• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret War: Book One

60 posts in this topic

I got a copy at a store about 25 miles away, They had maybe 5 or so left. Good thing since the LCS had sold out by the time I had made it up there later in the day. This was Friday. There's another LCS that I didn't make it to.

around here the copies are flying from the shelfs...i've noticed on a few smaller comicstores that they only have one or two slightly messed copies that no one seems to pick up...

Face it, you've got a winning team, a special project and a price tag above the normal...spec. time is around the corner.

I just got 10 copies all in great shape, bought them today. My LCS still has about 6-8 copies left, the book looks pretty cool!

Has anyone seen the print run figures for this? 50K? 100K? 150K? More or less?

Appears to be a short-term spec book. LCS was all "sold out" because a lot of buyers (see above example) had picked up multiple copies according to the owner. Owner didn't have any left on the shelf, but let me pulled one from the pile which he had in the back of the shop since I usually buy my books there.

Looks like this book is being highly speculated on by both collectors and comic stores. Probably a pretty substantial print run with a short term spec bubble opportunity. Can probably make a couple dollars on this book for a cup of coffee, just don't plan your retirement on it.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif
But overall, nearly two days later, I think I can safely say that I think Dell'Otto's work hurt the story more than it helped it. GREAT cover artist and PERFECT for prints and posters. As an interior artist he's clumsy and the art looks awkward - the phrase that comes to mind is "out of focus".

sorry Kermit.

I agree with this opinion. I marveled at his detail and painting ability, but overall, it was too dark and the figures too small. Very little overall page design. Perhaps later issues will go outdoors and we'll see some colors!!

But overall, nearly two days later, I think I can safely say that I think Dell'Otto's work hurt the story more than it helped it. GREAT cover artist and PERFECT for prints and posters. As an interior artist he's clumsy and the art looks awkward - the phrase that comes to mind is "out of focus".

sorry Kermit.

I agree with this opinion. I marveled at his detail and painting ability, but overall, it was too dark and the figures too small. Very little overall page design. Perhaps later issues will go outdoors and we'll see some colors!!

thumbsup2.gif The artwork rendered the issue only barely readable, IMO.

Our LCS sold out in hours, and I got two copies in really nice shape, which is lucky because I forgot to check the box on my subscription list and just happened to stop in while they were shelving it.

Liked the art, too.

Already sent one off for grading. Might do the other one as well, if spec prices seem nice soon.

Looks like this book is being highly speculated on by both collectors and comic stores. Probably a pretty substantial print run with a short term spec bubble opportunity. Can probably make a couple dollars on this book for a cup of coffee, just don't plan your retirement on it.

27_laughing.gif

Would't it be nice to see for a change a new book that is flying off the shelves because people actually want to READ it.

Wow... I'm surprised how much interest this book has generated since a) the story was subpar and b) the art was tremendously overrated. While Dellotto's art is, as others have stated, nice for covers, it really isn't all that special. Consider also that the book is coming out quarterly, and the quality for the panel work is just so-so. If you're short term specing on the book, good luck... for some reason, I feel this book is overrated. I was at two different stores in Jersey, both of whom had 20+ copies of the book left and two stores in Philly with 10+ copies of the book.

The cost of this book = wait for trade paperback and pay $20 for whole series.

quarterly?

Yep.

And to echo w/ Foolkiller said, my shop still has about 15 copies on the shelf. They ordered a bunch. I don't think there's going to be any big money made on this book. The cover is high-quilty (better than USM's old cardstock, and much better than the current Ultimate covers). Most of the copies I saw at my store were very, very nice. And my store doesn't get the "ceam" ever. Ask Lantern.

I was at two different stores in Jersey, both of whom had 20+ copies of the book left and two stores in Philly with 10+ copies of the book.

i remeber a few months after Ultimate Spider-man nº2-7 got out to see a few copies around the comicstore where i used to go (Portugal). Of course they didn't stay there much time wink.gif

So don't let that fool you...

Kermit:

I don't want to rain on your parade, and let me just say that you might be right, but this book will not have the long term legs that USM has had. USM did have copies sitting around for the early issues, until it really picked up in popularity. That took months. This book won't have the same opportunity for success.

first off, this book is a limited series, not an ongoing, so the potential for there to be long term interest is lessened. second, the book comes out quarterly, so there is the tendency for interest in the book to wane because the schedule is every four months... and the series won't finish til 2005. third, quite honestly, the book isn't all that spectacular. It's ok.

Very, very few recent books have had the same heat as USM. This book is really not one that will perform at that level. It may jump a couple of dollars, but most books go the way of Ultimates #1. Even books like Teen Titans one only reached about $12-$15, not exactly a goldmine, and that book has died down recently in price command.

Don't be fooled... specing on Secret War #1 will turn out to be a mistake in my opinion, even if there's a short term gain where Wizard hypes it for 2 or 3 months. And if someone is hoarding copies, believe me, someone else is as well. This book is not a great bet, and I would suggest not investing heavily into it. I'm biased though, I think the book itself is overpriced at just buying it for cover price.

Guys, I'm not so sure. The art has been criticized a little, but most comments have been good--and even though we might have some criticisms at this point, keep in mind that this is the guy's first major single issue of work. All artists get better with time, and he CLEARLY has the gift, and potential to match some of the "comic art masterS" for paintings, expecially cover work.

So what we have here is a better-than-decent, if imperfect, first appearance by someone who is likely to go on to become a respected name.

I think the book will be a fine possession in the future.

Oh, and my LCS sold out in hours.