• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #6 Timely Jack Kirby art

78 posts in this topic

the non-Cap page did not sell at $4800

also, anyone who thinks comics are a great investment only needs to look at the results of Jim's golden age results today

JSComics Golden age results

his top shelf GA in grades 8.0 and above all are selling at 25-75% discounts

his sale results today are like a massacre

also, anyone who thinks comics are a great investment only needs to look at the results of Jim's golden age results today

Maybe those were top shelf GA books a decade ago. That Young Allies #1 is nice though.

Do you even check GPA before you make a statement like that? Most of those were right in line.

Maybe those were top shelf GA books a decade ago. That Young Allies #1 is nice though.

Do you even check GPA before you make a statement like that? Most of those were right in line.

No, all I did was lok in the guide sitting on my desk because I'm pricing comics

but if GPA says those prices are correct, doesn't that make the OPG total bs??

No, all I did was lok in the guide sitting on my desk because I'm pricing comics

Yes, yes it does. OPG gets updated yearly at the discretion of Bob Overstreet. GPA gets updated instantly (those books that just sold on eBay are already in GPA) at the discretion of the market.

Yes, yes it does. OPG gets updated yearly at the discretion of Bob Overstreet. GPA gets updated instantly (those books that just sold on eBay are already in GPA) at the discretion of the market.

well then, does that statement therefore mean that the entire comic book hobby is based on the sham of incorrect information deseminated by the leaders in the hobby (those being Bob, Geppi and all the dealers??) all of whom have a conflict of interest, but who continue the sham by not even having the correct information published in any near time frame to the release of the newest guide?

I guess I should have also posed this question:

is this a reflection of the hostorical analysis, or is it a reflection of the hobby plummeting in real time??

I think its a reflection of us having better information now about what really sells and what doesn't.

That our gang 8 and to a lesser extent the 11 seem real cheap to me, the rest seem ok, broadly speaking. $1k for a cool hourman cover in 7.5? sounds about right to me.

I skimmed the list you're referring to and noticed that in the first fifty or so books there were only a few that I'd expect to get any kind of reaction from anybody outside the hard corp hobbyists. I like a lot of those books, regardless, but I wouldn't have gone for them at less than these prices, let alone what they sold for in the past. But if enough new money keeps coming into the hobby from collectors like the ones whos are buying silver and cooper age books as if they believe they are rare, then some of those collectors might eventually gravitate to esoteric gold at some point (as silver age readers have in the past), causing prices to rise again.

well then, does that statement therefore mean that the entire comic book hobby is based on the sham of incorrect information deseminated by the leaders in the hobby (those being Bob, Geppi and all the dealers??) all of whom have a conflict of interest, but who continue the sham by not even having the correct information published in any near time frame to the release of the newest guide?

Welcome to the comic book industry! This is common knowledge, right?

of course it is Paull.. to the more knowledgeable segment of the hobby

and everytime someone mentions it in GA, they get shouted down..

because comic book collectors don't like people telling them they don't have a such a good "investment"

so I was waiting for the shout down..

:insane:

OK, but back to the original art part of this topic (this is the original art forum I think), did the page go for a phenomenal price or did it not? I love Kirby--LOVE KIRBY--but have no interest in this page other than as an antique or novelty, and I was stunned at the price. Does this say something about this particular piece or art prices in general? That's not rhetorical, I'm really asking!

Scott Williams

of course it is Paull.. to the more knowledgeable segment of the hobby

and everytime someone mentions it in GA, they get shouted down..

because comic book collectors don't like people telling them they don't have a such a good "investment"

so I was waiting for the shout down..

:insane:

I also believe that the vast majority of comic book OA is overvalued also, so I'm not much of an ally for you ;)