• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Captain America Comics #34 Page Count Question?

52 posts in this topic

Page count should be 16-12 (meaning 16 page leafs left of the center of the book and 12 page leafs to the right of the center.)

West

West, is this common with Timelys from '44 or any time frame, or just specific issues? Marvel Mystery #54 is the same way.

The page count changes through the years with all publishers. The most common page counts are for typical books are:

16-16

16-12

12-12

8-8 (typical 1960's book.)

A lot of the Quality books have a page count of 14-14. Some 50's DC's are 12-8 and 10-10 on the page counts.

Due to all the publishers changing formats and page counts for various reasons, there is no set black and white rule on page counts for each year. For a few months in the 1940's the Fawcett page count is 8-8...thin as a Silver Age Marvel!

West

Page count should be 16-12 (meaning 16 page leafs left of the center of the book and 12 page leafs to the right of the center.)

West

West, is this common with Timelys from '44 or any time frame, or just specific issues? Marvel Mystery #54 is the same way.

The page count changes through the years with all publishers. The most common page counts are for typical books are:

16-16

16-12

12-12

A lot of the Quality books have a page count of 14-14. Some 50's DC's are 12-8 and 10-10 on the page counts.

Due to all the publishers changing formats and page counts for various reasons, there is no set black and white rule on page counts for each year. For a few months in the 1940's the Fawcett page count is 8-8...thin as a Silver Age Marvel!

West

excellent. Thanks West. :)

West

16-16

16-12

12-12

West

excellent. Thanks West. :)

Yes sir, thanks West.

well, west is our cgc connection!

yep, in these matters it is best to look east and call west.

I have to look south (shrug)
I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly / I know a hawk from a handsaw

I've always been curious about 34, because Overstreet said it was supposed to have a "poster." (I have a copy I've always assumed was incomplete because I couldn't find it)

Anyone know anything about that?

What does the centerfold look like in your copy?

It's not really a "poster" It is a full page CF splash that has Bucky and Cap in the heat of the war...I used to own the D Copy of Cap #34 and I remember that much

What strikes me as odd about that is that many issues of Cap had full centerfold splashes. So why single that one out in Overstreet? The GCD data on that issue doesn't seem the list a poster. I've always held back on selling my copy just because of what I considered a "missing page." I'd be pretty darned thrilled to find out it was complete after all. :applause:

The other images that were shared fit the definition of splash pages. I do think this page is very typical of the WWII posters and so justifies (barely) highlighting it in the Guide.

Cap034p56.jpg

Go to the Grand Comics Database (comics.org) for help on page counts. I looked up Cap #34 and it's supposed to have 60 pages (with the cover wrap counting as 4 of those). More information can be found here --

http://www.comics.org/issue/3389/

Regarding the sliced pages, I had a similar "problem" with Superman #26, which I posted about here on the boards. Do a search through the archives and you can read about my situation. Or just go here...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3169053&fpart=1

As it turned out, the comic is complete, but there was some sort of weird production process that resulted in pages that appeared to have been sliced out. That's probably the case for your comic too. Always worth verifying though.

I've always been curious about 34, because Overstreet said it was supposed to have a "poster." (I have a copy I've always assumed was incomplete because I couldn't find it)

It's not really a "poster" It is a full page CF splash that has Bucky and Cap in the heat of the war...I used to own the D Copy of Cap #34 and I remember that much

What strikes me as odd about that is that many issues of Cap had full centerfold splashes. So why single that one out in Overstreet? The GCD data on that issue doesn't seem the list a poster. I've always held back on selling my copy just because of what I considered a "missing page." I'd be pretty darned thrilled to find out it was complete after all. :applause:

The other images that were shared fit the definition of splash pages. I do think this page is very typical of the WWII posters and so justifies (barely) highlighting it in the Guide.

IMHO, the two-page spread in # 34 of a battlefield is quite exceptional, and is worthy of being singled out in the Guide. Wish I had taken a scan of the pages before selling it.

IMHO, the two-page spread in # 34 of a battlefield is quite exceptional, and is worthy of being singled out in the Guide. Wish I had taken a scan of the pages before selling it.

Along with the cool cover the two page spread in this book makes this a definite keeper in my collection IMO.

capsplshpg5.jpg