• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

The strict adherence to, and subsequent requirement of, all threads to remain "on topic" will produce exactly the type of response that is being complained about in this very thread: a stale, boring, stifling environment.

Most threads are not "open ended" topics like this one; that is, they are either topics for which there is a short, quick answer ("What's the best scanner for slabs?"), topics for which there really is no necessary response (" Giordano, RIP"), or topics that are simply pointing out something that interested the poster.

Very few topics invite actual discourse. Demanding that all threads remain "on topic"...which is contrary to human nature, as such restricted interaction occurs ONLY in the business world, where it is forced...will succeed in killing a good deal of the interaction that occurs here on a daily basis.

Message boards are not workplaces. They are not seminars. They are not symposiums, or panels, or programs.

They are cocktail parties, and basketball courts, and pot lucks, and barn dances.

In other words, they're a place where people of common interests meet, and share those common interests, and maybe a few not-so-common interests that may become common.

Trying to enforce structure where there is little is stifling, controlling, and off-putting. Instead of a "dedication to on-topicness", you'll have even MORE people afraid to respond because what they have to say might be deemed "off-topic", and therefore complained about, by someone else.

Sorry, but that's just human nature. I have never in my life, outside of a work environment...and often not there, either...had any conversation which stuck to one topic, only that one topic, and never strayed from that topic in the slightest.

It's just not how people interact.

Some of THE BEST conversations that have ever been had on this board (or any board) changed topics several times within the same thread. In fact, there's a thread going on right now in Copper that I am enjoying immensely, and it's changed topics THREE TIMES in a little over 250 posts.

My recommendation to anyone and everyone who has an issue with people posting irrelevant, off topic posts: lighten up. Learn to scroll past. How long does it take to see a Haiku and mentally ignore it and move on to the next post? 1/3rd of a second? Maybe a little more for the slower among us? If you want the thread back on topic, the answer is simple: post an on topic response.

Piece of cake.

Exceedingly well said sir. And I am in total agreement with your commentary (thumbs u