• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: 1993 DC/Diamond "Vertigo Encyclopaedia" promo - HG writer's "file copy"

13 posts in this topic

How 'bout a little boring back-story first, eh...? :cry:

In the early '90s, I was a copy-writer and one of several all-purpose editorial drones for Diamond's Previews catalog. In '92 or so, I conducted an interview with the late, great Archie Goodwin about a project he was working on for DC at the time. For some reason--and very much despite my many and patently obvious shortcomings--he liked my work, and thus recommended me to Karen Berger when it came time to promote the birth of DC's Vertigo line in early 1993 (Archie also offered me a job at DC as his assistant editor, which I was forced to turn down, mostly because I was young and stupid...too bad I'm still one of those things!).

For the Vertigo launch, I was teamed with artist-designer Mark Wheatley, and the result of our collaboration was this Vertigo Encyclopaedia -- a 20+ page full-color promotional pamphlet bound-in to all "consumer" editions of Previews which shipped a few months prior to the debut of the first Vertigo-branded books. More details and page scans are available here:

http://www.swampthingroots.com/vert_enc.html

As the writer on the project, I received a few copies of the stapled finished product for my portfolio. This particular copy has been stored flat in a mylar--and sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard--in my filing cabinet for the past 17 years. Not sure if that makes it a "file copy" or not, but it is easily as bright, glossy, and sharp as the day it rolled off the presses.

I have no idea what it's worth, but I do know that it's an unusual and relatively scarce piece of DC history, so I'm offering it here for:

$80 $70 shipped and insured in the US, or

$100 $90 shipped and insured to Canada, the UK, and Europe.

PayPal only for this one, and :takeit: rules!

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Mikey

front cover

vertigo-ency.jpg

back cover

vertigo-ency-bc.jpg

Curious, I found one elsewhere that had sold but the spine is hidden from a glare. The ones in the previews were they stapled as well or were the spines glued as often was the case.

No matter what this would be a rarity as there wouldn't be any glue damage that would be found on all other copies sent to the public.

Curious, I found one elsewhere that had sold but the spine is hidden from a glare. The ones in the previews were they stapled as well or were the spines glued as often was the case.

The ones in Previews were glued.

The ones in Previews were glued.

Yep. The ones that were bound in to Previews were most likely trimmed along the left-hand edge as well, but I'm not 100% sure about that...

SOLD via PM!

I do have one final high grade, unbound copy of this in my files, but I was planning to keep it for my portfolio. Still, if someone wants to make me a crazy offer for it (cash or cash/trade), I might be willing to let it go.