• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of a restored 6.0 CGC ASM#1

62 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I would like opinions on the current value of a ASM #1 in apparent 6.0 condition. Slight cover touch and the book apparently was trimmed. I bought this book in 1982 and the seller ( a well known big player in the marketplace) had it graded as NM.

2 weeks ago I finally took it out of a safe and had it looked at by Matt Nelson and the gentlemen at CGC at Wondercon. To my shagrin, the book had been color touched and also slightly trimmed.

I never touched this book as far as any restoration and am a bit bummed that I was sold a bundle of lies. I know grading standards were quite different back then, but I was still hoping to have a F/VF unrestored book.

Anyway, any help on pricing would be appreciated. I'll post a scan of it once I get it back from CGC this week.

Thanking you all in advance for your opinion.

Scott

Hi everyone,

I would like opinions on the current value of a ASM #1 in apparent 6.0 condition. Slight cover touch and the book apparently was trimmed. I bought this book in 1982 and the seller ( a well known big player in the marketplace) had it graded as NM.

2 weeks ago I finally took it out of a safe and had it looked at by Matt Nelson and the gentlemen at CGC at Wondercon. To my shagrin, the book had been color touched and also slightly trimmed.

I never touched this book as far as any restoration and am a bit bummed that I was sold a bundle of lies. I know grading standards were quite different back then, but I was still hoping to have a F/VF unrestored book.

Anyway, any help on pricing would be appreciated. I'll post a scan of it once I get it back from CGC this week.

Thanking you all in advance for your opinion.

Scott

Except for chagrin spelled with a an s . . . this is one heck of a sad story. :(:cry:

:gossip: Curious minds want to know . . . (see bold)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. All of us long-time collectors have eaten it on one book or another. Looking at GPA, the history shows $1548 avg. for 2 trimmed 5.5 books in 2008. Then there is a SA 6.0 that went for $2300 and two trimmed 6.5s for $1840 and $2200. So, $1800-$1900 would be tops I think. Trimming is the worst kind of restoration. WTTBs

Divad,

Thanks for the spelling lesson. Thanks for wasting time too.

Sad to hear about the book. A couple posts up $2,000 was given as a ballpark GPA figure for a CGC graded copy.

Rip-off artists selling books with undisclosed restoration is a factor in the creation of CGC.

Welcome to the boards.

Fantastic Thor, Silver and Torch,

Thank you for your responses. Since I have been "out of the loop" for 20 years or so from collecting, my second question isn't at restored book a restored book? Aren't values for a restored 6.0 universal, whether it be color touch, trimming, etc?

I just saw an apparent 6.0 on CGC with a list of 6K and a bid of 3K?

Thank you again for your courteous replies.

Scott

Fantastic Thor, Silver and Torch,

Thank you for your responses. Since I have been "out of the loop" for 20 years or so from collecting, my second question isn't at restored book a restored book? Aren't values for a restored 6.0 universal, whether it be color touch, trimming, etc?

I just saw an apparent 6.0 on CGC with a list of 6K and a bid of 3K?

Thank you again for your courteous replies.

Scott

Unfortunately Trimming is forever where as color touch / tape can be removed and is not as bad...

The boards are a great source of info so take a look around. I have learned more on here then years in shops...

Hope this helps.

T

Things have changed since I was collecting. Signing any book back then was like taking scissors to a book.

How much would the price go up if Stan were to sign it? And, how much does he charge to sign? lol

I am going to have Matt Nelson look at it again. He felt that it wasn't trimmed, but that the top to bottom centering was different as the book was the same size as the regulars.

Oh well, I'll probably just sell it for whatever I can get now. Luckily the other books I took from "unknown dealers" were all original and in better condition than what I thought they were.

Does anyone have a bottle of Patron?????

Well I had an AF #15 CGC 6.5 SS signed by Stan that was trimmed and had two tiny color touch spots on it I sold it for 5800.00 on ebay about 4 months ago. I would guess a unsigned CGC 6.5 trimmed Af #15 would bring 3000.00-3600.00 . I got lucky though the guy really didnt mind the trimming considering a Unrestored CGC 6.5 would have cost him 3 times that amount

Well I had an AF #15 CGC 6.5 SS signed by Stan that was trimmed and had two tiny color touch spots on it I sold it for 5800.00 on ebay about 4 months ago. I would guess a unsigned CGC 6.5 trimmed Af #15 would bring 3000.00-3600.00 . I got lucky though the guy really didnt mind the trimming considering a Unrestored CGC 6.5 would have cost him 3 times that amount

This is how sick this hobby is . . . take a nice copy of an SA grail, mark up the creases with a marker to make it look "better", trim off the edges to make it look "sharper", then have it further sloppily defaced with a sharpie on it's front cover all the while in front of "agents" of the self-proclaimed experts in restoration detection, and have it then certified . . . kind of ironic, don't you think?