• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another 80's Video Game that has reached the $10,000 mark

98 posts in this topic

See that is why I like the Atari 2600 so much. The Atari 2600 literally has a grail. Just think about that. One of the most expensive video game related items is a grail. A freaking grail. I can not describe how awesome that is as a collector. Even stuck up NES collectors will give reverence to the grail.

meeehhhhh.... while I can understand the appeal honestly I'd feel like a spazz if I owned a gold and platinum bejewelled cup. I'd take that boxed air raid instead

Are you really thinking logically with this answer? You do realize that the Bejeweled cup is worth over $50,000 in Gold, Platinum, Diamonds, and fine gemstones? When the owner of this game did this interview gold was at all time lows. Platinum, and gold are doing exceedingly well as of late. Just saying that you could sell the Grail, and then buy your Air Raid game, and still have enough money to buy yourself a nice car.

I answered my own question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest

It is rumoured that Jack Tramiel currently owns the last remaining treasures of Swordquest.[10] These include the "Philosopher's Stone," which was a large chunk of white jade in a 18K gold box encrusted with diamonds, emeralds, citrines, and rubies, valued at $25,000 in 1982. The "Crown of Life," which was made of gold and encrusted with aquamarines, diamonds, green tourmalines, rubies, and sapphires, was valued at $25,000 also in 1982. The legendary "Sword of Ultimate Sorcery", which had a handle made of gold and a blade made of silver, was valued at $50,000 in 1982.[citation needed]

According to the Wiki, the Earthworld Talisman and Fireworld Chalice were awarded to winners.

You this was cool, but not very bright either.

Atari must of had so real winners in the their business headquarters.

I mean really. They didn't pay their programers and they left to go else where.

When Atari was in the pinch of stockholders to make money they churned out a

movie related game "E.T." with a skeleton crew of scabs to just get the job done

in time for christmas and vola america DIDN'T buy it!!! Go figure...

Anyway the game crash of '83 about killed home gaming all together because these bozos

didn't know how to make sound decisions.

Giving out over 500k for a prize set up to a very sorry game set is a very bad idea...

Sure the jewels themselves were worth only about what 100–200k but they had to be designed

and there are cost of marketing this contest, having the contest set up with multiple TV's

etc. etc.

Trust me it was cool, but at what cost.

It almost is a situation to where someone wins the power ball lottery and is flat broke in a matter

of a years. Sure he thew some killer parties, but he sure looks like a fool pushing that mop now.

:P

I hate to break it to both of you, but over the long haul, Playstation will be king.

See that is why I like the Atari 2600 so much. The Atari 2600 literally has a grail. Just think about that. One of the most expensive video game related items is a grail. A freaking grail. I can not describe how awesome that is as a collector. Even stuck up NES collectors will give reverence to the grail.

meeehhhhh.... while I can understand the appeal honestly I'd feel like a spazz if I owned a gold and platinum bejewelled cup. I'd take that boxed air raid instead

Are you really thinking logically with this answer? You do realize that the Bejeweled cup is worth over $50,000 in Gold, Platinum, Diamonds, and fine gemstones? When the owner of this game did this interview gold was at all time lows. Platinum, and gold are doing exceedingly well as of late. Just saying that you could sell the Grail, and then buy your Air Raid game, and still have enough money to buy yourself a nice car.

I really didn't think about it too deeply, its all just mental masturbation anyways since I own neither. I wouldn't even know how to evaluate that anyways as I have no idea how many ounces of gold are in the cup, or what the stones are like, etc. Obviously if its really worth 50k today I'd rather have that than air raid but only to be able to sell it.

I hate to break it to both of you, but over the long haul, Playstation will be king.

:roflmao:

In what regard? I don't agree if you're talking about collectbale value or king of future console wars. I think Sony is now the most vulnerable of the big 3.

Crash Bandicoot vs Mario???

I'll take Mario all day long :acclaim:

Jim

I just found you one of the Giant Nintendo Graphic Novels that i thought I had two of. I shall not be buying any beer, if I am around you in Chicago. :acclaim:

If y'all are into classic video games, you have to check out the film "The King of Kong"

It's a hilarious documentary about two gamers battling it out for the highest score ever on the classic arcade game Donkey Kong

only when you make partner though, so it could be a while :rulez::acclaim::P:kidaround:

I'm working as fast as I can. :sorry:lol

Crash Bandicoot vs Mario???

I'll take Mario all day long :acclaim:

Jim

I see what you did there.

Sega Saturn has more sought after games then PS.

The Saturn has some real gems that were released right before the system died in the US. The head of Sega of America thought that RPGs were only a fad and were not meant for American audiences. That's so ridiculous considering that at the same time Final Fantasy 7 was pulling in oodles of cash in the states.

This insane attitude results in some of the best RPGs on any platform being released in limited quantities at the end of the Saturn’s run. Considering the quality of these titles, the nature of RPGs as the most collectable of genres and the very limited quantity it's not surprising that some of these games can fetch big bucks. These games include Burning Rangers, Dragon Force, Panzar Dragon Saga and Shining Force 3 Scenario 1.

Shining Force was released in Japan as 3 separate scenarios that each told the same tale from three separate points of view. Unfortunately, America was only treated to the first scenario but fans have translated the second scenario and it can be located online for download and playable through use of an emulator.

:lol: :lol: :lol: