• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can I do to help improve the boards?

221 posts in this topic

Andy, I don't know if this is something you would want to do, or someone else might want to pick it up. At the moment Nostalgic Attic has a great March Madness grading contest going on. But this past year I was hoping someone would pick up the mantle and hold a Nik style contest.

I had thought about trying to do one, but with my coaching commitment and not having enough of my own books graded it would have been tough for me to do. I had made a suggestion a few years back about having a contest where many people put up a book. They would have to sit out that round. Those who did not put a book in would have to pick a round to sit out. If they had not sat out before the last round they would have to sit that one out. I love the witty banter that goes on about each book. Okay maybe witty is too nice, change that to all the whining about each "gift" grade.

Anyways I think it would be cool to have a Nik memorial grading contest. It could have different themes, again the war theme is a great example. Or a grade by era contest. I would never be able to help with golden age, but I could with most of the other era's.

Or something totally different. A contest with a $10 entry fee. And the total amount could go to a comic related charity of the winners choosing, or the person who started the contest own choice.

Just a thought.

Andy, I don't know if this is something you would want to do, or someone else might want to pick it up. At the moment Nostalgic Attic has a great March Madness grading contest going on. But this past year I was hoping someone would pick up the mantle and hold a Nik style contest.

I had thought about trying to do one, but with my coaching commitment and not having enough of my own books graded it would have been tough for me to do. I had made a suggestion a few years back about having a contest where many people put up a book. They would have to sit out that round. Those who did not put a book in would have to pick a round to sit out. If they had not sat out before the last round they would have to sit that one out. I love the witty banter that goes on about each book. Okay maybe witty is too nice, change that to all the whining about each "gift" grade.

Anyways I think it would be cool to have a Nik memorial grading contest. It could have different themes, again the war theme is a great example. Or a grade by era contest. I would never be able to help with golden age, but I could with most of the other era's.

Or something totally different. A contest with a $10 entry fee. And the total amount could go to a comic related charity of the winners choosing, or the person who started the contest own choice.

Just a thought.

Thanks for keeping the thread on topic. (thumbs u

I like your idea. Let's see if there's someone who'll pick up the ball and run with it. :wishluck:

I kind of posted my last post above in haste. What I really wanted to say was that I would love to put together a contest like Nik's. I just didn't want to commit and then not come through. I don't think it could measure up to his old ones, but that's not really the point. A memorial contest is a great idea and should definitely be done. (thumbs u

Andy

I kind of posted my last post above in haste. What I really wanted to say was that I would love to put together a contest like Nik's. I just didn't want to commit and then not come through. I don't think it could measure up to his old ones, but that's not really the point. A memorial contest is a great idea and should definitely be done. (thumbs u

Andy

Someone would have to figure out how to do the emoticons as well as Nik. He always had the perfect one for whether your grade was good, bad or indifferent. That was my favorite part. :(

My biggest issue with the board are the cliques. I've got no idea who is buddies with whom and who hates each other and it amazes me how often the 'outsiders' are summarily ignored when they try to contribute.

This really isn't all that different than just about any board out there. At least that's been my experience with message boards since the late 90's.

What can I do to help improve the boards? Maybe we can all ask ourselves this question.

Normally, the reason I'm on any board is to throw out sarcastic comments and maybe, if I'm lucky, a few funny ones. It's kinda what I do. However, I've thought about trying to up the content/relevance bar a little. I started that "war comics interior pics" thread in the SA forum. Nice content based thread right? Then my scanner died. I hope to revive it now that I have a new scanner.

I've been guilty at times on adding to the newbie dogpile and I will earnestly try not to do that in the future. It's tough however when some schmuck comes on with an obvious agenda, or is a blatant troublemaking troll, or SHOUTS AT ALL OF US IN CAPS, or is a shill. Sometimes it's hard not to get negative.

Just a thought.

Thanks for keeping the thread on topic. (thumbs u

I like your idea. Let's see if there's someone who'll pick up the ball and run with it. :wishluck:

Andy, the boards are actually a great place.

Like any office building you're going to have certain rooms that you avoid (like the broom closet because two forum members are making whoopie there), but you are going to have rooms that you enjoy as well. It takes takes a little patience to maneuver.

You and I enjoy intellectual stimulation but at the same time many times we (and I mean everyone) simply want a place to be silly at times too without anything meaningful going on.

There really are plenty of really deep and entertaining forums on here. The OA forum is a fascinating place, as is the sig forum. The Watercooler has something for everyone. Most people just don't take a walk out of their usual comfort zones.

One thing that does seem to help make everything be more positive is using nice words when talking to someone. It's a principle I try to apply to myself and teach to my kids. Nice words. Constructive words. The odd time things will get out of hand no matter how much effort we put into something. I lose my cool from time to time as well. If I do fail in that regard then I hope I'm not to big to swallow some pride, man up and apologize.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Andy, the boards are actually a great place.

Like any office building you're going to have certain rooms that you avoid (like the broom closet because two forum members are making whoopie there), but you are going to have rooms that you enjoy as well. It takes takes a little patience to maneuver.

You and I enjoy intellectual stimulation but at the same time many times we (and I mean everyone) simply want a place to be silly at times too without anything meaningful going on.

There really are plenty of really deep and entertaining forums on here. The OA forum is a fascinating place, as is the sig forum. The Watercooler has something for everyone. Most people just don't take a walk out of their usual comfort zones.

One thing that does seem to help make everything be more positive is using nice words when talking to someone. It's a principle I try to apply to myself and teach to my kids. Nice words. Constructive words. The odd time things will get out of hand no matter how much effort we put into something. I lose my cool from time to time as well. If I do fail in that regard then I hope I'm not to big to swallow some pride, man up and apologize.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

This is another fine example of why I enjoy reading your posts. (thumbs u

This is another fine example of why I enjoy reading your posts. (thumbs u

Sorry, did I type that out? I meant to just think it to myself.

:blush:

Thank ya!

:foryou:

This thread is like the current boards in microcosm. The thread started with good intentions, got derailed with lighthearted antics, got back on track, cliques joined in and had a conversation and pretty much ignored anything thread related or written by anyone not in the clique, then it almost righted itself, and now it's losing steam while other threads become the "hot" topic of the day when in reality they're only heading down the same path they all head down, the one paved with good intentions.

Can you list the members of the clique of whence you speak, so that I know who they are? Some of the comments don’t pertain the original post, but the Boards would be deadly dull if people aren’t allowed to joke with one another. Isn’t that one of the ways a community and friendships are built? Furthermore, CGC Board haikus are a long and time-honored tradition.

Another suggestion would be for board members to proof read their posts. I can only imagine reading the post would eliminate a lot of issues in translation, and in some cases you might decide it's better not to send it in the first place.

I'm afraid I don't understand why a thread can't have both good information and lighthearted antics. You usually get that in regular conversation and the boards are just a text version of that.

Are we actually suggesting that people see a funny aside in a thread and then just quit looking at it? Or that this causes some sort of amnesia about the original topic that's printed right above every post?

Maybe it's because my job requires an absurd ability to multitask, but I just don't see the problem with respect to this. I don't see a couple of aside comments and on-topic portions of a discussion to be mutually exclusive.

I also don't think I'm in the minority about this either, but could be wrong.

-Rob-