• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone like stickers?

8 posts in this topic

Earlier in the week I started a thread about how many original comic book owners( Crippen-Eldon-Rockford-Etc.) made a mark on their books to identify them as their books. The thought of the thread was to see what people on the board thought about modern day collectors "marking" their Golden Age books (definitely not marking on the book or in it) and slabs similar to the way Heritage recently marked 'The Pinnacle Hill Collection' with a sticker on the outside of the slab within the label. The first thread went a little sideways when the word urine was used as a possible way to mark your books. I got a good laugh out of it, but I am moving forward with my thoughts in this new thread.

Without much feedback from the prior thread, I decided to move forward with my idea/thoughts about marking my own books like the pinnacle hill books with a sticker. Some of you on the board know me well and know that I really like my Planet Comics run that I have on the CGC registry. I thought it would be cool to come up with a logo/mark for my collection and number system to keep up with the order that I obtained each book.

I am not a great artist, but I had a lot of fun drawing the logo below. I eyed the logo from the early planet books and took the inspiration and made this logo with the overenthusiastic help and input from my 9, 7, and 3 year old kids who loved the idea of us making a sticker together. The name of my Planet Comics registry set is"Marathon Planet",

003.jpg

After 2-3 hours of fun drawing with my kids(they all drew something similar too), $9.99 + tax at Staples for a pack of Avery brand customizeable sticker labels, and about an hour on the computer adjusting the template we had a sticker.

3-18-10034.jpg

The sticker has the logo with a number inside the bottom area of the planet. The number represents the order in which I purchased that book within the Planet run. I don't have a scanner, so the logo looks a little lighter than normal in the pictures due to the lighting and flash.

3-18-10030.jpg

So, in summary, with little $$ invested and some great time with my kids, I am happy with the outcome and have only put stickers on a few of the books so far, but will "stick" the rest very soon. I also want to make sure that anyone reading this doesn't think I am making my own pedigree, or I am some elitist or whatever. I am trying to have some extra fun with my Planet collection and mark their order at the same time.

Thread question: Has anyone ever done anything similar to their GOlden Age books? What do you think about the idea/concept? Cool, silly, useless, fun, etc.

I would love to hear some feedback.

Thank you to all who said nice things in the thread or through PM's about this project. I put stickers on all the books tonight except one. While I had them out, I took a group photo and a couple shots of my favorites for today (favorites change every day). I was going to put them on the stairs for the photo, but I just couldn't do it with 3 little ones up the stairs. It would be a disaster if one came down the stairs unexpectedly. Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the group shot....with stickers.

mar222010012.jpg

mar222010017.jpg

mar222010015.jpg

mar222010020.jpg

mar222010021.jpg

mar222010012.jpg
There are some really nice copies in that set!!! :applause: