• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Just Certified a Second New Mutants 98 in 9.9

452 posts in this topic

J.C's bear up a tree analogy is starting to take place. At least for the copper age. First 9.6's were good enough, and commanded a premium. Than 9.8's became the new standard, now it looks like we are starting to make 9.9's the new standard for Coppers. If CGC starts to give in, and handing out 9.9's like they were candy it won't be long before the whole thing falls apart. I mean, there is only one more grade higher than 9.9, and that is a 10.0. So unless CGC is going to pull a spinal tap by bringing out an 11.0 there is nowhere to go. I can see the sales pitch now "All 10.0's are perfect, but 11.0's are more perfect than perfect."
It will start slow. First the 10.2, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.8 THEN the 11.0! :headbang:

J.C's bear up a tree analogy is starting to take place. At least for the copper age. First 9.6's were good enough, and commanded a premium. Than 9.8's became the new standard, now it looks like we are starting to make 9.9's the new standard for Coppers. If CGC starts to give in, and handing out 9.9's like they were candy it won't be long before the whole thing falls apart. I mean, there is only one more grade higher than 9.9, and that is a 10.0. So unless CGC is going to pull a spinal tap by bringing out an 11.0 there is nowhere to go. I can see the sales pitch now "All 10.0's are perfect, but 11.0's are more perfect than perfect."

Please do NOT give any credibility to JC. He won't even be able to get his head through the door to get into the general forum.

Please do NOT give any credibility to CGC. He won't even be able to get his head through the door to get into the general forum.

MODS!!!!

I just sent in two. Is there a way to check where it came from?

Yes. If you go to the census and turn off all the lights in your room. Then place a diaper (preferably clean) on your head. While typing the census information in, shine a blacklight on the screen. When the information pops up, the blacklight will show a small indicator of what region of the country the submission came from. Godspeed.

Yes. If you go to the census and turn off all the lights in your room. Then place a diaper (preferably clean) on your head. While typing the census information in, shine a blacklight on the screen. When the information pops up, the blacklight will show a small indicator of what region of the country the submission came from. Godspeed.

Okay, everything but the black light is in place. Where did I put that damned black light!

(I really did just sub two recently, but I just crossed paths with a black cat about an hour ago so surely neither of them is the 9.9)

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an idiot, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

i don't buy into the concept that we, as a collection of ostensibly well-informed comic book collectors can never make a judgment on a relatively stupid, stupid, stupid comic purchase. i don't know where the tipping point is between "silly" and "stupid" but i do know that buying a copper age Marvel key in 9.9 for $12k is well afield into the latter

Please do NOT give any credibility to CGC JC. He won't even be able to get his head through the door to get into the general forum.

MODS!!!!

Meant to say JC. Corrected.

:angel:

4!!!!!!!!

That's 4 money shots in one night!!!!

:applause:

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an idiot, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

i don't buy into the concept that we, as a collection of ostensibly well-informed comic book collectors can never make a judgment on a relatively stupid, stupid, stupid comic purchase. i don't know where the tipping point is between "silly" and "stupid" but i do know that buying a copper age Marvel key in 9.9 for $12k is well afield into the latter

What year and how much did the Dentist allegedly pay for his Action 1?

I seriously hope you aren't trying to draw a comparison between the two....

There's a difference between making a judgment on a purchase and calling the buyer a name.

I get called names all the time so I'm qualified to know the difference.

:cry:

There should be a corollary to Godwin's Law that relates to making comparisons to Action 1.

this is a stupid attempt at an analogy and you know it. or at least, you should