• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1 color guide

53 posts in this topic

I agree. For example, that cover proof of Action 7, which is snow white and sharp, is an extraordinary piece. I'd love to frame that and have it on the wall. It's the best image you could possibly have of Superman's second cover appearance. And you could hang it on the wall in an attractive presentation without any risk of damaging the piece, unlike with a comic.

What do you think the failed color guide would go for on today's market?

Have no idea.

I've thought about that in relation to silver age books and with those it seems reasonable to me that a cover color guide or stat/proof that was done prior to actual publication would be valued at least as much as any mid grade copy of the book it's from. More or less. More if it's especially interesting in some way (like if the art itself was changed in the final, or if the cover image itself is exceptionally evocative).

I think you are far too low.

A fragment of the cover of an Action Comics 1 sold for what? $5K?

An interior page of Captain America original art sold for $38K recently.

Given that, my wild guess is that the failed color guide could reach six figures, and I'd be shocked by anything under $50K.

The only thing remotely equivalent to the cover proofs of Action 7 and 9 is probably the MPFW 2-4 covers which sell for four figures. But those feature gag covers with no major characters.

An 8.0 Action 7 went for $140K. It's a great cover and the second Superman cover ever. So I would expect the cover proof of Action 7 to easily hit five figures, and would not be shocked to see it go for a $30K as it is a snow white proof mint .

I would be surprised if the cover proof of Action 9 didn't hit $5K at least.

I only found this thread after Bluechip mentioned the existence of the Action #1 original color guide in the AC #1 9.0 thread.

I am amazed this exists and has to be the holy grail for original color guide collectors.

A couple of comments, Silverprint refers to the type of paper DC used for their color guides, very prone to discoloration although this still looks good.

This is not a failed color guide because the colors differ to the printed cover. That's the whole point of the color guide, to get the colors right. It's likely Jack Adler in the color separations team produced a first proof based on the guide, DC would have noticed the clashes, made notes and then produced a final proof that represents the cover we know today.

I can't imagine what it would sell for today, potentially 6 figures, along with 5 figures for the #7 and #9 proofs combined.

hey ravencomics I'm interested in some comics you may have for sale or trade

tec 29, 31

action comics 2

sups 2

I was wondering if you still have them and if they are for sale?

I'd pm you but you don't accept messages :(