• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you use to clean your slab?

50 posts in this topic

CGC tells us to change the slab every 7 years. That is, for me, enough of a reason to crack them out and put in longer more trust-worthy storage. (shrug) Doesn't mean I don't like slabs, just worried about the book and it's long term storage. The slab, pretty looking or whatever, isn't intended to be a long term solution.

Dan

CGC tells us to change the slab every 7 years. That is, for me, enough of a reason to crack them out and put in longer more trust-worthy storage. (shrug) Doesn't mean I don't like slabs, just worried about the book and it's long term storage. The slab, pretty looking or whatever, isn't intended to be a long term solution.

Dan

:roflmao:

Dan

You disagree, that's cool! Slab up, my friend!

Dan

I just wipe it with my a :censored: s :acclaim:

Wow i love the collection quote in your sig.

Thanks! :)

I use Windex™

You use Windex on your @ss....., :eek:

:gossip: I am starting to understand your motivations....,

I use Windex™

Somedays it can be quite refreshing :cloud9:

I use Windex™

You mean as a follow up to running all those slabs through the crease? :eek:

I use Windex™

You mean as a follow up to running all those slabs through the crease? :eek:

:roflmao::roflmao::o:roflmao:

I just put some in the dishwasher, I'll let you know how well that works...

c'mon the guys after serious advice...if your going to put it in the dishwasher make sure you remove the comic from the slab first

When you crack it out, what do you put the book into?

I usually spring for a fancy dinner to get this done, but if I've got no other choice and am forced to clean my own slab, Suicide Girls gets the job done almost every time. :cloud9:

Dan

You disagree, that's cool! Slab up, my friend!

Dan

First of all, CGC does not recommend you change the slab. The only thing they have said is that the micro chamber paper may lose its effectiveness after seven years. Which all that means is it stops doing what it was doing. It doesn't reverse its role and begin to off gas. If you want to have it changed, that's fine, but it isn't a valid reason on its own to have your books reholdered. I have had books in nothing but a backing board and a Mylar for over twenty years. No micro chamber paper at all. The pages are still as white as the day I put them in the Mylar.

Do books get SCS? Sure they do, when you treat them like frisbees. Tell me what happens the next time you drop a book in a Mylite on its corner. Yes, I know books can shift and staples can tear in slabs, just like I have cut pages and covers in two when using open top Mylars and pulled off chunks of a cover with tape.

With the proper storage and care, a book in a slab isn't going to fair any worse than a book stored in a bag and board... not in our lifetime anyway.

fkabg5.jpg

I got the same type of message. Although, at my company, it's much more menacing and I suspect my name just went onto a list somewhere.

Yeah, my name probably went on a list too. :(

I have had books in nothing but a backing board and a Mylar for over twenty years. No micro chamber paper at all. The pages are still as white as the day I put them in the Mylar.

If you're talking about the open-topped type of mylar, then you really didn't need the microchamber paper in the first place as the off-gassing largely will go out the open top. The last Library of Congress recommendation I saw on using mylars recommended the type that's open on two sides, but one side is better than none--no opening is unfortunately what the CGC slab achieves. CGC's case is sometimes but not always airtight and even watertight, but even if it isn't it's always close to it, so gasses get trapped in, hence the need for microchamber paper. I can't fathom why CGC didn't build slits down the right and left sides to allow gases to escape...I've got some educated guesses, but I won't share them because I'm not in a rumor-spreading type of mood today. :blush: If the CGC case had slits, they could openly boast that it's the absolute-best form of preservation and protection available for comics today...I don't get it. (shrug)

The Cole/Gerber boards that have calcium carbonate buffers perform the same gas-absorbing role as microchamber paper as well if you're using those. I dunno which absorbs more gas, but my guess would be the microchamber paper.