• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Two dudes in their pyjamas sharing the same bed followed by the gratuitous use of the word "bonner". doh!

The word had a much more innocuous meaning back then. So much so that a famous error that lost the NL pennant for the 1908 New York Giants has been forever known as "Merkle`s Boner."

How about the "cold shower" comment. :eek:

I think that in those days, a cold shower was probably considered healthy and energizing, rather than something that would be used to dampen an overactive libido.

until recently ( in the 80s) most high end old school athletic clubs (like the NYAC) had rules that all men swim in the nude. No bathing trunks allowed. I kid you not!

:eek:

what we call swimming pools were referred to as baths.

Are you sure about that, at least in the 1980s? I think even by the 1970s "the baths" in NYC were already a gay subculture reference. They`re where Bette Midler and Barry Manilow got their starts as performers.

until recently ( in the 80s) most high end old school athletic clubs (like the NYAC) had rules that all men swim in the nude. No bathing trunks allowed. I kid you not!

Are you sure about that, at least in the 1980s? I think even by the 1970s "the baths" in NYC were already a gay subculture reference. They`re where Bette Midler and Barry Manilow got their starts as performers.

ah, now those are 2 great 70's performers

Two dudes in their pyjamas sharing the same bed followed by the gratuitous use of the word "bonner". doh!

The word had a much more innocuous meaning back then. So much so that a famous error that lost the NL pennant for the 1908 New York Giants has been forever known as "Merkle`s Boner."

Not to mention the fact that those two panels aren't even from the same issue.

Not to mention the fact that those two panels aren't even from the same issue.

Apologist.

:baiting:

Maybe in the 40's/50's it had a different meaning and if so then its my boner.

By the 1950's at least half the older teens in America would have gotten the dual meaning of "boner"

George Plimpton of Paper Lion fame, came from an earlier generation.

I had a friend who swam at the NYAC on their AAU racing team in the late 70s and he definitely did not and could not wear a suit in practice in the baths. Yes the gay baths of the 70s 80s used the same term 'baths', but thats because they WERE baths, not lap pools. More like Russain schvitzes, for bathing, and socializing Roman style, and not swimming. Maybe the evolving meaning of "baths" after being closely associated with the gay Midler scene, (plus changing demographics in even the oldest old school Club establishments), hastened the greater use of pool over baths for their swimming pools.

so yes they swam nekkid. dont get me started on the huge, misty steam rooms you could get lost in, and the denizens lurking in the deepest recesses! probably church elders... seeking a little harmless fun in the old Roman tradition. or Greek.

Jeff we are all just having fun with this but didn't SNL do a cartoon skit with Ace and Gary that was essentially based on exactly what we are talking about? Pretty sure it was Cap and Bucky they were poking fun at (no pun intended).

The Ambiguously Gay Duo. Every episode they'd put the two of them in situations that seemed outrageously gay, and every episode when someone around them would comment on it, they'd look puzzled and confused about what why anyone would ever think that...which reminds me directly of the interaction going on right now in this thread. lol

The guy who did all those cartoons on SNL was Robert Smigel. He also created and was the voice for Triumph the Insult Comic Dog on Conan O'Brien, which is by far the funniest thing that's ever been on that show. :applause:

lol The guys defending Gary and Ace , I mean Batman and Robin are killing me. :roflmao:

Jeff we are all just having fun with this but didn't SNL do a cartoon skit with Ace and Gary that was essentially based on exactly what we are talking about? Pretty sure it was Cap and Bucky they were poking fun at (no pun intended).

The Ambiguously Gay Duo. Every episode they'd put the two of them in situations that seemed outrageously gay, and every episode when someone around them would comment on it, they'd look puzzled and confused about what why anyone would ever think that...which reminds me directly of the interaction going on right now in this thread. lol

The guy who did all those cartoons on SNL was Robert Smigel. He also created and was the voice for Triumph the Insult Comic Dog on Conan O'Brien, which is by far the funniest thing that's ever been on that show. :applause:

lol The guys defending Gary and Ace , I mean Batman and Robin are killing me. :roflmao:

We aim to please! (thumbs u

Well, you know...not please in that way... :blush:

For God's sake, someone please change this conversation.
+1

Man, that Batman #1 CGC 9.0 that Comiclink is auctioning is, um...awesome.

It sure is. It makes me feel gay happy!

For God's sake, someone please change this conversation.
+1

Man, that Batman #1 CGC 9.0 that Comiclink is auctioning is, um...awesome.

It sure is. It makes me feel gay happy!

doh!

To me it's not so much price but stigma. I'd always agree that genuine NM should go for more...I just hate to see people avoid something that would probably make them very happy just because they don't want to be seperated from the herd. The herd mentality is here to stay, it's ingrained human nature. It's just a shame when people miss out because of it. The chief examples for me are restored Fine and below. Those books have already been significantly altered by time and environment....what difference is a little resto ? If we're talking tear seals and slight color touch....some spine reinforcement.... I'd rather have the restored 5.0 than the unrestored. It will be more solid and durable. ...and throw in a supersize of staple replacement will you're at it :) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree completely about low grade restored, and often see comments about low grade restored books that have me scratching my head. If you're talking about a VGish book I really don't care all that much if the book has a little resto. And as you say, in a lot of cases the book is better off for it.

As for the stigma against restored books.. I think a huge part of the issue is that (1) it can be very difficult to quantify what's been done to a book without professional help, and (2) apparent grades are all over the map. Once you get past minor resto, a restored book is very much an unknown quantity.

That said, I have several restored books in my collection and will take a good looking restored book over a shabby looking unrestored low grade every time.

...and that is the main problem. Lack of understanding.

If the buyer of the restored Tec #27 that recently sold for $85K knew it was a 3.0-4.0 book before resto the book would like have sold for almost double.

It's the lack of education and understanding that create a fear of restored books.

Does that mean that a Tec27 blue label 3.0-4.0 book would cost around 170 K in the current market ? (shrug)

What would you guys prefer:

(i) A blue 3.0-4.0 as is. Or

(ii) A 3.0-4.0 book restored up to 8.5 ?

Most would probably say (i). But is (ii) out of the question? As JimJum said: you get a gorgious and more durable copy if restored?

:takeit: