• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Return Policies

62 posts in this topic

"Satisfaction Guaranteed"

If you're going to make that statement, then back it up.

Buying an overgraded book from someone hyping their strict grading, and receiving something less than expected is bad enough. Adding to the hassel is having to get in to a debate over why you disagree with the grade.

If you are confident in your grading and offer a "satisfaction guaranteed" return policy. Then don't even discuss it with the buyer, just take the return, and be cool about it.

Also, what's with the buyer expecting to eat the shipping on a return? Sure there are people that will just cost you money here and there for various reasons by returning books they should not really return. In my experience that rarely happens though, and a good seller should chalk it up as part of the cost of doing business.

If you're going to offer "satisfaction guaranteed" then make it that way. Who wants to pay $5 - $10 shipping both ways just to return a book that was less than expected. Especially anything that costs less then $100.

...and skip the debate, excuses, and partial refund BS. Just take the return back, refund the money, and be a good seller.

END rantrant

I can't remember the last time I bought a raw book & was happy with the assigned grade.

Being that the books I buy are usually under $50....I very rarely return books for a refund. I usually just keep the book & avoid the seller in the future.

im dealing with something like this now....bought two books "9.2" asked if they come back from cgc way lower can i return them...they came back 6.5 and 7.0...took them back only to be told by the owner on the phone...how do i know they are the same books?? i dont know you like that? even tho the worker who sold me the 1st one said " yup thats them" and remember me and remember the owner telling me again i could bring them back when i bought the 2nd one....so now i have a meeting with him mon when he gets "in" .......what a very poor way of running a shop.....

im dealing with something like this now....bought two books "9.2" asked if they come back from cgc way lower can i return them...they came back 6.5 and 7.0...took them back only to be told by the owner on the phone...how do i know they are the same books?? i dont know you like that? even tho the worker who sold me the 1st one said " yup thats them" and remember me and remember the owner telling me again i could bring them back when i bought the 2nd one....so now i have a meeting with him mon when he gets "in" .......what a very poor way of running a shop.....

You can't tell the difference between 6.5/7.0 & 9.2? :baiting:

I can't remember the last time I bought a raw book & was happy with the assigned grade.

Being that the books I buy are usually under $50....I very rarely return books for a refund. I usually just keep the book & avoid the seller in the future.

:sorry:

they look 9.2 but i didnt know much about tanning and how much cgc down grades it.. ...so they were knock down hard...i did ask about it when i looked inside the book but he told me its not a big deal and then reminded me i COULD bring them back so i thought i had nothing to lose.....but then this happen

Sweet!!

An MCMiles biotch session!!

I gotta get in on this puppy.

I have learned to adopt this dude's return policy:

(thumbs u

His policy is what Mike is promoting: always accept the return.

I have learned that this guy

(thumbs u
has the best policy for this reason:

In my experience [returns] rarely happen though, and a good seller should chalk it up as part of the cost of doing business.

If we're talking about a blatant error like C-Mack is mentioning, then certainly the seller needs to cover all costs to make this right. I'm undecided about requiring someone to cover slabbing fees but a full return on the item's sale price and shipping for sure.

Now, if someone disagrees with the grading and we're talking about a minor difference in grading, I honestly don't believe the seller needs to cover the shipping costs. If the grade is legitimately arguable--say sold as a 9.2 and the buyer believes it's more like a 9.0, well, then it's on the buyer to cover the return because I do feel there is going to be some margin of difference between how two people grade and that sort of difference says to me that the dealer was within a reasonable tolerance of error. In that case, refunding the full sale price should be a given however I see no obligation to refund shipping costs as well. Sure, it'd be great if every seller undergraded but that's just not the reality we experience.

I'm guessing though Mike, we're not talking about one single step in grading difference though which does make a significant difference (since it removes the seller from being within that reasonable margin of error). Sorry for the frustrating experience! :foryou:

*Edit* I typically only buy from other collectors or people here on the boards and NOT any of the big dealer (again, unless those dealers sell here on the boards), SO that could probably skew my view on this issue since I'm not directly addressing businesses but fellow collectors.

Agreed. I bought a couple of books from Mark Wilson a few years back with a "no questions asked" return policy. One had a big tear or chunk out or something and I called to return it and his employee was giving me a big hassle. I finally just said, "Isn't this a no questions asked return?" and he finally let it go. Pizzed me off at the time. If you say something, back it up.