• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Toronto con report - DAY TWO - all photos, all the time

95 posts in this topic

Great pictures!

I had a pretty good time at the show and walked away with a couple sketches today. I figured I would share them here:

Phil Jimenez (very nice dude!)

captainamericafallensonphiljimenez.jpg

Alvin Lee (I always make it a point to stop by and talk with this guy whenever he's at a show. He's a fantastic artist.)

marvelsproject1captainamericanamora.jpg

Drew, this was a world class thread with photos of a world class city.

:applause:

I can only encourage you guys to check out Toronto one day. I know it's my home town but it's just world class as far as atmosphere goes.

(thumbs u

From the pictures, it looks like there are a few worldclass women as well.

Drew, this was a world class thread with photos of a world class city.

:applause:

I can only encourage you guys to check out Toronto one day. I know it's my home town but it's just world class as far as atmosphere goes.

(thumbs u

From the pictures, it looks like there are a few worldclass women as well.

There are. I was thoroughly surprised at how many women attended this show.

A few more interesting things about the show (I took few pics unfortunately)...

There was a room that branched off from the con that has a pro wrestling ring set up in it and there was wrestling going on all weekend long. I thought that was an original and fun idea.

All of the dealers with deep inventory did reasonably well from what I could see and hear. I did not venture into the creator's table area so I have no idea how they fared.

Angus Young's SG Guitar was there promoting the new Iron Man movie as well as AC/DC.

Access to the CNE/Direct Energy building was pretty easy to get to by public transit and by car (although parking was a $12 flat rate).

We decided to stay at the Four Seasons Sheraton on Lake Shore (just West of the CNE) instead of the host hotels (Hyatt, Hilton etc) for several reasons: Although the host hotels were in the downtown core, which made sight seeing more attractive, they were charging about $25-35 a nite for parking as well as $10-15 a day for internet access while these were free with the Sheraton. Also, the Sheraton was a 5 minute cab ride compared to 10-15 minutes of weaving through the downtown core.

The building is already pre booked by Wizard for next year (same date), so if all goes smooth there should be another show.

How was dinner on Saturday, Roy? Who attended?

There were a few different dinner groups. I didn't make Rob Allen's place. I believe Bob Storms and some of the usual suspects (Watson, cgcworld, Wasonff etc went for dinner together).

I went back to the hotel to recoup for a couple of hours and then Lou and I met up with Pete and Doug of Paradise Comics, the CGC crew, and a few people (group of about 10) and went to the Keg for steak at about 9:30. We were seated at about 10pm (apparently that Keg is a real hot spot on Saturday night, there was 1 hour+ wait) and then we made it over to the Social for the official "after party".

The Social was a bit of a dingy place, and all of the media stars from the con were roped off at a VIP table so a few of us figured we'd do something else rather than stand in the dark and watch them. I thought it was a bit of a snobby thing to do, to invite media guests and then rope them off, but I don't think Wizard had much to do with that as much as the media people pushed for it. Still, hope they had fun sitting in a circle with people watching them.

:insane:

I called Matt Nelson (who was stuck at a Karaoke bar) to meet us but he never did.

Jim (cgcworld) and his wife Barb and Lou and I got into their car and we headed over to the Velvet Underground for a bit. I love that place. Lots of great 80's and 90's alternative music and the place filled in really well after 12:30.

I also got into a fight with the cab driver, who recognized that I was pretty drunk at the end of the night and decided to take us for a ride around the hotel to up his cab fare. Bugger didn't realize I know TO like the back of my hand and I called him on it. Our $30-40 cab ride quickly became $20.

Any day 3 reports and pics coming or are they in this thread?

I forgot my camera both Sat and Sun and so, very few pics on my end.

:(

Any day 3 reports and pics coming or are they in this thread?

I forgot my camera both Sat and Sun and so, very few pics on my end.

:(

doh!

I think Drew did a great job!

I usually carry my camera in my lap top case but I was all shopped out by Saturday so I just left it in the hotel room.

Sorry gang.