• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mothers...The real THREAT to comic collections EVERYWHERE!

79 posts in this topic

My mom would sometimes cut or tear stuff out of my comics that she found objectionable...mostly ads, but also story pages (I eventually learned to hide my better books and favorite titles from her). But that all ended real fast when my dad finally caught wind of it.

That was over 30 years ago, and we all get a big laugh out of it today. But at the time, it was pretty damn annoying...

My mom heard that the movie Conan the Barbarian was Rated R for sex, nudity, and violence. She was shocked, thinking this was also applicable to the Conan comics I collected like an addiction. So she ripped up my Conan the Barbarian #1 in a fury. I was 13, and had saved for months to buy it.

O O O Me...over here!!! :tonofbricks:
What's yer' horror story? :popcorn: (almost don't want to hear it)

lol. Well lets see, by the age of 18, I had amased an almost complete collection of X-men, ASM, FF4, along with tons of other books. Most of my collection was helped along by my grandfather, who was a big collector himself. He used to take me to get books every week and show & share his collection of books with me. He gave me, among others, X-Men 1, FF4 #1, #5, #48, along with ASM #1, etc. Now mind you, these were low-mid grade books, but they meant alot to me.

Well, when I went off to college my parents saw fit to box up my stuff and put it in storage and whatever didn't fit into a few plastic containers, was chucked. Yes, I lost almost all of my books and I've been re-collecting them ever since.

Sadly, because if a million other issues, I do not speak to my family and I personally attribute my books being thrown out to the jealousy of my relationship with my grandfather. See, technically he was my mom's step father and they didn't get along and my mom always had issues with me spending time with him. I could never prove it, but that's my gues as to why my books got chucked.

So yeah, that's kinda why I didn't elaborate. lol.

My Dad threw out my prized X-men collection, because I liked to draw them

and he said I was single handily bringing SATAN into his house...

He caught me drawing Nightcrawler and literally beat my arse raw.

Religious Fanatics and Comics don't go well together, WHO KNEW???

To this day I can't stand dear old Dad, I wonder why???

:P

:o ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!? :o

That's insane!

I wish I was.

I don't want to pollute your thread with my baggage but in general pets had a better

life than myself and my brothers under his roof.

But needless to say I have a HG X-men collection that he won't get a hold of...

That is my one finger salute to him and holy roller ways.

The one thing that helps me to keep from letting that stupid chit bother me,

is that I like myself and with that said, the history that you come from is what makes you.

I had a HUGE box of 80s X-men and assorted Marvel, including a hulk 340 and AMS 300 that my cousin gave to me when I was ten. My mom threw it out when we moved a few years later when I'd stopped reading comics for awhile. I love her, but that was so harsh. She's claimed for year's that :they must be in a box around here somewhere." Uh-huh

My Dad threw out my prized X-men collection, because I liked to draw them

and he said I was single handily bringing SATAN into his house...

He caught me drawing Nightcrawler and literally beat my arse raw.

Religious Fanatics and Comics don't go well together, WHO KNEW???

To this day I can't stand dear old Dad, I wonder why???

:P

:o ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING!? :o

That's insane!

I wish I was.

I don't want to pollute your thread with my baggage but in general pets had a better

life than myself and my brothers under his roof.

But needless to say I have a HG X-men collection that he won't get a hold of...

That is my one finger salute to him and holy roller ways.

The one thing that helps me to keep from letting that stupid chit bother me,

is that I like myself and with that said, the history that you come from is what makes you.

I'm right there with ya friend.

lol since I had a comic book themed wedding I was tempted instead of "mother of the bride traditional corsage was going to make a pin that said "Yes I am the one who threw away her toys and comic books." But I was nice and made her a Wonder Woman corsage instead..

I kept all my Megos and Star Wars toys I had tons of vehicles and figures and playsets. They were in my Mom's basement for years and she asked forever.."When are you coming to get your stuff?" So finally I tell her I am there to pick up my stuff and she pull out a box of clothes and shoes from when I was in highschool..I ask where the toys and comic books are ...and she says "Well I threw them out why would you want your old toys?"

D'oh...

then I explained that some of the figures and playsets were worth 100's of dollars...

She gave them to some neighbors years ago..like she thought I could really use those sneakers (converse super hightop pinks and blue) or those maddonna gloves and tutu with my boytoy belt..

Oh yeah sure..those I needed..

I was really fortunate my Beatles collection and the Kiss stuff was unmolested..

She did give away my antique marble collection though.

really doesn't matter now I guess had I still had them they would've burned up with everything else!

lol since I had a comic book themed wedding I was tempted instead of "mother of the bride traditional corsage was going to make a pin that said "Yes I am the one who threw away her toys and comic books." But I was nice and made her a Wonder Woman corsage instead..

I kept all my Megos and Star Wars toys I had tons of vehicles and figures and playsets. They were in my Mom's basement for years and she asked forever.."When are you coming to get your stuff?" So finally I tell her I am there to pick up my stuff and she pull out a box of clothes and shoes from when I was in highschool..I ask where the toys and comic books are ...and she says "Well I threw them out why would you want your old toys?"

D'oh...

then I explained that some of the figures and playsets were worth 100's of dollars...

She gave them to some neighbors years ago.. like she thought I could really use those sneakers (converse super hightop pinks and blue) or those maddonna gloves and tutu with my boytoy belt..

Oh yeah sure..those I needed..

I was really fortunate my Beatles collection and the Kiss stuff was unmolested..

She did give away my antique marble collection though.

really doesn't matter now I guess had I still had them they would've burned up with everything else!

:sick:

My mother and grandmother did a big purge at some point. I lost about 90% of my books from 1961 to 1965. Of course at that time they had little value and the ones the didn't get tossed have little value since I read those books to death.

My mother and grandmother did a big purge at some point. I lost about 90% of my books from 1961 to 1965. Of course at that time they had little value and the ones the didn't get tossed have little value since I read those books to death.
:cry: :cry:

MarvelFanGirl

Oh you know I probably graduated highschool before you were born lol

pink lace shirt with black tutu, pink lace leggings,black fingerless gloves, converse sneakers with ruffled pink lace socks, long necklaces, and a belt made of handcuffs that spelled out boytoy with a big pink bow ??I was pre hair band glamalicious...

My hair band phase lasted a fairly long time and blended out into a pre goth gothiness

which pretty much is what I look like except I stopped wearing the knee high doc martens

but everyday has been Halloween for a very very long time

My Mom finally stopped fighting it when I got married lol..

Seriously though most of my childhood comics never made it out of the current month..my mom is a throw outer ..I am a hoarder..

pink lace shirt with black tutu, pink lace leggings,black fingerless gloves, converse sneakers with ruffled pink lace socks, long necklaces, and a belt made of handcuffs that spelled out boytoy with a big pink bow ??I was pre hair band glamalicious...

My hair band phase lasted a fairly long time and blended out into a pre goth gothiness

which pretty much is what I look like except I stopped wearing the knee high doc martens

Seriously though most of my childhood comics never made it out of the current month..my mom is a throw outer ..I am a hoarder..

Man,the 80's was a weird decade for fashion that's for sure :screwy:

MarvelFanGirl

I was born in 87,so yes you did graduate highschool before I was born lol

Man,the 80's was a weird decade for fashion that's for sure :screwy:

The 80's so Rocked. :headbang:

MarvelFanGirl

My mom used to dress like that :D

She had Cyndi Lauper hair too and half her head shaved with a chain link fence design buzzed in it :ohnoez:

My story tops you all:

My parents use to wipe their butts with Tales From The Crypt! :P

My parents grew up very poor in the south during the depression thru the 50s and toilet paper was a luxury. Since comics were disposable then they had too use whatever soft paper was available.

My mom would tell me of keeping a stack of comics in the outhouse for her 9 siblings to use, amongst those comics were lots of ECs since my mom loved horror comics when she was a child.

My story tops you all:

My parents use to wipe their butts with Tales From The Crypt! :P

My parents grew up very poor in the south during the depression thru the 50s and toilet paper was a luxury. Since comics were disposable then they had too use whatever soft paper was available.

My mom would tell me of keeping a stack of comics in the outhouse for her 9 siblings to use, amongst those comics were lots of ECs since my mom loved horror comics when she was a child.

You win. :P:sick:

I went to a style show once for hairdressers as a model..I went in with waist length auburn hair and walked our with a weird punk buzzed in the back /above the ears pageboy in the front with a fan etched cut bang and colored pink and white with black streaks..

They had told me I was getting a cut by a major stylist (Jerome Alexander cut it) who thought I would look lovely with a classic bob or pageboy..it looked nothing classic I had to buzz it and start from scratch..

That was the last time I went to a stylist..

pffht ..MarvelFanGirl..man if I were your age again..whoooo hooo..

would love to climb in the way back machine ..

and kick butt on some Heathers types..and go back behind the gym to the smoking area and hang out with the bad girls..(yes our school had a smoking area for students lol