• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

I'm more than willing to just simply remove members without any real concrete provocation other than a general history of contentiousness. Get on with a more peaceful and friendly board atmosphere. Or I will make it happen through the much more convenient approach of simply getting rid of everyone who appears to be contributing negativity.

G-d, if only this were true :wishluck:

I'm more than willing to just simply remove members without any real concrete provocation other than a general history of contentiousness. Get on with a more peaceful and friendly board atmosphere. Or I will make it happen through the much more convenient approach of simply getting rid of everyone who appears to be contributing negativity.

Um, did you pull that from another thread about me?

:eek:

not unless you posted under a different ID in 2002. if so, then yes.

actually, you should just assume this was about you :foryou:

not unless you posted under a different ID in 2002. if so, then yes.

actually, you should just assume this was about you :foryou:

lol

actually, it was from Feb of 2003.

check out the prescience of Arch in this little gem from the same post;

It boggles my mind that some number of you simply can't or won't understand the Terms of Use. There are alot of boards on the net. Many of them over time develop a culture of cliques, and jaded, bitter, short-sighted negativity. This eventually drives the purpose of the boards into the ground and changes the culture of those forums from a gathering place for people to meet and talk into what is instead a private club for a few individuals. This is true because inevitably there are a number of people who have infinite patience for conflict, while those who simply don't want to spend their time on conflict eventually dissappear out of fatigue. Usually the level of banter and joke-around posting goes up, while the quality posts that are related to the actual TOPIC disappear.

Is this really what you want for these boards? Because some of you are well on the way to creating this kind of person_without_enough_empathyy-high-school-clique atmosphere. You should think hard about what your role ought to be on these boards.

emphasis mine. and before anyone asks, no, i am not thinking about anyone in particular, nor am i trying to make any statements about members or their actions. just thought it was interesting, considering the post is over 7 years old

actually, it was from Feb of 2003.

check out the prescience of Arch in this little gem from the same post;

It boggles my mind that some number of you simply can't or won't understand the Terms of Use. There are alot of boards on the net. Many of them over time develop a culture of cliques, and jaded, bitter, short-sighted negativity. This eventually drives the purpose of the boards into the ground and changes the culture of those forums from a gathering place for people to meet and talk into what is instead a private club for a few individuals. This is true because inevitably there are a number of people who have infinite patience for conflict, while those who simply don't want to spend their time on conflict eventually dissappear out of fatigue. Usually the level of banter and joke-around posting goes up, while the quality posts that are related to the actual TOPIC disappear.

Is this really what you want for these boards? Because some of you are well on the way to creating this kind of person_without_enough_empathyy-high-school-clique atmosphere. You should think hard about what your role ought to be on these boards.

emphasis mine. and before anyone asks, no, i am not thinking about anyone in particular, nor am i trying to make any statements about members or their actions. just thought it was interesting, considering the post is over 7 years old

That's sig line material (even more than my own quotes are).

:sumo:

Like any office building you're going to have certain rooms that you avoid (like the broom closet because two forum members are making whoopie there),

This post is worthless without pics :sumo:

Didn't read thru the whole thread but, as more than a few said, I think it's just the natural course.

I've been around since (basically) the beginning. We've talked about everything. We've debated the Bronze Age 100 times. We've debated Miller vs. Moore numerous times.

We've debated pressing "eleventy million" times (nice one, Arch ;)). As an aside, when Ablue first proclaimed "cleaned and pressed is the way to go", we all jumped on him. A bunch of us landed in the penalty box for it. Who knew? A true visionary; the "Copernicus of the boards".

But, as others have also said, the "newbies" are what will keep the boards going. And, they'll be the ones that keep the boards comic-related. Yes, sometimes, they'll need a slap upside their head (mostly regarding Marketplace issues). But, I know there are times when the "use the search function" response when a new topic is posted is unwarranted. Hell, I've been here longer than most, and I still can't use it all that well.

The best thing you* can do the help "improve" the boards is just participate in topics. Alot of times, people may not post b/c of fear of being slammed. I say, if you have a thought (and the time), post it. You may bring a fresh perspective to the conversation. Sure, you may not hit a home run everytime. Nobody does. It also doesn't need to be met with universal approval. Or any approval at all. But, you may get someone to look at something with a different perspective.

* - when I say "you", I mean the generic "you"

chrisco37 is correct, along with some of the other posters that discussed “newbies” being the backbone of keeping the board alive with new thoughts on discussion.

For my part, I have been a long time lurker in on this forum, and see there are many individuals who tend to discuss off topic items too often in many different threads.

In this particular thread, I had the pleasure of reading many insightful posts on how to improve the boards, only to go through multiple pages of poems, haiku, and off topic banter among fellow board members.

It is nice to read humors posts from time to time by some board member, but at times it can be daunting going through multiple pages of this back and forth banter that has nothing related to the topic at hand. I do not understand why people just don't take some of these off topic discussions in personal messaging rather than cluttering the board with information not relevant to the discussion at hand.

In regards to newbies posting on the boards, I agree they should be searching before posting a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. The search field is great, as I have found many insightful threads and posts from members past discussing what I need to know without having to open up a new thread on the same topic.

However, there are times where I search a topic only to have nothing come up in the search field, or multiple different threads with the keywords in my search that has nothing relevant to what I am looking for. The search engine tends to be hit and miss at some points, so you may end up getting newbies posting topics that long time members may have discussed months or even years ago. Sometimes newbies will not be able to find the relevant topic.

In addition, there can be 20 plus pages to go through when the search engine finally gets the topic you want to read, and some newer members may find it easier to just post the topic and be lazy, rather then search through pages of items. Humans by nature can be impatient, and there will be times when newer posters would rather post to get answers, rather then search.

On a side note, as chrisco37 stated a lot of people will not post because they will be slammed by seasoned posters. Too many people here on these forums take things too personally. If someone writes about the haiku being a waste of time for posting, then others start to slam that person. Well, sometimes the truth hurts and if haiku or any off topic posts are a “long time tradition” on these forums, most new people will not know this.

Remember, not all traditions are good for the community as a whole. It may be fun and insightful for some board members, but the community as a whole may not enjoy them but do not speak up for fear of being bashed by the select few that want to read these traditional types of posts.

As a first time poster, I wanted older board members to understand where a new poster is coming from, to provide a fresh perspective from a real newbie contributing for the first time on these boards.

Based on what I have seen thus far, it is always best to just stick to the topic at hand within the threads and have less off topic discussions. If the board wants to continue being relevant for new comers, then the more on topic information provided in the threads, the less confused new members will be and the less threads created on previous discussed topics will emerge. Get to the point with the information relevant to the topic at hand, and help answer fellow members questions would be the best way to keep the boards alive and well with discussion amongst collectors of like minds.

chrisco37 is correct, along with some of the other posters that discussed “newbies” being the backbone of keeping the board alive with new thoughts on discussion.

For my part, I have been a long time lurker in on this forum, and see there are many individuals who tend to discuss off topic items too often in many different threads.

In this particular thread, I had the pleasure of reading many insightful posts on how to improve the boards, only to go through multiple pages of poems, haiku, and off topic banter among fellow board members.

It is nice to read humors posts from time to time by some board member, but at times it can be daunting going through multiple pages of this back and forth banter that has nothing related to the topic at hand. I do not understand why people just don't take some of these off topic discussions in personal messaging rather than cluttering the board with information not relevant to the discussion at hand.

In regards to newbies posting on the boards, I agree they should be searching before posting a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. The search field is great, as I have found many insightful threads and posts from members past discussing what I need to know without having to open up a new thread on the same topic.

However, there are times where I search a topic only to have nothing come up in the search field, or multiple different threads with the keywords in my search that has nothing relevant to what I am looking for. The search engine tends to be hit and miss at some points, so you may end up getting newbies posting topics that long time members may have discussed months or even years ago. Sometimes newbies will not be able to find the relevant topic.

In addition, there can be 20 plus pages to go through when the search engine finally gets the topic you want to read, and some newer members may find it easier to just post the topic and be lazy, rather then search through pages of items. Humans by nature can be impatient, and there will be times when newer posters would rather post to get answers, rather then search.

On a side note, as chrisco37 stated a lot of people will not post because they will be slammed by seasoned posters. Too many people here on these forums take things too personally. If someone writes about the haiku being a waste of time for posting, then others start to slam that person. Well, sometimes the truth hurts and if haiku or any off topic posts are a “long time tradition” on these forums, most new people will not know this.

Remember, not all traditions are good for the community as a whole. It may be fun and insightful for some board members, but the community as a whole may not enjoy them but do not speak up for fear of being bashed by the select few that want to read these traditional types of posts.

As a first time poster, I wanted older board members to understand where a new poster is coming from, to provide a fresh perspective from a real newbie contributing for the first time on these boards.

Based on what I have seen thus far, it is always best to just stick to the topic at hand within the threads and have less off topic discussions. If the board wants to continue being relevant for new comers, then the more on topic information provided in the threads, the less confused new members will be and the less threads created on previous discussed topics will emerge. Get to the point with the information relevant to the topic at hand, and help answer fellow members questions would be the best way to keep the boards alive and well with discussion amongst collectors of like minds.

Thanks for your well thought out post, and welcome (officially) to the boards! :applause:

Andy

Well Andy, I am impressed. Thought this thread would be derailed a number

of times, and it's still relatively speaking on track.

Well played.

Thanks for your well thought out post, and welcome (officially) to the boards! :applause:

Andy

I thought we were supposed to post a STFU noob photo to welcome Cleric to the boards?

j/k

Welcome aboard Cleric. The Haiku thing can be off putting to those unaware.

Andy

I thought we were supposed to post a STFU noob photo to welcome Cleric to the boards?

j/k

Welcome aboard Cleric. The Haiku thing can be off putting to those unaware.

Once, God alone could

cast a leaf, dear paper czar

now with ease, you do

The strict adherence to, and subsequent requirement of, all threads to remain "on topic" will produce exactly the type of response that is being complained about in this very thread: a stale, boring, stifling environment.

Most threads are not "open ended" topics like this one; that is, they are either topics for which there is a short, quick answer ("What's the best scanner for slabs?"), topics for which there really is no necessary response (" Giordano, RIP"), or topics that are simply pointing out something that interested the poster.

Very few topics invite actual discourse. Demanding that all threads remain "on topic"...which is contrary to human nature, as such restricted interaction occurs ONLY in the business world, where it is forced...will succeed in killing a good deal of the interaction that occurs here on a daily basis.

Message boards are not workplaces. They are not seminars. They are not symposiums, or panels, or programs.

They are cocktail parties, and basketball courts, and pot lucks, and barn dances.

In other words, they're a place where people of common interests meet, and share those common interests, and maybe a few not-so-common interests that may become common.

Trying to enforce structure where there is little is stifling, controlling, and off-putting. Instead of a "dedication to on-topicness", you'll have even MORE people afraid to respond because what they have to say might be deemed "off-topic", and therefore complained about, by someone else.

Sorry, but that's just human nature. I have never in my life, outside of a work environment...and often not there, either...had any conversation which stuck to one topic, only that one topic, and never strayed from that topic in the slightest.

It's just not how people interact.

Some of THE BEST conversations that have ever been had on this board (or any board) changed topics several times within the same thread. In fact, there's a thread going on right now in Copper that I am enjoying immensely, and it's changed topics THREE TIMES in a little over 250 posts.

My recommendation to anyone and everyone who has an issue with people posting irrelevant, off topic posts: lighten up. Learn to scroll past. How long does it take to see a Haiku and mentally ignore it and move on to the next post? 1/3rd of a second? Maybe a little more for the slower among us? If you want the thread back on topic, the answer is simple: post an on topic response.

Piece of cake.

By the way, Hammy...nice new custom title. :)

Well, there you go. Another classic case of "be careful what you wish for". :cry:

lol Someone was asking me about custom titles in a PM a couple of weeks ago, and I used very similar language.