• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top ten silver

192 posts in this topic

I agree with most of these, two books that will significantly continue to appreciate in value will be TOS 39(Iron Man) and Showcase 22(Green Lantern). The reasons why they will both move up on the ladder is because they have made the transition to the modern audience better then some of the others. Iron man really fits in with today`s tech oriented society than a man who can run real fast(Flash), while Green Lantern the character is not epic his storyline and supporting Green Lantern Corps are.You have a great space opera here plus Sinestro is a evil modern villian. The modern new audiences have to like the characters also, nostalgia will only take you so far.Green Lantern and Ironman have become relevent while some of the others are starting to look a little lame and hokey to modern audiences. ;)

In my opinion:

FF1 - the start of the Marvel Age

AF15 - No need to repeat what's already known

BB 28 - Without this one there wouldn't be an FF1

SC 4 - Silver age heroes begin and kicked off what we grew to love

Avengers 4 & FF 4 - Re-Introduction of GA heroes

TOS 39 - A pretty underrated hero until a few years ago now making a huge splash

JIM 83 - Get the gods involved - opens the door to future Norse, Greek and Roman gods

X-Men 1 - look how many X-books this has spawned

Honorable Mention

Hulk 1 - A key Marvel character that's either a hero or villain depending on the day

SC 22 - Yeah it GL, but not really one that blows your mind

Are these lists picking books that historically important... (shrug) or financially important. hm

There is a difference.

this is all about personal opinions

what ever criteria u wann us e is fine

my eventuall intention, is to to take all the lists that get posted

and add the rankings for each book, the lowest number gets the highest ranking.

and then we'll have a decent forum consensus of the top 10 silver

Are these lists picking books that historically important... (shrug) or financially important. hm

There is a difference.

This is fun, but just know that it's been done before in the forums. You might want to read those threads too.

There is a difference.

This is fun, but just know that it's been done before in the forums. You might want to read those threads too.

yeah, everythings been done b4

did a search w/no results for silver, so i figure we'll give it a try

if it works out great, if not no big deal

There is a difference.

It wasn't defined. These polls always depend on how people define "top ten." If we're just talking about historically important my list would be a lot different. I think you'd have to have X-men 1 in there not because it was a great book ora great SA series, but because it became good and incredibly popular after the SA.

I always approach these polls as the top ten SA books during the SA . In other words, I'm not as interested in what the characters morphed into later on, but what they did for the SA at the time. Not saying this is right or wrong, but it's how I look at it, and it's how I collect.

And even though Marvel Zombies don't acknowledge it, the first part of the SA belonged to DC, and then the Marvel Age began. That's why I put more weight on books like Showcase 6 (first Challengers) and Adventure 247.

There is a difference.

yeah, everythings been done b4

did a search w/no results for silver, so i figure we'll give it a try

if it works out great, if not no big deal

I think these threads always work! What's better than arguing about a top ten list? (thumbs u

I don't have the dates in front of me, but Adventure 247, the first Legion of Super-Heroes predates Brave and Bold 28, iirc, by well over a year, and was the first team group of the Silver Age.
Ad247 was 4/58 and BB28 was 3/60--i think? I'm not the best at SA DC...

I don't have the dates in front of me, but Adventure 247, the first Legion of Super-Heroes predates Brave and Bold 28, iirc, by well over a year, and was the first team group of the Silver Age.

You're right, except the Legion predates the JLA by almost 2 years.

And for the record, the Challengers of the Unkown predates the Legion by over a year.

And for the record, the Challengers of the Unkown predates the Legion by over a year.

The Challengers weren't Super-Heroes, though. Didn't Blackhawk predate them?

AF15 number 1, no doubt about that

:baiting: It's not even the number 1 Marvel.

I meant to say #1 on the top ten silver age comics

:baiting: I know.

Just funnin with you, but I do think FF 1 is the bigger book.

It might be the bigger book in terms of importance of the silver age but desirability wise-The margin will widen as time passes by

The Challengers weren't Super-Heroes, though. Didn't Blackhawk predate them?

That's a great point - Blackhawk gets no credit as the first Team Group of the SA - though granted, not the first new team group.

It might be the bigger book in terms of importance of the silver age but desirability wise-The margin will widen as time passes by

AF15 has established itself as the GRAIL of SA. Showcase 22 might possibly be the #1 DC SA and the GL movie will set the direction.

AF15 has established itself as the GRAIL of SA. Showcase 22 might possibly be the #1 DC SA and the GL movie will set the direction.

22 over 4?

not discounting the importance of the GL character, just always thought flash had the edge.

22 over 4?

not discounting the importance of the GL character, just always thought flash had the edge.

Showcase 22 has not yet surpass Showcase 4 in importance. The exposure of the GL story lines, and the movie is placing it almost neck to neck. Again, the movie (mass media) will set the direction. Also, SC22 was dormant and awaken so quickly.