• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superpowered Captain America? What gives??

24 posts in this topic

Okay, I am really, really looking forward to the Cap movie.

Now that much of the casting is complete & now that we know that it will be a WWII period piece, I'm curious about a couple of things:

1) the costume. Will we see a variety of shields? Will he have scale mail? Will he have an A on his forehead or wings over his ears? Will he even wear a mask or costume? Why would a soldier wear a red, white, & blue costume into battle? How about those swashbuckling red boots?

2) Cap's powers. Will he be a peak olympic level athlete without superpowers a la the traditional Marvel Universe Cap or will we see a superpowered, superstrong Cap like the Ultimates' version?

What do you think? hm

Which do you prefer? (shrug)

Pass the crack pipe? :wishluck:

If Marvel is going to tie these into a future Avengers movie I would think Captain America would at least have abilities along the lines of that soldier who battled the Hulk (before becoming Abomination). He was on some Super Soldier serum, right?

Costume? I think the Ultimates WW2 version lends itself to live action more than the traditional one. That traditional Cap outfit looks great artistically, but as soon as you bring it into the real world... Well, there's a chesse-factor danger zone that's going to be tough to avoid imho. I think the only way to use the traditional costume would be a 100% CG movie, where every visual aspect is controlled.

4034999203_8d0cc7a418.jpg

Traditional costume just like Schomburg drew him on all those 40s war covers :cool: Round shield over the triangular. I hope they have at least one parachute scene in the movie--just like All Selects 1 and 2 covers-- :headbang:

What America will he represent? Will he be Captain Multi Cultural America? Can he still be red, white, and blue? (shrug)

Huh?

They're still the USA's colors.

I'm guessing a Captain Multi Cultural America would wear them too, but apologize for doing so. (shrug)

2) Cap's powers. Will he be a peak olympic level athlete without superpowers a la the traditional Marvel Universe Cap or will we see a superpowered, superstrong Cap like the Ultimates' version?

Actually, Captain America is more than a peak Olympic level athlete due to the Super Soldier serum. So, it can already be argued that he has super powers when compared to the average person.

Actually, Captain America is more than a peak Olympic level athlete due to the Super Soldier serum. So, it can already be argued that he has super powers when compared to the average person.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

+2

Also, we know (or surmise) that he had the round shield when he went under, as it showed up both under the ice, and in iron man's lab.

My guess is similar to IM, they will start out with the badge shield, and it will somehow break, giving rise to the round one before the film ends.

If the plot synopsis on imdb is to be believed the movie will only be partially set in WW2, and while imdb is far from 100% reliable concerning these things, it makes sense to me - the film is likely to have broader appeal if it brings Cap into the modern era, just using the WW2 stuff to set up his origin, supposed death and the Red Skull as the villian. My guess is that the frozen block of ice with Cap inside will be discovered no more than forty minutes into the movie, and likely sooner.

Here is an interview from a couple months ago with Joe Johnston which touches on the costume(s).

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/5768/joe-johnston-discusses-captain-america-casting-and-reveals-costume-and-plot-details

Cap as USO entertainer?

Oh, isn't that a clever conceit! Will li'l Stevie Rogers be wearing gold lame with sequined accents & a riot of exquisite piping, wrapped in a never-ending pink feather boa to die for? Will he high kick & cry every other scene whilst Bucky remains perpetually bound before the spinning, hungry blades of buzz-saws? How delightfully scrumptious! Now that's a Star Spangled Avenger with nothing to apologize for! Fashion Gods Bless America!

Oooooooo, will there be lots of uniformed SS Officers toooooo??????

Just cast as Cap that Aussie dude who played the cryin Wolverine in 4 films & be done with it. meh

(thumbs u

I read a reprint of Captain America #1 way too long ago to be confidently accurate but I recall that he was given enhanced strength and intelligence. Anyone have a reprint handy? (shrug)

He's going to be the way Tim Roth was in the last Hulk movie. He had the Super Soldier serum and he was Super Duper powered.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I read a reprint of Captain America #1 way too long ago to be confidently accurate but I recall that he was given enhanced strength and intelligence. Anyone have a reprint handy? (shrug)

got one somewhere...ill check it later, but im sure hes not super human, but the super soldier serum makes him the perfect human...

(thumbs u

got one somewhere...ill check it later, but im sure hes not super human, but the super soldier serum makes him the perfect human...

got it - "his stature and intelligence increase to an amazing degree" verbatum from the doctor before he gets shot in the face - so you can read into that what you will...