• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Teens Still Collect Silver Age Comics Anymore?????

93 posts in this topic

How many of us guys in our 30s were collecting expensive Silver and Bronze age books in our teens? Personally speaking, it was only when I was in my 20s that I started spending more money and getting into the back issues and I suspect that's true for a lot of us. I'm sure that it's the same case with younger collectors now.

(thumbs u

In reality it does'nt matter if teens are buying SA or BA right now,they are getting the current stuff that has their favorite characters.When they get older and have the disposable income they will search for the 1st appearances and keys.We are fanning the flame by talking about the big books on message boards,which in turn makes them want them even more.Just check out all the younger crowd here.C-mack,lovinthesurfer,Danimal they are all in their 20s and look what they are collecting. (shrug) c-mack has a Tales of Suspense run thats incredible,Surfer and Danimal are collecting Silver Surfers and other books from the 60s.They did'nt grow up in that era,but still searching for the quality material.I think all this doom and gloom about comics being a dying hobby is just silly,it's alive and well.Sorry for the rant rantrant
Aren't you forgetting someone else in that list that collect silver age books :whistle:

I knew I forgot some people,but it makes my point.Look at you just picking up a huge grail book,Hulk #181 Awesome :applause:

Why thank you :acclaim:

I plan on getting X-Men #1 since I have #4 :wishluck:

How many of us guys in our 30s were collecting expensive Silver and Bronze age books in our teens? Personally speaking, it was only when I was in my 20s that I started spending more money and getting into the back issues and I suspect that's true for a lot of us. I'm sure that it's the same case with younger collectors now.

(thumbs u

Gaz973 is right,I started reading comic books when I was 6.

But when I got older I wanted to collect the older books.

I was 18 when I got my first full time job. I was spending 80% of my entire $250-300 pay check every week there.

Im a teen who loves his silver age readers. Better stuff than most of the stuff thats being published today (excluding of course anything written by Geoff Johns. hes amazing).

Hi Avalon Welcome to the boards :applause:

But lack of those young readers is exactly why I dont think this hobby will last the test of time. In the 80s comic shops were filled with kids trying to get their GI Joe or Transformers books. I still go to the same LCS from 30 years ago and it's still the same kids who were there 30 years ago just 30 years older. Teens today have enough things to distract them without having to buy comics. So my point is that without new readers today there will no longer be the nostalgia we have now about the SA or BA that has brought me and a lot of other collectors back after the 90s crash. I hope I'm wrong, I love comics but it's just the way I see it.

Plus, I'm sorry but the writing in SA books was just horrible with the overexposition and internal monologues... If, I can just, reach, that button, I will save NY, from certain disaster... Gimme a break :)

Plus, I'm sorry but the writing in SA books was just horrible with the overexposition and internal monologues... If, I can just, reach, that button, I will save NY, from certain disaster... Gimme a break :)

This is exactly why I loved those comics (shrug)

No joke but I never ever in my whole life seen a kid under age 17 buy a silver age comic over $50 ever at a convention. Your thoughts?

There is a 14 year old buy at every Toronto Convention I go to who spends$100's of dollars on comics. He comes with his mom.

Are you talking about the Indian fella with the glasses? They pull books from dealers and try to haggle but never buy a thing.

But lack of those young readers is exactly why I dont think this hobby will last the test of time. In the 80s comic shops were filled with kids trying to get their GI Joe or Transformers books. I still go to the same LCS from 30 years ago and it's still the same kids who were there 30 years ago just 30 years older. Teens today have enough things to distract them without having to buy comics. So my point is that without new readers today there will no longer be the nostalgia we have now about the SA or BA that has brought me and a lot of other collectors back after the 90s crash. I hope I'm wrong, I love comics but it's just the way I see it.

So you are saying down the road the Harley Yee's and other dealers will be holding onto stuff that they will never sell cuz we are talking millions of dollars here. Demand is overwhelming compared to supply on alot silver age books so I suggest otherwise. Unless you are talking golden age which has fewer and fewer collectors here because they cannot relate to the titles.

Your long term outlook suggests a crash and burn because silver age key comics in my opinion are still extremely undervalued. One pay cheque for most people can get them a cgc 5.0 Avengers #1. It should be more like 3 months of work to get that book.

At least for the next so many years from now, let's hope there are many folks hear left to talk about comics.

No joke but I never ever in my whole life seen a kid under age 17 buy a silver age comic over $50 ever at a convention. Your thoughts?

There is a 14 year old buy at every Toronto Convention I go to who spends$100's of dollars on comics. He comes with his mom.

Are you talking about the Indian fella with the glasses? They pull books from dealers and try to haggle but never buy a thing.

That's the kid. He's shrewd but he buys.

Now I'm curious to know who you are more than ever.

hm

So you are saying down the road the Harley Yee's and other dealers will be holding onto stuff that they will never sell cuz we are talking millions of dollars here. Demand is overwhelming compared to supply on alot silver age books so I suggest otherwise. Unless you are talking golden age which has fewer and fewer collectors here because they cannot relate to the titles.

Your long term outlook suggests a crash and burn because silver age key comics in my opinion are still extremely undervalued. One pay cheque for most people can get them a cgc 5.0 Avengers #1. It should be more like 3 months of work to get that book.

Definitely right now demand is huge with the million dollar sales making headlines in all the geek media and hopefully drawing more collectors back to the fold but TODAY's teen couldn't care less (in my opinion of course and I'm sure there are exceptions). But that demand is being driven by the 30-40 somethings who now have money to acquire such baubles as comics. Alas, where I wait for Wednesdays to get the latest WD or Goon or Locke & Key, etc, my kids wait for Tuesdays for the latest games or gadgets.

One thing that could ''save'' us is the advent of digital media because frankly, the sheer clutter of my comic collection is getting on the nerves of my whole household. Being able to read my stuff on an iPad/iPhone should hopefully open the door for kids to give comics a try... then again if they keep going the way of KickA$$ and release movies practically before the comic is even finished, it could make the point moot.

And yes an Avengers #1 in 5.0 should be worth more! :whistle:

That's the kid. He's shrewd but he buys.

Now I'm curious to know who you are more than ever.

hm

:gossip:....he's the guy who speaks in "ALL CAPS" :baiting: ....just kidding, SAGAT.....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hello Friends, :hi:

I think that the seeds of curiosity need to be planted in that younger, potential teen audiance. In the 1980's, 1984 in particular, G.I. Joe was slamming all angles of the media. I rember the commercial for G.I. Joe 11, which later transitioned to a toy commercial for the snow mobile and Snow Job. This got my older brothers to go to the LCS and then I eventually tagged along. I remember the first time stepping into that LCS, talk about sensory overload. :o Later on, the owner of the LCS recomended Silver Age, Marvels in particular, to me and my friends. This was around 1989 when silver age in any condition was a hot item. I remember the first high grade lol Silver Age issue I saved up for. It was TOS 46 at a 6.0 for $40 dollars. I have never stopped collecting silver age since.

Sadly we do not have media promoting our hobby anymore or Stan Lee introducing an episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. There is a show on CBS, the name escapes me, that throws around comic book refrences. But it seems like the usual junk spewing from the Geek Sheek movement that trys to make it look like an inside joke for those who don't beleive in deodorant.

I see the History Channel has American Pickers and Pawn Stars, why not a show that focuses specifically on Comic Books with a peppering of Basbeball Cards and rare stamps. (shrug)

Thanks for hearing my rantrant

my 12 year old cousin is puitting together a spidey run

doesnt have anything really special , but does have a few silver books

but alot of his friends think spidey was a movie 1st (shrug)

It's great to start out early...with the knowledge acquired and goals to be met. (thumbs u

I collect Sliver Age books and I'm 22

I started collecting SA when I was 13 and it has been fun and rewarding. At 22 you will amass a good collection for years to come. With all the knowledge you will attain from experience and knowledge, success is inevitable. (thumbs u

I started collecting SA when I was 13 and it has been fun and rewarding. At 22 you will amass a good collection for years to come. With all the knowledge you will attain from experience and knowledge, success is inevitable. (thumbs u

Thanks :applause: I do have X-Men #4,ASM #32 and #68 so that's a start (thumbs u

I started collecting SA when I was in 5th grade. Of course, at that time, SA was just a few years ago!

I started collecting SA when I was in 5th grade. Of course, at that time, SA was just a few years ago!

Hey Tim, do you still have some of the books you bought back then for a dime? :grin: