• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the better pedigree curator or pacific coast???

31 posts in this topic

im getting my first pacific coast book soon and wanted to know what you guys think the better pedigree is . the curators i have imho blow the northlands,oaklands,and winnipegs i own out of the water,but i have always heard the pcs were some of the best confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the Curators are actually fewer in number, as was my understanding

The currently known copies are fewer in number, but the collection was originally a complete or near-complete Silver/Bronze Marvel and DC run that went right up to the late 80s, or maybe later. The original owner also owned a huge Golden Age collection, but everything but the Daredevils, Spideys, X-Men, and one or both of the "Tales" titles were gone by the time the currently slabbed copies were bought.

I suspect it depends on the title and year under consideration. For instance, my experience with Northland books is that the early 60s Marvels have fantastic color and whiteness preservation, whereas books from the late 60s have less good page quality and cover whiteness. I am unfamiliar with Curator DCs, and with Boston books from the early 60s, but the few early 60s Massachusetts books I've seen would have to rank right up there with tremendous color preservation. The Pacific Coast books have amazing structure, flatness and registration, if you go for that sort of thing (wink).

["Believing is seeing"]

YAWN sleeping.gif no offense, but i've been saying since DAY 1 that the original owner (PC) pedigree is the best SA pedigree, while others formites were fawning over curator's and western penn's back in 2002. foreheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif but then again....seeing is believing. 893scratchchin-thumb.giflaugh.gifflowerred.gif

Did you ever finish that pedigree article you were working on? confused.gif

I stopped doing it after I confirmed with Matt Nelson that he's writing a book about pedigrees. I didn't want to compete with anybody or do duplicate research...I particularly didn't want to start interviewing a bunch of people and then have them all get interviewed again by him. I may still contribute some info about Silver Age pedigrees to the book...I need to e-mail him now that you mention it.

The only Curator DCs that I've seen thus far are Hawkman #1, CGC 9.8 white pages, and My Greatest Adventure #80, CGC 9.6 white pages. I seem to recall that the PC MGA #80 was also a 9.6, but can't remember what its page quality was.

If either of these are representative examples of pre-1965 Curator DCs, then you'd have to think the PC collection might potentially rival, if not surpass, the PC collection, although I am not sure how complete the Curator runs are.

The whereabouts of the vast majority of the PC and Curator DCs are a mystery. If anyone has any insights, please share them with us!

Are you sure the Hawkman 1 CGC 9.8 wasn't the Pacific Coast copy, as I recall seeing it on ComicLink a while back. The reason that I am asking is that I am sure that the Curator copies of Hawkman 1 and Atom 1 were on ComicLink late last year and were graded 9.0. John Hauser has auctioned off a few Curator DCs lately but the highest grades for them were 9.4.

I'm positive it was Curator, that's one reason it stood out in my mind. Plus, Josh worked pretty hard at trying to get me to buy it, but I ultimately passed because the asking price was just too high.

Which Curator DCs has Hauser been selling, and where has he been selling, on eBay?

I'm positive it was Curator, that's one reason it stood out in my mind. Plus, Josh worked pretty hard at trying to get me to buy it, but I ultimately passed because the asking price was just too high.

Which Curator DCs has Hauser been selling, and where has he been selling, on eBay?

Well...one of us may be mistaken but I was pretty sure that the Atom 1 and Hawkman 1 CGC 9.0 Curator copies were listed late last year. I'm pretty sure that I saw them listed on eBay by comgeekI do recall seeing a Hawkman 1 CGC 9.8 a few years ago on ComicLink. Maybe Josh can confirm it. John Hauser listed a few books on eBay.. I only recall the WW 177 CGC 9.4 WP selling for over $300. The Strange Adventures 190 CGC 9.4 was relisted recently and didn't meet the reserve --> Link

Curators have white pages (sometimes ow to w and on 2 occasions ow - both ASMs 15). They are flat and beautiful, just like the Pacific Coasts. Many, if not a majority, of the curators I've seen have the distributor's stripe on the top. Pacific Coasts have no such tell-tale sign.

Since the PC has a more documented CGC run, it has to be considered the better overall pedigree because of its depth and breadth (for instance many of the curators aren't slabbed, like the FFs). Overall, both collections probably average a 9.5 per book (at least), with curators having better page quality and with PCs having no distributor stripes.

I seem to favor the PC's, but that's entirely subjective since I have the early runs and they're so killer. But curators are at least right up there with the PCs, if not a very close second. All other SA pedigrees follow these two.

I have some PC's, a couple of curator's and they are all stunning but the surprise for me is that the Cleveland's I bought from COMGEEK are just as stunning. It amazes me that better marketing of that find wasn't undertaken.