• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you use to clean your slab?

50 posts in this topic

fkabg5.jpg

I got the same type of message. Although, at my company, it's much more menacing and I suspect my name just went onto a list somewhere.

Heh, my bad, I removed the link, my tact deserted me for a minute there...kind of a tame site, but not in the Puritan America we live in. :blush:

I have had books in nothing but a backing board and a Mylar for over twenty years. No micro chamber paper at all. The pages are still as white as the day I put them in the Mylar.

If you're talking about the open-topped type of mylar, then you really didn't need the microchamber paper in the first place as the off-gassing largely will go out the open top. The last Library of Congress recommendation I saw on using mylars recommended the type that's open on two sides, but one side is better than none--no opening is unfortunately what the CGC slab achieves. CGC's case is sometimes but not always airtight and even watertight, but even if it isn't it's always close to it, so gasses get trapped in, hence the need for microchamber paper. I can't fathom why CGC didn't build slits down the right and left sides to allow gases to escape...I've got some educated guesses, but I won't share them because I'm not in a rumor-spreading type of mood today. :blush: If the CGC case had slits, they could openly boast that it's the absolute-best form of preservation and protection available for comics today...I don't get it. (shrug)

The Cole/Gerber boards that have calcium carbonate buffers perform the same gas-absorbing role as microchamber paper as well if you're using those. I dunno which absorbs more gas, but my guess would be the microchamber paper.

It's the Mylar with the pre-molded flap.

Where are you putting slits? On the case itself or the inner well?

fkabg5.jpg

I got the same type of message. Although, at my company, it's much more menacing and I suspect my name just went onto a list somewhere.

Heh, my bad, I removed the link, my tact deserted me for a minute there...kind of a tame site, but not in the Puritan America we live in. :blush:

Probably banned cuz the preview has some tasty nekkkid wimminz

Where are you putting slits? On the case itself or the inner well?

Both...if you did just one, the gas would still get trapped. The inner well is the most important one that needs slits, it seems like it has the tightest seal.

If you're talking about the open-topped type of mylar, then you really didn't need the microchamber paper in the first place as the off-gassing largely will go out the open top.

I pretty much agree with what you wrote except for this part. Even with an open top, I'd still use microchamber paper to minimize transfer stain to the front and back cover.

If you're talking about the open-topped type of mylar, then you really didn't need the microchamber paper in the first place as the off-gassing largely will go out the open top.

I pretty much agree with what you wrote except for this part. Even with an open top, I'd still use microchamber paper to minimize transfer stain to the front and back cover.

I do believe that's closer to ideal! (thumbs u