• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comic-Con

38 posts in this topic

I've been meaning to check this show out but just too many back to back show with Boston and Chicago just past.

Let me know how the show is!

:roflmao: at best. (thumbs u

The non-national dealers were over priced and clueless.

How was attendence??

I only went Friday, but there were a good amount of people there.

Friday crowd was decent late in the day, most of the day it was not good. Saturday crowd was also sparce, but the people there were spending money. Today was really poor. No crowd and no money. Though I had a dealer spend 1K with me, I did less than 200.00 to the public. When I talked to Harley at lunch, he had not made a sale.

I actually had a pretty decent show considering. Sold a Superman #4, 16, 17, 43, sold another guy a Batman #26, a Wonder Woman #49, 3 Fawcett Captain Marvels, and 1 other book. Sold a Thrilling Comics #61, sold a really nice Batman #189, a VFish TOS #50, Spider-man #43, Annual 3, and a #32, Murderous Gangsters #1, several Matt Baker books, a couple of Fiction House books, a Jo-Jo, Wild Boy of the Congo, a few other misc GA books, and a few pretty decent stacks out of my silver age inventory boxes.....and about 800 dollar books.

Also picked up some really cool stuff which you will see in a sales thread near you later this week. Several super high grade Fiction House, All Flash #1, Am Fantasy #15 6.0 restored, some really nice FFs and Avengers, and some other pretty cool stuff.

Interesting report Dale. With what seems to me to be a trend of fewer comic collectors at the shows (meaning those who are buying more than trades and dollar books) I feel that it's getting a little more random out there. Some big name dealers can have surprisingly bad days or bad stretches. At Wondercon one national dealer who has been coming there for I'm sure 15-20 years in a row only had $200 in sales on Saturday by 1 pm. Not to say they don't do well in general or that the three days don't generally average out, just that I'm hearing some figures from people for certain pieces of a show or whole days of a show that are quite shocking.

I've mentioned to a few people that I sold zero Archies, Little Lulus, Classics, or Disneys at Wondercon this past year. But the thing about Wondercon in the past was that I would ALWAYS sell a few books from each of those four groups. This time about the most obscure thing I sold were two copies of Strange Tales featuring Brother Voodoo.

I made one purchase at the show, my thanks to Dale Roberts!

He sold me three really nice LOIS LANE comics for a Margot Kidder sig series.

Margot was really nice, too.

Signed my books, commented on the covers (especially the bondage cover with Lois wrapped up in a python's coils) and one book had empty word balloons on the cover, she wrote "Do you like pink?"

:think:

Scott McDaniel always had a line, Ron Frenz did some killer sketches as did Joe Sinnott.

Sunday was pretty dead.

Saturday was decent.

Friday was busy.

Artist alley was like a ghost town :sorry:

Did anyone happen to mention that it was RAINING in Pitt? And maybe that kept some of the attendees away. I think Renee works her fanny off to put on the best show she can. If you guys are going to criticize Reene then you should also be talking smack about Reed Expo and they had more advertising budget and more more to back up their show yet I thought it was a slow show as well. And guess what. NO RAIN for them to worry about. I can go on but I will go to bed now. Considering that I have spent 8 of the last 12 days in hotel rooms I am dog tired. Night folkies.

Blame it on the rain that was falling, falling

Blame it on the stars that did shine at night

Whatever you do don't put the blame on you

Blame it on the rain yeah yeah

You can blame it on the rain

Cos the rain don't mind

And the rain don't care

You got to blame it on something

(Blame it on the rain)

(Blame it on the stars)

Whatever you do don't put the blame on you

Blame it on the rain yeah, yeah

You can blame it on the rain

Did anyone happen to mention that it was RAINING in Pitt? And maybe that kept some of the attendees away. I think Renee works her fanny off to put on the best show she can. If you guys are going to criticize Reene then you should also be talking smack about Reed Expo and they had more advertising budget and more more to back up their show yet I thought it was a slow show as well. And guess what. NO RAIN for them to worry about. I can go on but I will go to bed now. Considering that I have spent 8 of the last 12 days in hotel rooms I am dog tired. Night folkies.

Not criticizing the show. Just stating what I heard from a friend that has been setting up with them for years. And usually does well.

I was at a show this weekend that attendance was down about half from the last show in February.

Not sure this has been discussed, but I would suspect tax time(April 15) had something to do with both shows(Reed and Pittsburgh) being down.

If you owe, you're probably not paying until this month. Just a thought. hm

Went down to Pittsburgh from Toronto on the weekend and attended the show Friday and half the day on Saturday. I made the trek to poke around, find a few nice books to add to my collection (on a b-b-budget), and get some of my books signed by the likes of Roy Thomas, Joe Sinnott and Ernie Chan, who doesn't do too many shows outside the West Coast. And it turned out, I caught a bad cold, but still managed to enjoy the convention.

As the show didn't have the crowds on Friday, I was able to get everything I wanted signed in just a few hours. That left me with plenty of time to dig through boxes and seek out some nice books... and find the occasional bargain. I purchased from five separate dealers:

I bought a bunch of bronze-age books from The Collector's Zone (from Michigan) that included two high-grade Spideys (issues 97 and 135). I've seen them set up at Motor City plenty of times, but only purchased the odd book from them in the past. They had an excellent selection of high-grade back issues.

Purchased a few SA and BA books from Dean at The Bargain Box of Ohio. He had just acquired a large collection. Many of them were unordered and not priced. I managed to snag a few nice books but had to dig a bit to find them. He had a very nice Spidey 3 on the wall that would have been, at quick inspection, in the FN to VF range but he was asking quite a bit more than I was willing to spend that day. Oh, and Mile High Chuck was also there, who, like Galactus, was sucking the very life out of all Dean's "junk" boxes, combing through each one carefully with his binders in hand... all day long. Gotta love him.

Bought a low grade Sensation Comics 91 from Greg Reece from Maryland at a great price. The book had great eye appeal but there were problems along the spine. I would have bought more from him if I didn't have the luxury of time to dig elsewhere and spread around my cash. He's a terrific guy who was very honest about his books.

I also bought another WW book from a fellow Maryland dealer. Name escapes me at this moment but in chatting with him, we shared a lot of collecting interests.

And, on the Saturday, I picked up a pile of comic "remainders" from Harrison's Comics' booth, mostly cheapy NM/MT books and great signature series fodder when the time comes.

Reading the previous posts, I'm not surprised that a lot of the larger dealers were disappointed with the turnout and sales. Some of the dealers seemed to be doing well however. In any case, I was happy with the show.

(thumbs u

Went down to Pittsburgh from Toronto on the weekend and attended the show Friday and half the day on Saturday. I made the trek to poke around, find a few nice books to add to my collection (on a b-b-budget), and get some of my books signed by the likes of Roy Thomas, Joe Sinnott and Ernie Chan, who doesn't do too many shows outside the West Coast. And it turned out, I caught a bad cold, but still managed to enjoy the convention.

As the show didn't have the crowds on Friday, I was able to get everything I wanted signed in just a few hours. That left me with plenty of time to dig through boxes and seek out some nice books... and find the occasional bargain. I purchased from five separate dealers:

I bought a bunch of bronze-age books from The Collector's Zone (from Michigan) that included two high-grade Spideys (issues 97 and 135). I've seen them set up at Motor City plenty of times, but only purchased the odd book from them in the past. They had an excellent selection of high-grade back issues.

Purchased a few SA and BA books from Dean at The Bargain Box of Ohio. He had just acquired a large collection. Many of them were unordered and not priced. I managed to snag a few nice books but had to dig a bit to find them. He had a very nice Spidey 3 on the wall that would have been, at quick inspection, in the FN to VF range but he was asking quite a bit more than I was willing to spend that day. Oh, and Mile High Chuck was also there, who, like Galactus, was sucking the very life out of all Dean's "junk" boxes, combing through each one carefully with his binders in hand... all day long. Gotta love him.

Bought a low grade Sensation Comics 91 from Greg Reece from Maryland at a great price. The book had great eye appeal but there were problems along the spine. I would have bought more from him if I didn't have the luxury of time to dig elsewhere and spread around my cash. He's a terrific guy who was very honest about his books.

I also bought another WW book from a fellow Maryland dealer. Name escapes me at this moment but in chatting with him, we shared a lot of collecting interests.

And, on the Saturday, I picked up a pile of comic "remainders" from Harrison's Comics' booth, mostly cheapy NM/MT books and great signature series fodder when the time comes.

Reading the previous posts, I'm not surprised that a lot of the larger dealers were disappointed with the turnout and sales. Some of the dealers seemed to be doing well however. In any case, I was happy with the show.

(thumbs u

Dean is one of my favorite dealers

Super nice guy!