• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Question: Is this the next million dollar comic ?? Is it possible at all in anyone's opinion ??
I would be shocked if this particular copy hit 250K

Ah, what do you know about Batman?

:baiting:

He knows that, investment wise, if you have one it must be on a downward spiral :baiting:

:o

Shocking yes, but, considering that there are some many more Batman # 1's available than any single Pre-Robin Tec it sounds believable. And seeing as how Gator has owned over 10 Batman #1's over the years - I am inclined to believe his theory.

And let's crunch some number real quick. I'll compare to 2 Pre-Robins Tecs

Tec 27 - 45 TOTAL CGC graded

Tec 35 - 31 TOTAL CGC graded

Batman 1 - 135 TOTAL CGC graded.

There are a lot of Batman 1's out there. And as long as you have the cash ready you can find one "relatively easier than a Pre-Robin Tec" (for the most part that is)

Question: Is this the next million dollar comic ?? Is it possible at all in anyone's opinion ??

He knows that, investment wise, if you have one it must be on a downward spiral :baiting:

Shocking yes, but, considering that there are some many more Batman # 1's available than any single Pre-Robin Tec it sounds believable. And seeing as how Gator has owned over 10 Batman #1's over the years - I am inclined to believe his theory.

There are a lot of Batman 1's out there. And as long as you have the cash ready you can find one "relatively easier than a Pre-Robin Tec" (for the most part that is)

Then why don't I have one yet :baiting:

I was being sarcastic. Bat-man #1 has been on anything but a downward spiral.

(shrug)

I think Bedrock was just teasing me because I just picked up my copy.

:grin:

You tell me! ;)

As popular as pre-Batman Tecs are, there's far more demand for Batman #1.

You tell me! ;)

I dunno what to tell you :cry:

There are only a "lot" of Batman ones compared to pre-robin tecs but when you compare them to hulk 181s or spider-man 129s Batman 1s are virtually non-existent. The total number of mint-ish copies of either of those books would far exceed the total number of all grades for Batman 1, yet people seem to accept that a mint-ish hulk 181 should be as much as or even more than a low grade Batman 1. It's undervalued, and it's very rare, compared to how many people in the world know about it and would probably be interested in having one. It's one of the few books that tempts people who are completely outside the hobby (and many of those people would have no clue what you mean by the words "pre-robin tec."

this batman, in the current environment, certainly has potential to hit 250K and beyond... batman has been on the upswing for 2 straight years, and I suspect will continue to be on the upswing (thumbs u

There are only a "lot" of Batman ones compared to pre-robin tecs but when you compare them to hulk 181s or spider-man 129s Batman 1s are virtually non-existent. The total number of mint-ish copies of either of those books would far exceed the total number of all grades for Batman 1, yet people seem to accept that a mint-ish hulk 181 should be as much as or even more than a low grade Batman 1. It's undervalued, and it's very rare, compared to how many people in the world know about it and would probably be interested in having one. It's one of the few books that tempts people who are completely outside the hobby (and many of those people would have no clue what you mean by the words "pre-robin tec."

I remember the first time I saw a copy. It was coverless and hanging on a wall at a comic shop in Buffalo, NY. The guy wanted an outrageous price of $500 for it during the height of the Batman movie craze in 1989.

I for one, certainly know some folks that I wish didn't have a "."... oh wait, wrong forum

But you may have stumbled on the answer. The customer service rep looked at the first covers off the press and said "You missed a period." Then all the guys saidthey had nothing to do with it and ran out of the room.

lol

well, in that case, the mechanical was wrong... it was typeset wrong. happens all the time, and noone at DC caught it. Though, some dope who never graduated high school running the press rushing to add some dumb period to a number might have mistakenly put it closer to the 1 and his bosses, later looking at the new plate that slowed them down a few hours then let it go.

but, that doesnt make as much sense. Replating is the more costly solution. Adding the period necessitates a new plate be made. Takes hours. These were metal plates back then. And, if it was the period was then wrong again? I dont think DC says aww shucks go ahead and print it. If you bother to fix something costing that much time and money, it had better be right. UNLESS - -- they made the printer EAT the job at that point.

so it still makes more sense to me that the misplaced period was scraped off.

but that doesnt explain the period version being more common today..'

what to do... what to do.

Maybe the guys were sitting around at the printing plant and decided to do some totally random, trivial things with the cover so that decades later, a bunch of comic nerds would spend hours and hours twisting themselves up into knots in debate. (shrug)

You know, I just have to say

"You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a period! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little Comic, that I collected as a lark for many years, into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME! "

Don't EVER collect coins....

;)

doh!:gossip: It was tongue and cheek. The actual line is from the Saturday Night Live Star Trek spoof where William Shatner tells all the Star Trek dorks to get a life. The banter and theorizing folks were doing reminded me of that scene. I changed a few works to put it in the comic context.

Interesting. So you think that in this era of skyrocketing GA prices, this copy will sell for less than its peer did several years ago?

Interesting. So you think that in this era of skyrocketing GA prices, this copy will sell for less than its peer did several years ago?

in a vacuum, it should...only because the 280K copy clearly looks superior to this copy (to me)... no top edge chip, no erased "s", better pq, etc... and that copy took almost 2 years to find a buyer at 280K...

that said, this copy "should" sell for less, because while the number is the same, its eye appeal is a grade less to me ... however, while I would be "shocked", it certainly has the potential to blow past the previous copy's price... and it probably will (thumbs u

in a vacuum, it should...only because the 280K copy clearly looks superior to this copy (to me)... no top edge chip, no erased "s", better pq, etc... and that copy took almost 2 years to find a buyer at 280K...

that said, this copy "should" sell for less, because while the number is the same, its eye appeal is a grade less to me ... however, while I would be "shocked", it certainly has the potential to blow past the previous copy's price... and it probably will (thumbs u

Hmm. Well taking two years to sell a copy, three years ago is a long time.

Back then AF #15's in 9.4 were still $100K books...tops. Action #1's had never sold over $300K and Batman was just picking up steam.

You would think that the previous selling price would be an absolute bottom for this book now.

Does John D's buyer need a copy?

But that assumes that the $280K 9.0 copy would still go for only $280K in today`s market. If it would go for, say, $500K, then this "inferior" 9.0 copy could sell for $400K and still achieve a new record while also still being less than the better copy.

Not saying it would sell for anything close to $400-500K, those are numbers I`m just making up for illustrative purposes. I just don`t get the demand for Batman #1, just like I`ve never gotten the demand for ASM #1.

Good points. But I am not comparing a Batman 1 to a Hulk 181 or an ASM 129. Frankly there is no comparison. Batman 1 is far rarer than either of those books. So whether we are talking mint or what have you it really is hard to make a comparison.

All I said is that it is easier to find a Batman 1 than any single Pre-Robin Tec. And that is very true. If you have the cash you can buy a Batman 1 in general relatively easier than a Pre-Robin Tec . If you have the cash for a Pre-Robin you can NOT find any single one easier than a Batman 1.

All I said is that it is easier to find a Batman 1 than any single Pre-Robin Tec. And that is very true. If you have the cash you can buy a Batman 1 in general relatively easier than a Pre-Robin Tec . If you have the cash for a Pre-Robin you can NOT find any single one easier than a Batman 1.

Batman 1 is not just easier to find than any pre-Robin Tec, it is easier to find than ANY GA mega-key. It is not hard to find, full stop.

Think about it, there are THREE 9.0 copies that have been graded, and there are probably at least several other copies of similar grade or better in existence. As much as some of us like to give MC 1 a hard time, Batman 1 dwarfs MC 1 in terms of common-ness.

The only other GA mega-key that even comes close is Captain America 1.

My thoughts then and now (I made this exact comment almost 2 yrs ago when it sold for 280k) was that the realized price was "two years ahead of the market"... Well 2 yrs have passed and I feel the 9.0 at around a 300k is now "validated" and I see no reason why it would be a double in price book today?

My thoughts are the price paid then is what it should sell for today (thumbs u