• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Point Grading Scale- who actually invented it?

36 posts in this topic

If you search these boards, you'll find a post somewhere around 2002 to 2004 where Fishler himself claims credit, and another from Borock where he confirmed it. He proposed it as a simplification of the 100-point Overstreet scale proposed in his grading guide. This 10-point scale has only 25 notches of precision...100 notches was far, far too much given the imprecision of the grading standard in lacking standardized deductions for specific defect types and severities. 25 notches is tough enough given that many of us and even CGC varies with even that comparatively few notches of precision. Maybe it should actually be more like 15, but eh, 25 gives us something to shoot for!

Ive been grading with a 10 point scale since the early 1970's when I first noticed girls.

I also invented and patented the rock before the pet rock was such a fad.

I'm still waiting on my lawsuit to settle.

Personally I like the 9.5 grade. So at one point there were 26.

You talking about that weird "Wizard Grade" thing CGC did for a little while? The scale they were using for the "Wizard Grade" had even fewer notches than their normal scale...I forget what the numbers were, didn't it go from 9.0 to 9.5 to 10.0 with nothing in-between?

Why's it called the 10-point scale when there are 7 grading 'points' in NM/M alone?

Because it is based on a scale from 0.5 to 10.0 not including the NG designation.

Or, you could include NG as being zero and still claim it to be a ten point system.

Why's it called the 10-point scale when there are 7 grading 'points' in NM/M alone?

Because it is based on a scale from 0.5 to 10.0 not including the NG designation.

Or, you could include NG as being zero and still claim it to be a ten point system.

My sarcasm isn't at it's best when I'm at work.

My sarcasm isn't at it's best when I'm at work.

What sarcasm? Oh, you mean British humor.

Personally I like the 9.5 grade. So at one point there were 26.

You talking about that weird "Wizard Grade" thing CGC did for a little while? The scale they were using for the "Wizard Grade" had even fewer notches than their normal scale...I forget what the numbers were, didn't it go from 9.0 to 9.5 to 10.0 with nothing in-between?

Something like that. The 9.5 was the New 9.8.

The one we're using today was invented by Steve Fishler.

Prior to CGC Metropolis used a 40 pt. grading scale.

The one we're using today was invented by Steve Fishler.

Prior to CGC Metropolis used a 40 pt. grading scale.

Was it using the same notches CGC is using from 0.5 to 10 plus fifteen extra in-between numbers like 8.2, 8.7, etc, or was it using entirely different numbers?