• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Teens Still Collect Silver Age Comics Anymore?????

93 posts in this topic

Well the difference between teens of the 80's & 90's and those of today is that back then we all read the comics of the day & bought them for 60 cents to 1$. Today kids can turn to any channel and see Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Spidey etc or buy DVDs or see them in movies.

If the kids of today are not reading the comics of today (4$ a pop!) then they will not care about the comics of yesterday, tomorrow, regardless of how much money they have or what the perceived value of SA comics might be 30-40 years from now.

Judy just brought home a stack of moderns from the Library for $ 1.50....todays comics have some of the best art and stories ever, but I couldn't help but notice in one of the Civil Wars books that the entire story arc spanned almost 60 issues at a combined cover price of $ 180.....what kid can afford that ? Back in the Silver Age I could get 60 issues for $ 7.20.....but that was a good amount then....a soda was 10 cents and a Big Mac was 55 cents....movies were a buck...those were the days :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

i agreed...I worry more about the industry pricing out new readers with these stupid pricing.

I rather they cut cost, go back to cheap paper and make it affordable. I rather have 100k readers paying $1 a book than, 20k readers paying $5 a book....to them it is the same money but they are raping the future and short sighted if they can't see the problem.

That's what ran me off....I'd rather take $ 180 and get a slabbed higher grade 1965 Marvel. It's a shame...they really have a decent product coming out these days. I'll treat myself to a hard cover trade from time to time....for example ...All Star Superman was off the hook. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I just can't spend more on new comics than I do on my light bill....with the nice slabs, I can at least hope to re coup most of my money someday.

To me the e issue is reading. Kds don't read comics anymore. Most are written for adults and I buy some for my kids bit all in all the would rather read a book or play ball than read comics. To ad to the problem is marvel and dc are not our friends anymore. They are media compaoes not comic companies. Marvel made more money on three movies and DVD sales than they did in 40 years of comic sales.

To me the e issue is reading. Kds don't read comics anymore. Most are written for adults and I buy some for my kids bit all in all the would rather read a book or play ball than read comics. To ad to the problem is marvel and dc are not our friends anymore. They are media compaoes not comic companies. Marvel made more money on three movies and DVD sales than they did in 40 years of comic sales.
Man,I feel old :preach: (and I'm only 22 :o )

also agreed here...growing up, at least those in of us that were born prior to 1970, didn't have much as far as other forms of entertainments. Yes cable tv and home video games were available in the 80's but nothing like it is today. Back then, not every household can afford cable tv or have an Atari game consol. Now even my 3 years old have an Itouch to play his games.

Man,I feel old :preach: (and I'm only 22 :o )

Sad to say. This hobby will be like coins and stamps in the future.

also agreed here...growing up, at least those in of us that were born prior to 1970, didn't have much as far as other forms of entertainments. Yes cable tv and home video games were available in the 80's but nothing like it is today. Back then, not every household can afford cable tv or have an Atari game consol. Now even my 3 years old have an Itouch to play his games.

I remember playing Atari and those 25 cents arcade machines and love it. I actually have an Atari arcade machine, which brings back memory lane.

I remember playing Atari and those 25 cents arcade machines and love it. I actually have an Atari arcade machine, which brings back memory lane.

yup can you imagine back when you can play a game of PacMan for 25 cents (back in the early 80's) and a comic book is 50 cents...now many games are still 25 cents or 50 cents but a book is 6 to 10 times more costly.

No joke but I never ever in my whole life seen a kid under age 17 buy a silver age comic over $50 ever at a convention. Your thoughts?

There is a 14 year old buy at every Toronto Convention I go to who spends$100's of dollars on comics. He comes with his mom.

No joke but I never ever in my whole life seen a kid under age 17 buy a silver age comic over $50 ever at a convention. Your thoughts?

There is a 14 year old buy at every Toronto Convention I go to who spends$100's of dollars on comics. He comes with his mom.

when i was a teenager (and the last con I went to as one was probably when I was about 13 or 14) I didn't have $50, particularly not to spend on one book! I might go to a show with $50, though more likely $30 or $40 scraped and saved and figured out how to maximize my spoils. of course, nice sharp mid/early 70's spideys could be found in 50 cent boxes back then, so I could get some decent stuff.

sure, i know that was 25 years ago for me and $50 then is probably like $100 now, but still. there are plenty of $1-$5 silver age books too.

Do Teens Still Collect Silver Age Comics Anymore????? With the PS3, XBox360, and Wii Gaming Consoles occupying the younger generation - are they interested at all in collecting comics and for that matter silver age comics?

Are most collectors now in age 30's-60's? I see kids only collect manga and maybe the odd new comic. Most of the big dollars are being shelled out by only older collectors/speculators.

How many teens have the cash to buy the big books? I see younger guys at conventions all the time, the signature room has a few younger guys as well. I think nostalgia plays a big part in collecting, but there are always completionists.

"How many teens [EVER HAD] the cash to buy the big books?"

--------------

Exactly, if I must say so myself. The kid who repeatedly buys $50+ books either has (1) rich parents or grandparents who spoil them; (2) a drug dealing business on the side/one HELL of a paper route!; (3) a really good p-t job (not flipping burgers); or (4) is a terrific comic flipper. Heck, why do you think so many teens were into this in the early 90's? Buy a hot new comic for $1-$2, flip it for $5-$10...problem is, the people on the sucker's end of the equation paying $5-$10 dried up real fast.

I wouldn't judge whether young 'uns are collecting SA by whether they're plunking down $50 for a comic. That's a big chunk of change to a kid with all the other pressures to spend money out there. Criminey, where I am taking your girlfriend to the movies (especially an imax!) with some popcorn, etc. is going to run like $50 and you haven't even had dinner! No wonder Taco Bell has .79 cent items directed toward teens, that's all they have left over!

Like I said, you can actually put together a decent little stash of SA and early BA books only spending $1-$5 a pop, no need to lay down $50. When I was a kid that's what I was looking for, not shooting my whole wad on one big book. Of course, I have no idea if teens are even doing that. I was nostaligic for those 60's books because I read them as beaters or as reprints as a kid in the 70's and 80's. they probably look like cave paintings or some other primitive art to kids today.

I turn 24 in July and I collect Silver Age stuff although the majority of it is post-1965. One of the problems I find is the prices for decent grade stuff. It's more of a Bronze than Silver title IMO but when I bought a 6.5 graded Green Lantern 76 last Summer, it was the most money I have ever spent on a book to date. I would love to own a HG copy of that and many others but I just can't afford it. Maybe once I graduate from university and enter the job market, that may start to change.

In reality it does'nt matter if teens are buying SA or BA right now,they are getting the current stuff that has their favorite characters.When they get older and have the disposable income they will search for the 1st appearances and keys.We are fanning the flame by talking about the big books on message boards,which in turn makes them want them even more.Just check out all the younger crowd here.C-mack,lovinthesurfer,Danimal they are all in their 20s and look what they are collecting. (shrug) c-mack has a Tales of Suspense run thats incredible,Surfer and Danimal are collecting Silver Surfers and other books from the 60s.They did'nt grow up in that era,but still searching for the quality material.I think all this doom and gloom about comics being a dying hobby is just silly,it's alive and well.Sorry for the rant rantrant

In reality it does'nt matter if teens are buying SA or BA right now,they are getting the current stuff that has their favorite characters.When they get older and have the disposable income they will search for the 1st appearances and keys.We are fanning the flame by talking about the big books on message boards,which in turn makes them want them even more.Just check out all the younger crowd here.C-mack,lovinthesurfer,Danimal they are all in their 20s and look what they are collecting. (shrug) c-mack has a Tales of Suspense run thats incredible,Surfer and Danimal are collecting Silver Surfers and other books from the 60s.They did'nt grow up in that era,but still searching for the quality material.I think all this doom and gloom about comics being a dying hobby is just silly,it's alive and well.Sorry for the rant rantrant
Aren't you forgetting someone else in that list that collect silver age books :whistle:

Aren't you forgetting someone else in that list that collect silver age books :whistle:

I knew I forgot some people,but it makes my point.Look at you just picking up a huge grail book,Hulk #181 Awesome :applause:

How many of us guys in our 30s were collecting expensive Silver and Bronze age books in our teens? Personally speaking, it was only when I was in my 20s that I started spending more money and getting into the back issues and I suspect that's true for a lot of us. I'm sure that it's the same case with younger collectors now.