• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Teens Still Collect Silver Age Comics Anymore?????

93 posts in this topic

Do Teens Still Collect Silver Age Comics Anymore????? With the PS3, XBox360, and Wii Gaming Consoles occupying the younger generation - are they interested at all in collecting comics and for that matter silver age comics?

Are most collectors now in age 30's-60's? I see kids only collect manga and maybe the odd new comic. Most of the big dollars are being shelled out by only older collectors/speculators.

A friend of mine and I were talking about comics last night in Facebook chat and I told him that I was talking to someone about a run of ASM 1-300 and he goes, "What's that?" and then I said "Amazing Spider-Man issues 1-300, like 30 yearsish worth of comics" and then he goes "Ah yeah I have some OLD Punisher and Ghostrider books, I almost have the whole set of Punisher and like 30 War Zones."

He's 27

I really hope not, with the information and cgc age upon us, dupcakesque dealers should eventually start going the way of the dodo. Once our youth realizes the hobby isn't the big scary monster under the bed, and that x-men #1 variants are not worth the postage, then we should see an upswing. I am however, a bit puzzled at the downward trend of prices on mid/low grade SA marvel keys as of late.

A friend of mine and I were talking about comics last night in Facebook chat and I told him that I was talking to someone about a run of ASM 1-300 and he goes, "What's that?" and then I said "Amazing Spider-Man issues 1-300, like 30 yearsish worth of comics" and then he goes "Ah yeah I have some OLD Punisher and Ghostrider books, I almost have the whole set of Punisher and like 30 War Zones."

He's 27

I'm 26 and I'm only missing 4 issues between 1-626. I think the big issue when you're a teen is not having much income to spend on pricier silver age books.

i talked to a dude who was 18 at the post office today when i was mailing out some TOS books... he said he collects more BA stuff but had some SA too...gave him my email since i might have some stuff he wanted...so im sure there are a few of them out there buying

Comic collecting will die with our generation.

Which generation is that? More specifically, it'll die with the generation after Gen X, the ones who were young teens in the mid-1990s.

If this whole hobby falls apart what happens to all the Harley Yees and dealers like that? Will they have enough to retire off of then given there books are no longer collected at that point?

Most silver age die hard collectors on this board have more than 30K invested.

My opinion is that these books will appreciate and there will be a new flock of collectors on the horizon due to Disney and Warner's ability to market these characters. Older unknown characters like E-MAN, Capt Savage and leathernecks, and Sgt Bilko will be going nowwhere.

If this whole hobby falls apart what happens to all the Harley Yees and dealers like that? Will they have enough to retire off of then given there books are no longer collected at that point?

Most silver age die hard collectors on this board have more than 30K invested.

My opinion is that these books will appreciate and there will be a new flock of collectors on the horizon due to Disney and Warner's ability to market these characters. Older unknown characters like E-MAN, Capt Savage and leathernecks, and Sgt Bilko will be going nowwhere.

This is already happening....that's why you see these runs of high grade second tier GA books turning up for auction. People who bought low are cashing out and keeping only a few favorites. The market will continue to be fairly robust for quite a while....as prices drop demand may actually increase. It may be 2030 before supply begins to fully dwarf demand. It's a shame that reading for fun is not as widespread as it once was...but that could always change back for the better. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I really hope not, with the information and cgc age upon us, dupcakesque dealers should eventually start going the way of the dodo. Once our youth realizes the hobby isn't the big scary monster under the bed, and that x-men #1 variants are not worth the postage, then we should see an upswing. I am however, a bit puzzled at the downward trend of prices on mid/low grade SA marvel keys as of late.

I think the downward trend on low to mid grade keys right now is more a function of the economy than anything. These books are where the majority of collectors play, and right now it is the low and middle classes that are feeling the brunt of the economic troubles while the upper class is rebounding. There was a good commentary on this on msn.com today - high end retailers are seeing a big uptick in sales with the low (Walmart, Target) and middle (JC Penny) level retailers are still declining. The high grade/end comic market is still holding up surprisingly well.

That being said, we will eventually become like any other hobby where only a handful of mega key books will continue to increase in value due to their perceived "investment collectible" status (think Honus Wagner card or certain stamps and coins). The key will be to figure out which books those will be and focus on them if you are in it for the long run.