• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG SHOW AND TELL! JUMBO 9 - FINEST IN EXISTENCE?!?!?!

90 posts in this topic

Hi All!

Many of you know I am new to the Forums. Personally, this is my best and rarest book. I have never in all the years I've collected, there isn't a finer copy out there I can think of. The Gerber books pictures the Mile High copy, but who's got it?!(Rumor has it it's a mail delivery guy in the west coast)(I know you're out there!!!!!!!)

Would love to compare that to this copy :-)

Let's have some fun :-)

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af23/yfarm1/Jumbo9.jpg

Awesome! No reason to be ashamed! Jumbo 9 is beyond impossible. Definitely is the definition of scarce/rare/obscure - however you look at it! Definitely a keeper!

I think Gerber should have made this a higher index number.

I've seen only a couple copies at shows and online auctions.

Last one I saw personally was a G/VG but had glue all along the spine. If it was unrestored, would've scoffed it up in a second.

Book doesn't increase at all in Overstreet each year probably because there aren't many known sales.

I think the Overstreet Advisors/dealers need to bump the value up of this issue significantly in the years to come.............

Here is mine..I have had it since 1984,...for those who have not scene one it is an "odd" width....scan could be better....the book is supple ....solid VF....jb

As always, JB comes through! :headbang:

Ha ha! Until the book is graded, it means nothing in today's market. It may be unrestored, but you never know what CGC will find down there :-)

I had another copy I won on ebay a while back where I thought was a VF+ with no restoration, which was mentioned according to the seller, but had it checked out and found out it had glue, rice paper, and tear seals.

If yours truly doesn't have restoration, great accomplishment!

Ha ha! Until the book is graded, it means nothing in today's market. It may be unrestored, but you never know what CGC will find down there :-)

All sorts of alarm bells are going off after a statement like this.

Assuming that you're not another shill and just getting carried away with a novice's enthusiasm, please, don't destroy your reputation in just your first few days on the boards by making such an incredibly stupid statement.

Jon Berk is one of the most knowledgeable and respected collectors on the planet and has one of the most incredible collections in existence. Neither he nor other knowledgeable collectors who've seen his books need CGC's "seal of approval", and I can guarantee you that if his books came on the market in unslabbed form, they would still generate an unbelievable amount of excitement and dollars.

There are some pretty knowledgeable people on here and they are pretty good at spotting resto, but more than that if a book is buried in a collection is it really important what CGC thinks?

All sorts of alarm bells are going off after a statement like this.

Assuming that you're not another shill and just getting carried away with a novice's enthusiasm, please, don't destroy your reputation in just your first few days on the boards by making such an incredibly stupid statement.

Jon Berk is one of the most knowledgeable and respected collectors on the planet and has one of the most incredible collections in existence. Neither he nor other knowledgeable collectors who've seen his books need CGC's "seal of approval", and I can guarantee you that if his books came on the market in unslabbed form, they would still generate an unbelievable amount of excitement and dollars.

He's no shill, Tim. He just doesn't know who's who on the boards yet.

Sorry all, didn't mean to confuse you with my statement about the VF Jumbo 9 that's owned by Jon Berk. As mentioned, it's a great accomplishment.

His copy I'm sure is better than mine. It's nice to see one come up in such condition.

I actually thought the name 'JB' was Jerry Buss(owner of the LA Lakers) - I heard he is a big comic collector through a few dealers unless I am wrong?!

Sorry all, didn't mean to confuse you with my statement about the VF Jumbo 9 that's owned by Jon Berk. As mentioned, it's a great accomplishment.

His copy I'm sure is better than mine. It's nice to see one come up in such condition.

I actually thought the name 'JB' was Jerry Buss(owner of the LA Lakers) - I heard he is a big comic collector through a few dealers unless I am wrong?!

I saw Jerry Buss at Comic-Con, back when it was merely the San Diego Comic Convention. He was haggling with a dealer over an early issue of World's Finest. They were about $10 apart, but couldn't come to agreement. When I was selling books through CBG, I occasionally got a call from one of Jerry's employees who was tasked with filling spots on Jerry's want list.