• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicshares.com, sounds like a good ideal...Is it??

38 posts in this topic

if run by the "right" folks, then the concept is sound.... obviously, from viewing this site, these are not the "right" folks

When you put your Tec #27-37 run up for sale there were a few of us looking to do the same thing a few years back. Basically a small handful of people divide the initial cost and hold the books for 4-5 years to recoup on investment.

People do it all the time.

This site's valuations on every comic they've got listed is high by 10% to 30% or more...that just seems fishy as all get-out. I don't know how they'd keep up with market pricing closely enough.

This site's valuations on every comic they've got listed is high by 10% to 30% or more...that just seems fishy as all get-out. I don't know how they'd keep up with market pricing closely enough.
that site may very well likely be looking to "take advantage" (maybe not, just hazarding a guess)...

but, as roy said, folks do it all the time, comic book collectors/lovers, investors, and combo of the 2...

problem is, with any market, even the experts get it wrong sometimes...

that site may very well likely be looking to "take advantage" (maybe not, just hazarding a guess)...

but, as roy said, folks do it all the time, comic book collectors/lovers, investors, and combo of the 2...

problem is, with any market, even the experts get it wrong sometimes...

Bernie May , Bernie Maldrop, no wait, ... Bernie Mydup, wait... it'll come to me.

if run by the "right" folks, then the concept is sound.... obviously, from viewing this site, these are not the "right" folks

When you put your Tec #27-37 run up for sale there were a few of us looking to do the same thing a few years back. Basically a small handful of people divide the initial cost and hold the books for 4-5 years to recoup on investment.People do it all the time.

Thats the thing though, you got to not only find people you can trust but also have the patience to wait it out those 4-5 years as you suggested. ;)

When you put your Tec #27-37 run up for sale there were a few of us looking to do the same thing a few years back. Basically a small handful of people divide the initial cost and hold the books for 4-5 years to recoup on investment.People do it all the time.

Thats the thing though, you got to not only find people you can trust but also have the patience to wait it out those 4-5 years as you suggested. ;)

there are books that I see double digit returns on in a week... more the exception of course, but if you are savy, the deals are always out there...

1-2 years is good, 4-5 years might be better... timing really is "key"

I found this site that sounds like a good idea if you can't afford to buy the hg key issue. I saw a Hulk #181 in there but it is only a 9.6, you think with all the 9.8's that have poped up they would get one (shrug). Well I saw some shares for it for a sale but I don't know if this site is a scam or not. You would think they would have bought a HG GL #76, AF #15, Hulk #1, FF #1, or some other key books in the GA. Heck, some of the people on here could do it with the right buisness plan. I would sure do that but I own Bronze to copper age and not the demand like Golden and Silver dose.

Any ways what is the scoop on this site and is buying shares to that Hulk 181 they have a bad idea?

I'm all for co-owning something if you are in a buisness or partnership with someone else, but this idea of buying shares of a 30k comic with others is just plain stupid.

Depends who the others are. There are a number of folks here I'd be honored to share a $30,000 investment with.

How exactly do you fairly and equitably divest yourself out of such an arrangement? Unless you're doing it with the explicit intent of reselling the book, it seems fraught with potential problems. If you go into it just for investment, then if one person has to divest, it just forces everyone's hand into selling at that time, at which point everyone's stake gets distributed. Any other arrangement could easily cause conflict if the timing is wrong...seems like a recipe for disaster. :blush:

Depends who the others are. There are a number of folks here I'd be honored to share a $30,000 investment with.

How exactly do you fairly and equitably divest yourself out of such an arrangement? Unless you're doing it with the explicit intent of reselling the book, it seems fraught with potential problems. If you go into it just for investment, then if one person has to divest, it just forces everyone's hand into selling at that time, at which point everyone's stake gets distributed.

It's like the Hotel California... once you check in, you can never leave!

:devil:

How exactly do you fairly and equitably divest yourself out of such an arrangement? Unless you're doing it with the explicit intent of reselling the book, it seems fraught with potential problems. If you go into it just for investment, then if one person has to divest, it just forces everyone's hand into selling at that time, at which point everyone's stake gets distributed. Any other arrangement could easily cause conflict if the timing is wrong...seems like a recipe for disaster. :blush:

Of course you'd be buying the book to resell it- thats what an investment is.. We aren't talking about buying a book to pass around and read. I'd handle it just like i would the half dozen of so partnerships agreements I've had in the past. You write out a contract spelling out terms. We buy for X, we sell for Y. If the price reachs Y and one party doesn't want to sell, the other party recieves 1/2 Y and is done with his investment.

It wouldn't be like we are reinventing the market. I suspect there are hundreds of similar arraingements out there as we speak.

Those are weighty issues indeed, which are completely unprecedented. Hard to believe it's 2010 and those types of issues have never been dealt with before.

Oh no, wait a minute, those types of issues exist in every investment deal and are addressed in standard limited partnership agreements, shareholder agreements and joint venture agreements all the time! :baiting: My favorite exit provision is the "double suicide" clause.

I would hope that anyone participating in a venture like this is using a proper investment framework that contemplates exactly these kinds of issues so that they are all addressed upfront in writing and the parties know exactly what they're getting themselves into.

Those are weighty issues indeed, which are completely unprecedented. Hard to believe it's 2010 and those types of issues have never been dealt with before.

Oh no, wait a minute, those types of issues exist in every investment deal and are addressed in standard limited partnership agreements, shareholder agreements and joint venture agreements all the time! :baiting: My favorite exit provision is the "double suicide" clause.

I would hope that anyone participating in a venture like this is using a proper investment framework that contemplates exactly these kinds of issues so that they are all addressed upfront in writing and the parties know exactly what they're getting themselves into.

I'm partial to the ole' shot gun clause myself.

My view:

1)Usually the operators fare better than the investors.

Someone with brains, putting in the effort, often make the real returns. If early enough investors sometimes get lucky. I prefer to be the manager (thumbs u

2)A partnership looks the best after an extended period of rising prices. However, they might be a poor investment in that environment.

Try to sell a partnership in a bear market. Everyone loves to buy today's winners and project from there. In the late 90's equity investors played he game of buying high to sell higher. Are comics near that stage?

3)If the managers have little skin in the game do they care how much they pay for the books?

I would pay any price for the "big four" books ..... with your money.

4)Often, ltd partnerships have little liquidity. In the unlikely case that one needs to sell their interest can they get a reasonable bid? Can the partnership really value the inventory properly in all markets? What is the bid / asked spread on the top books?

Who is going to buy shares at anywhere close to market value in a falling market? Discounts will prove to be immense.

Just a few thoughts.

I asked because I don't work in a financial or investment-related profession and don't know how people work it, not because I thought humanity had yet to solve the problem. :makepoint:

3)If the managers have little skin in the game do they care how much they pay for the books?

I would pay any price for the "big four" books ..... with your money.

This seems clearly evident as a problem in the inflated prices they're listing on that site.