• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another 80's Video Game that has reached the $10,000 mark

98 posts in this topic

CD cases look nothing like the boxes of yesteryear. They are thin small, and plastic. The NES boxes are thicker, and made out of paper. The CD looks nothing like a cartridge.

And how is this affecting the video game market? As far as I can tell, it isn't...if you can detect a difference it's having on desiribility or pricing, please share, because it seems like a trivial difference from a market perspective.

Uumm, you could run to your nearest Staples and buy jewel cases by the thousands, please show me a store where you can buy empty video game boxes?

The nostalgia is in the cartridge and box, not in a jewel case and a manufactured CD. We can all make our own CD's and DVD's on our home computer. They aren't seen as anything special. It's cartridges that bring us back to our youth, hence the value. Plus 2600, and NES is viewed as "the Golden Age".

Jim

I think the focus on boxes/jewel cases/electronic download is a little too specific. Collectors tend to want the most important items in their hobby in a condition as close to original or new as possible.

In the case of vintage games, a mint and complete game has a box, newer games have jewel cases or clamshell-style holders, and digital downloads, well, we'll see how that plays out.

The method of delivery to the end-user is certainly changing and physical media will likely become obsolete, but video gaming as a whole is only gaining strength and mainstream acceptance. As more and more consumers become hard core gamers and collectors, they'll naturally gravitate towards the rare, collectible and important items associated with the roots of their hobby. It won't matter how those items were originally packaged.

I think the focus on boxes/jewel cases/electronic download is a little too specific. Collectors tend to want the most important items in their hobby in a condition as close to original or new as possible.

In the case of vintage games, a mint and complete game has a box, newer games have jewel cases or clamshell-style holders, and digital downloads, well, we'll see how that plays out.

The method of delivery to the end-user is certainly changing and physical media will likely become obsolete, but video gaming as a whole is only gaining strength and mainstream acceptance. As more and more consumers become hard core gamers and collectors, they'll naturally gravitate towards the rare, collectible and important items associated with the roots of their hobby. It won't matter how those items were originally packaged.

I tend to agree with that pov. If gaming stays as big as it is now, nothing else really matters.

The video game market counfounds me. When I clicked that link, I was hoping it was some classic 2600 game like Adventure, Haunted House, etc...but they're always some weirdo game nobody's heard of nor cares about. It's the comic equivalent of some miscellaenous unimportant book like Alpha Flight #76 being worth a ton because it never hit the stands and there are only 5 in existence or something. Valuing rarity for the sake of rarity alone is completely :insane:

Eventually collectors will realize that the money for items in the 80's is not in Comic Books but Video Games.

That makes sense to me. Comic books had already been around for about 50 years at that point. Comics had already been acknowledged as a "collectible item", in that many back issues had appreciated in value and were continuning to do so. Video games in the 1980s were in the stage that comics were, in the 1930s.

I definitely think that video games from the 1980s-1990s will continue to rise in value. So many people were connected to them, that they are bound to rise in value as demand skyrockets in coming years. Whether the golden standard will be in sealed or loose games, who knows.

Dan, you need to roll up your sleeves and show people what's what.

I answered my own question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest

It is rumoured that Jack Tramiel currently owns the last remaining treasures of Swordquest.[10] These include the "Philosopher's Stone," which was a large chunk of white jade in a 18K gold box encrusted with diamonds, emeralds, citrines, and rubies, valued at $25,000 in 1982. The "Crown of Life," which was made of gold and encrusted with aquamarines, diamonds, green tourmalines, rubies, and sapphires, was valued at $25,000 also in 1982. The legendary "Sword of Ultimate Sorcery", which had a handle made of gold and a blade made of silver, was valued at $50,000 in 1982.[citation needed]

According to the Wiki, the Earthworld Talisman and Fireworld Chalice were awarded to winners.

See that is why I like the Atari 2600 so much. The Atari 2600 literally has a grail. Just think about that. One of the most expensive video game related items is a grail. A freaking grail. I can not describe how awesome that is as a collector. Even stuck up NES collectors will give reverence to the grail.

Atari 2600 games are seeing a huge drop, except for the extremely rare 9/10 range. The games to focus on our nintendo and super nintendo sealed games.

Chronotrigger

Earthbound

Ogre Battle

Dracula X

Super Metroid

Harvest Moon

Secret of Mana

black box Donkey Kong

black box Clu Clu Land

Duck Tales 2

Final Fantasy 3

Final Fantasy 2

Legend of Zelda

Legend of Zelda (links)

Mega Man 1 thru 6

TMNT - Tournament Fighters

Lufia 1 & 2

Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga

House of the Dead

Radiant Silvergun (import)

Legend of Oasis

Shining the Holy Ark

Shining Force 3

Sonic Blast

Magic Night Rayearth

Playstation FF 7

Legend of Dragoon

Ogre Battle

Castlevania Symphony

Silent Hill

Lunar 1 & 2

Atari 2600 games are seeing a huge drop, except for the extremely rare 9/10 range. The games to focus on our nintendo and super nintendo sealed games.

Chronotrigger

Earthbound

Ogre Battle

Dracula X

Super Metroid

Harvest Moon

Secret of Mana

black box Donkey Kong

black box Clu Clu Land

Duck Tales 2

Final Fantasy 3

Final Fantasy 2

Legend of Zelda

Legend of Zelda (links)

Mega Man 1 thru 6

TMNT - Tournament Fighters

Lufia 1 & 2

Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga

House of the Dead

Radiant Silvergun (import)

Legend of Oasis

Shining the Holy Ark

Shining Force 3

Sonic Blast

Magic Night Rayearth

Playstation FF 7

Legend of Dragoon

Ogre Battle

Castlevania Symphony

Silent Hill

Lunar 1 & 2

Edit because I went off on a spastic tangent. Dude let people collect, and invest in what they want to collect, and invest in. Lets not Poo, Poo other systems. Atari 2600 collectors don't do that with the Intellivision or the Colecovision, and it is sad so many NES, and SNES collectors feel the need to bash the Atari 2600 as this losing money system. That is simply not true.

Hey maybe people like speculating on an American made, and created system like the Atari 2600, instead of a Japanese made, and created system. Nintendo is a big part of Japanese history, and the Atari is a big part of American history. Let one speculate, or invest, or collect on what they want without ripping into another system.

By the way I could make this statement. The NES, and SNES have riched their peek, and the Atari 2600 is about to drastically expand only the rarest of games are maintaining their value, and moving up. Here are some games to invest in.

Pitfall sealed

Montezuma's revenge boxed or sealed

Any Heavy Sixer original release game.

HERO boxed or sealed

Pitfall II boxed or sealed.

Space Invaders boxed or sealed

Mario Bros.

Adventure boxed or sealed

Frogger boxed or sealed

Frogger II boxed or sealed

Mr. Do boxed or sealed

Mr. Do's Castle boxed or sealed

Q*Bert boxed or sealed

Q*Berts Qubes boxed or sealed

Donkey Kong boxed or sealed

Donkey Kong Jr. Boxed or sealed

Spider-man Boxed or sealed

Superman Boxed or sealed

Warlords Boxed or sealed

Centipede Boxed or Sealed

Pac-man Boxed or Sealed

Dragster Boxed or Sealed

Subterrenea Boxed or Sealed

Kaboom Boxed or Sealed

River Raid Boxed or Sealed

River Raid II Boxed or Sealed

Keystone Kapers Boxed or Sealed

By the way I guarentee you that most forum members have heard more of the games I mentioned over the ones you mentioned.

See that is why I like the Atari 2600 so much. The Atari 2600 literally has a grail. Just think about that. One of the most expensive video game related items is a grail. A freaking grail. I can not describe how awesome that is as a collector. Even stuck up NES collectors will give reverence to the grail.

meeehhhhh.... while I can understand the appeal honestly I'd feel like a spazz if I owned a gold and platinum bejewelled cup. I'd take that boxed air raid instead

By the way I guarentee you that most forum members have heard more of the games I mentioned over the ones you mentioned.

let it go guys :) this is sounding like "my system can beat up your system" :)

(Nuh uh! Can too!)