• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #71 and #109 CGC SS Jerry Robinson

31 posts in this topic

IMG_1498.jpg

Batman is my favorite and unfortunately I cannot get a CGC SS book of Bob Kane or Bill Finger because they are long passed. But thankfully one of the most important people to the Batman beginnings is still alive and well. Jerry Robinson is one of my all time favorites.

:cool:

Very cool books. I got a print from him a few years ago of that #71.

He was a very nice person, wanted to talk forever.

batmansigner.jpg

By vpcomix72, shot with X450,D535Z,C370Z at 2010-03-13

That is a really neat print!

I am glad one of the greats is still alive and well. And it is nice to know that in person he is nice.

Would very much like to meet him one day. :grin:

IMG_1498.jpg

Batman is my favorite and unfortunately I cannot get a CGC SS book of Bob Kane or Bill Finger because they are long passed. But thankfully one of the most important people to the Batman beginnings is still alive and well. Jerry Robinson is one of my all time favorites.

I'm pretty sure the Detective 71 was mine. I think I had it done at SD 2007 and sold it late on Comiclink. I also had a 69 signed but it was too FUBAR to be slabbed due to an overhang. I didn't have the hart to have nicer copies signed.

I'm still hoping Chandler is able to put together a signing with Jerry. Danny/MK was able to get me a signature from him on the Batman #1 USPS post card but I'd really like his signature on some of my GA books--particularly my Batman # 11 and possibly my Batman #2.

I'm still hoping Chandler is able to put together a signing with Jerry. Danny/MK was able to get me a signature from him on the Batman #1 USPS post card but I'd really like his signature on some of my GA books--particularly my Batman # 11 and possibly my Batman #2.

Jerry Robinson is going to be at SDCC again, so I'm sure Chandler would be able to get a sig for you.

I met Jerry last year at SDCC, I got a signed print from him and he let me take a picture with him.

IMG_1498.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Detective 71 was mine. I think I had it done at SD 2007 and sold it late on Comiclink. I also had a 69 signed but it was too FUBAR to be slabbed due to an overhang. I didn't have the hart to have nicer copies signed.

Cool! :applause:

I love the boards because collectors can chat and see who owned what and who owns it now.

This must have been yours - it is the only CGC SS 71 2.5 on the census!

I am greatly enjoying it - thanks for getting it signed (worship)

(to bad the $$$ I paid for it did not go directly to you :( )

batmansigner.jpg

Very cool pic! It's always good to talk to the pioneers of the golden age. Most of those guys love to talk because they go to a show and almost nobody knows who they are so they sit for four days by themselves.

A crappy job by con promoters not to high lite them more. They did a hell of a lot more than a bunch of these new guys and they are all but forgotten in a back corner.

Last story real quick: A couple of years ago I went to Big Apple in the NYC. I damn near passed out when I found THE Bernie Wrightson pushed up in a corner all by himself (with his wife). I was amazed. Now I kick myself in the tush because he was selling original art from Steven King's A Buick 8 for $200 each. I didn't have a lot of cash and didn't get any! Major Duh!

Bottom line is love the old guys, they deserve it and there's not a whole lot of em left.

batmansigner.jpg

Very cool pic! It's always good to talk to the pioneers of the golden age. Most of those guys love to talk because they go to a show and almost nobody knows who they are so they sit for four days by themselves.

A crappy job by con promoters not to high lite them more. They did a hell of a lot more than a bunch of these new guys and they are all but forgotten in a back corner.

Last story real quick: A couple of years ago I went to Big Apple in the NYC. I damn near passed out when I found THE Bernie Wrightson pushed up in a corner all by himself (with his wife). I was amazed. Now I kick myself in the tush because he was selling original art from Steven King's A Buick 8 for $200 each. I didn't have a lot of cash and didn't get any! Major Duh!

Bottom line is love the old guys, they deserve it and there's not a whole lot of em left.

I can't believe this! That is so crazy and ironic. The greatest are the ones ignored? (shrug)

Collectors today need to be educated on the greats!

If I ever met Jerry Robinson - I would be floored. I mean its Jerry Robinson! The man who is the (disputed) creator of the Joker and who was a major contributor to Robin. And the man who did some of the most memorable and classic art and covers of all time! He played a very important role to the early Batman books. And he is the only one left. (worship)

I need to get to some more conventions and meet this man one day. *If my schedule will allow* :cry:

Yes it does suck the way the old timers are treated. Their contributions to the comic industry are the foundation of the business. When I saw him, I didn't really recognize his face, but when I saw his name I knew exactly who he was. I stayed there for like half hour talking about Batman and the golden era. I'm sure he could of kept talking for hours about his work. I could tell he really enjoys talking about it. Not to many people were stopping at his booth. I am glad I had this time with him. Hopefully at future cons we can talk again.

The funny thing is, I'm not really a big DC fan, but he made it interesting. I do enjoy a good history lesson.

My only one and I am glad to have it!

10yl69t.jpg