• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening a CGC Case?

21 posts in this topic

Hi...new to the boards, I just got my first graded comic ( X-Men #10...silver age of course...grade 5.0 )...just wondering if its possible to open one of these cases without breaking it? I think maybe the guy I bought my comic from slipped a different ( lower grade ) X-Men #10 in there...or maybe I'm just being paranoid! : )

Never say never but the CGC design (outer case then inner well) makes tampering incredibly unlikely.

In mid-grade, some books look harsher than others, but it is fairly safe to say that the book in the holder was the same book that was graded.

And, of course, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! (thumbs u

Check the 4 corner posts on the outer case - if several of them have been cracked, it's possible to slide the inner case out & replace it with a different one.

If they're not cracked, it's safe to say that the book hasn't been tampered with.

Your 5.0 is probably just a 5.0 - it's not really what you call a candidate for the ol' switcheroo lol $40? Sounds like a deal!

Exactly my thought.....,

quit channeling me, divad :eek:

Thanks..I tried to scan it but it didn't fit my scanner too well...I guess thats what you get for buying X-Men #10 in a parking lot for $40! : )

Take a pic and upload it for us all to see. It sound like you have a steal! Does the Case look tapered with at all? are any of the corners busted etc?

Call CGC, get the grader's notes, see if the notes match the book inside the well.

Looks like it could be a 5.0 from far away.