• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Is Great News--Joss Whedon to Direct The Avengers

76 posts in this topic

I don't think Edward Norton would give anything but respect to a director. I just don't see him as a guy who thinks of himself as "I'm Edward Norton, I'm the man!" and while yes Sam Jackson does think of himself as "I'm Sam Jackson, I'm the man!" because well he's the only Jedi with a lightsaber that says BMF on it, I still think he's a professional and as such will do his job exactly the way it needs to be done.

Yes, Ed Norton DOES think that...all actors do. When you know that millions of people like you, it's inevitable. However, some actors have more control of it than others, and I agree that Ed Norton's ego does appear to be greatly in check.

Sam Jackson seems to have his ego in check when I've seen him in interviews...I could see him acting and talking like he's the man mostly in jest, but as is his usual style, make it sound like he seriously does think he's the man...I'm guessing that's what you meant. hm

I think Joss Whedon is a fine choice for the film and he won't have to "prove" himself to anyone involved in the movie. I won't live vicariously through whatever means gives some the insight into just how the cast will react to Whedon as director. :screwy:

So this isn't the place where we discuss what ifs and what might bes? And as far as insight goes, 'Joss Whedon is a fine choice for the film' seems to be a huge chunk of same?

As is 'he won't have to "prove" himself to anyone involved in the movie'. I can only assume that you know the cast personally and know how they treat inexperienced, non-A list directors?

Oh, and your second sentence is borderline unintelligible.

Yes, this is a place for what ifs, and it seems many statements made here are done in a factual context. As for "unintelligible", I'm sure you know what the word vicarious means.

:whatev:

Yeah, all a bit underwhelming.

Don't get me wrong...it's not a disastrous choice, but...

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

Just where do he earn his stripes at that level? (shrug)

Fairly unwarranted criticism based upon the quality of Whedon's previous works, particularly given that your statement above also applies to the directors of the best comic book movies ever created--Nolan and Raimi--at the time they entered the Batman and Spider-Man franchises. Hiring Whedon for this reminds me a LOT of putting J. J. Abrams on Star Trek, who also had made his bones with fantastic work in television but not to the level of an iconic work such as the original Star Trek storyline...we can only hope Whedon rises to the same level that Abrams did! :wishluck:

I'm sorry but the above statement (the one highlighted in bold type) is simply inaccurate.

Chris Nolan had Memento and Insomnia under his belt when he took over Batman. The first was one of the best reviewed movies of all time and the second was an extremely high profile project, starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hillary Swank (with a fresh Academy Award in her hands).

Sam Raimi had already collaborated with Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe (albeit before he was hot), Billy Bob Thornton, Cate Blanchett (post-Elizabeth), Keanu Reeves and the aforementioned Hillary Swank (again, with fresh Academy Award in her hands).

Whedon doesn't even come close to that level of high profile projects AND especially top level collaboarators (actors).

And it's this last point that F_T keeps making for the last "x" number of pages.

Whedon might be a talented director, a great writer, a super nice guy and a uber-geek* but he doesn't have hollywood clout, at least not on a level that will make the stars of the film treat him as "equal"

That's all. (thumbs u

Chris Nolan had Memento and Insomnia under his belt when he took over Batman. The first was one of the best reviewed movies of all time and the second was an extremely high profile project, starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hillary Swank (with a fresh Academy Award in her hands).

Sam Raimi had already collaborated with Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe (albeit before he was hot), Billy Bob Thornton, Cate Blanchett (post-Elizabeth), Keanu Reeves and the aforementioned Hillary Swank (again, with fresh Academy Award in her hands).

Hmm, you're right...I had seen Memento but it had B-list actors, I didn't even know he did Insomnia. Anybody seen that? I loved Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight...feel like I need to see Insomnia now.

And WOW, I missed a LOT of Raimi's movies, I thought he had only done B-list horror. IMDB shows he also worked with Kevin Costner on "For the Love of the Game," didn't see that one either but I'm quite surprised that's Raimi.

Whedon is going to be ordering around a stellar cast comprising Norton, Downey Jr, Samuel L Jackson, etc...

Fairly unwarranted criticism based upon the quality of Whedon's previous works, particularly given that your statement above also applies to the directors of the best comic book movies ever created--Nolan and Raimi--at the time they entered the Batman and Spider-Man franchises. Hiring Whedon for this reminds me a LOT of putting J. J. Abrams on Star Trek, who also had made his bones with fantastic work in television but not to the level of an iconic work such as the original Star Trek storyline...we can only hope Whedon rises to the same level that Abrams did! :wishluck:

I'm sorry but the above statement (the one highlighted in bold type) is simply inaccurate.

Whedon doesn't even come close to that level of high profile projects AND especially top level collaboarators (actors).

And it's this last point that F_T keeps making for the last "x" number of pages.

Whedon might be a talented director, a great writer, a super nice guy and a uber-geek* but he doesn't have hollywood clout, at least not on a level that will make the stars of the film treat him as "equal"

That's all. (thumbs u

Cheers! (thumbs u

I'm not dissing Whedon's talent, nor his current resume, I'm just saying that is a whole new ball of wax and he'll have to step up to the plate.

Do I believe he'll do it? I hope so. :wishluck:

And how do you expect that perceived inequality to manifest itself on set?

And how do you expect that perceived inequality to manifest itself on set?

Well, certain stars will want things doing their way and with a weaker director, they may well get their own way.

Might. Not will. Might.

And it's common knowledge that Norton was throwing his weight around a bit with how the last Hulk movie was turning out.

Hmm, you're right...I had seen Memento but it had B-list actors, I didn't even know he did Insomnia. Anybody seen that? I loved Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight...feel like I need to see Insomnia now.

And WOW, I missed a LOT of Raimi's movies, I thought he had only done B-list horror. IMDB shows he also worked with Kevin Costner on "For the Love of the Game," didn't see that one either but I'm quite surprised that's Raimi.

FLOG was a good movie. Nice little spin on the baseball movie genre.

Funny thing is, Costner was the first A-list actor I meant to mention and when I started trying to remember them all, I forgot him doh!

And yes, it is a pretty good movie.

As for Insomnia, I found it a bit... slowish, to be honest. But there was definitely some good acting there.

Wow, Raimi did "A Simple Plan"...I saw that, it was great, had no idea he did that one.

His best film, IMHO. I still can't believe Bridgett has quit acting. She was great in that one - and in almost everything else she ever did, as well!* :cloud9:

(*OK, let's try to forget Monkeybone :sick: )

That's all. (thumbs u

Cheers! (thumbs u

I'm not dissing Whedon's talent, nor his current resume, I'm just saying that is a whole new ball of wax and he'll have to step up to the plate.

Do I believe he'll do it? I hope so. :wishluck:

So do I. (thumbs u