• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

I have owned copies of both books that the aforementioned panels can be found in and saw no evidence of overt homosexuality. The bedroom scene is from Batman 84, and the others are from Batman 66..."The Joker's Comedy of Errors"....at that time "boner" was commonly used as a term meaning "mistake", which many a boner has led to. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If this was an isolated incident, MAYBE. :sick: Still it looks like one mattress, same stack of pillows and its just too damn close if you ask me. Guys a millionaire, shouldn't he have his own room. How about the "cold shower" comment. :eek:

How about it? He doesn't say let's shower together.

If this was an isolated incident, MAYBE. :sick: Still it looks like one mattress, same stack of pillows and its just too damn close if you ask me. Guys a millionaire, shouldn't he have his own room. How about the "cold shower" comment. :eek:

Well if someone says "I need a cold shower" why would they normally say that? Maybe in the 40's/50's it had a different meaning and if so then its my boner.

I have owned copies of both books that the aforementioned panels can be found in and saw no evidence of overt homosexuality. The bedroom scene is from Batman 84, and the others are from Batman 66..."The Joker's Comedy of Errors"....at that time "boner" was commonly used as a term meaning "mistake", which many a boner has led to. GOD BLESS...

I just finished "Paper Lion" which is a very funny book about a 30-something writer who joined the Detriot Lions training camp in 1963. He used "boner" in the sense of a "big mistake" so even years after the comic was published it did not yet have it's widespread modern connotation.

Well if someone says "I need a cold shower" why would they normally say that? Maybe in the 40's/50's it had a different meaning and if so then its my boner.

Nothing wipes the cobwebs away like a cold shower.

Nothing wipes the cobwebs away like a cold shower.

lol Makes a boner go away too.

using boner in that panel today sure looks queer... I mean out of place. But cmon, obviously its a case of words meanings and connotations changing over decades. Unless anyone thinks DC intended to say Bruce and were lovers! Back then that makes zero sense.

they were rich playboys who slept late, took lots of showers, and sunbathed together. Nothing wrong with that!

until recently ( in the 80s) most high end old school athletic clubs (like the NYAC) had rules that all men swim in the nude. No bathing trunks allowed. I kid you not! what we call swimming pools were referred to as baths.

How about in popular songs? "Have yourself a very merry christmas, make your yuletime gay...." thats not a subliminal message... just popular usage of the word at the time.

I can't help but wonder whether it was the simple naivete of the times, or whether there were writers who understood the cultural irony of two men living together and playing superheroes. Surely there must have been other comic writers like Patricia Highsmith who reveled in themes subversively disguised as funny book entertainment. Was it all a fluke or was there a running gag going among the writers? I guess we'll never know. There does seem to be a bit of sexual tension going on in 40's and 50's Batman.

batman.jpg

creepy-portrait.jpg

date.jpg

Jeff we are all just having fun with this but didn't SNL do a cartoon skit with Ace and Gary that was essentially based on exactly what we are talking about? Pretty sure it was Cap and Bucky they were poking fun at (no pun intended).

The Ambiguously Gay Duo. Every episode they'd put the two of them in situations that seemed outrageously gay, and every episode when someone around them would comment on it, they'd look puzzled and confused about what why anyone would ever think that...which reminds me directly of the interaction going on right now in this thread. lol

The guy who did all those cartoons on SNL was Robert Smigel. He also created and was the voice for Triumph the Insult Comic Dog on Conan O'Brien, which is by far the funniest thing that's ever been on that show. :applause:

batman84.gif

I think you may have killed the auction for this book with that one panel, good grief. A "cold shower and some breakfeast" WTF?? Two dudes in their pyjamas sharing the same bed followed by the gratuitous use of the word "bonner". doh!

Not that it matters, but I would argue that there are two beds. You can see the yellow wall between the two brown headboards.

jeff, argue away, but the heart wants, what the heart wants lol

:gossip: all in good fun

I just finished "Paper Lion" which is a very funny book about a 30-something writer who joined the Detriot Lions training camp in 1963. He used "boner" in the sense of a "big mistake" so even years after the comic was published it did not yet have it's widespread modern connotation.
boner, ie "bone head", etc (thumbs u

batman84.gif

I think you may have killed the auction for this book with that one panel, good grief. A "cold shower and some breakfeast" WTF?? Two dudes in their pyjamas sharing the same bed followed by the gratuitous use of the word "bonner". doh!

Not that it matters, but I would argue that there are two beds. You can see the yellow wall between the two brown headboards.

jeff, argue away, but the heart wants, what the heart wants lol

lol Rick