• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Issues with particular widespread flaws

19 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anybody has noticed any specific flaw or problem with a particular issue of a given run. Something you see in multiple copies, maybe most.

The ones I seem to run into and notice are the extreme distributor's overspray on ASM 102s and a popped staple on ASM 62s.

Anybody have other stories/examples? hm

All Marvels issued in late February and early March 1966 are noticably miswrapped with the front going around to the back by 1/8" to 1/4". The issues I remember off the top of my head that this affects are Spidey #33 and FF #48.

Completely ignores them up until about 9.8...and even then, they ain't too arsed. :insane:

They don't completely ignore them, although they do tend to downgrade less for them, which drives me insane--a defect is a defect is a defect regardless of when it occurred. doh! I've seen definite downgrading for Marvel chipping and Qualified grades given to bad miscuts.

Completely ignores them up until about 9.8...and even then, they ain't too arsed. :insane:

They don't completely ignore them

Unless they're serious (like massive Marvel chipping) they certainly do, and Steve & Co. have stated this on here.

Amazing Adventures 11's... infamous black, horizontal, top staple smudging.

Defenders 10... with a very high percentage of miswraps (many books like this, also Black Panther 1)

Hulk 181... a decent percentage have vertical "white speckling" along the spine in varying subtlety. I presume it's where something "sticky" accidentally adhered to a roller or plate preventing standard ink transfer to the cover stock.

Unless they're serious (like massive Marvel chipping) they certainly do, and Steve & Co. have stated this on here.

Can't just blanketly state they don't deduct for manufacturing defects though--they do weigh the severity of the defect. I'm sure you and Flaming are mostly referring to the ones CGC considers minor that you think are more severe like minor miswraps and miscuts. They deduct heavily for these, too, if they're overly severe, such as uncommon books that are cut like trapezoids with 45-degree angled-edges or books where instead of a 1/4" back-to-front miswrap it's a 3-inch back-to-front miswrap.

avengers #57 has 2 production "dents" along the spine,1 above the bottom staple,and 1 below the top staple...they look like " ] " in shape,as well as a small yellow speck area on the right edge in black...almost all copies have both of these.

Every single Direct market copy of Cap #241 I have ever seen has a horizontal printer's crease, of varying severity, in the bottom right quadrant of the cover.

Batman #427s are also notorious for this, but not as frequently.