• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of a restored 6.0 CGC ASM#1

62 posts in this topic

Well I had an AF #15 CGC 6.5 SS signed by Stan that was trimmed and had two tiny color touch spots on it I sold it for 5800.00 on ebay about 4 months ago. I would guess a unsigned CGC 6.5 trimmed Af #15 would bring 3000.00-3600.00 . I got lucky though the guy really didnt mind the trimming considering a Unrestored CGC 6.5 would have cost him 3 times that amount

This is how sick this hobby is . . . take a nice copy of an SA grail, mark up the creases with a marker to make it look "better", trim off the edges to make it look "sharper", then have it further sloppily defaced with a sharpie on it's front cover all the while in front of "agents" of the self-proclaimed experts in restoration detection, and have it then certified . . . kind of ironic, don't you think?

This book only had two pin tip sized color touch marks in the upper right and was trimmed on top and right sides I bought it CGCed 6.5 restored so I didn't do anything other than crack it out at Pittsburgh last year have Stan sign it and resumbitted through Dessert Winds. I dont see anything wrong with that (shrug)

They buyer paid what he wanted for it and was very happy to get it. Am I missing something here?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3884%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=761962

Well, perhaps the market is going up. Comiclink has a restored 6.0 with trimming listed at 6K and a current bid of 3K. When first looking at it an hour ago, I thought it wasn't trim but when I took a second look, it clearly states that it has been trimmed.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Scott

Well I had an AF #15 CGC 6.5 SS signed by Stan that was trimmed and had two tiny color touch spots on it I sold it for 5800.00 on ebay about 4 months ago. I would guess a unsigned CGC 6.5 trimmed Af #15 would bring 3000.00-3600.00 . I got lucky though the guy really didnt mind the trimming considering a Unrestored CGC 6.5 would have cost him 3 times that amount

This is how sick this hobby is . . . take a nice copy of an SA grail, mark up the creases with a marker to make it look "better", trim off the edges to make it look "sharper", then have it further sloppily defaced with a sharpie on it's front cover all the while in front of "agents" of the self-proclaimed experts in restoration detection, and have it then certified . . . kind of ironic, don't you think?

This book only had two pin tip sized color touch marks in the upper right and was trimmed on top and right sides I bought it CGCed 6.5 restored so I didn't do anything other than crack it out at Pittsburgh last year have Stan sign it and resumbitted through Dessert Winds. I dont see anything wrong with that (shrug)

They buyer paid what he wanted for it and was very happy to get it. Am I missing something here?

Trey,

I wasn't criticizing your transaction :foryou: just noting the irony of it all, and the multi-faceted illusion of manufactured value. You are right, any good transaction is defined by a satisfied buyer. :)

-d

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3884%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=761962

Well, perhaps the market is going up. Comiclink has a restored 6.0 with trimming listed at 6K and a current bid of 3K. When first looking at it an hour ago, I thought it wasn't trim but when I took a second look, it clearly states that it has been trimmed.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Scott

Scott,

C-link sales and bids are notoriously untrustworthy data. :gossip:

-d

Trey,

I wasn't criticizing your transaction :foryou: just noting the irony of it all, and the multi-faceted illusion of manufactured value. You are right, any good transaction is defined by a satisfied buyer. :)

-d

(thumbs u

Things have changed since I was collecting. Signing any book back then was like taking scissors to a book.

How much would the price go up if Stan were to sign it? And, how much does he charge to sign? lol

I am going to have Matt Nelson look at it again. He felt that it wasn't trimmed, but that the top to bottom centering was different as the book was the same size as the regulars.

Signatures are still like taking scissors to a book to many collectors today, but the difference with your book is that it's already restored, which sorta means the scissors have already been taken to it as far as many collectors are concerned. Getting the book signed can help to mitigate the stigma of the restoration and could increase the value.

Matt Nelson certainly knows the height of the book is no indication of a trim and is VERY loosely circumstantial as evidence of a trim, although it can be a general indicator to look for more concrete evidence, so he must have had further thoughts beyond that. Widths and heights of books have always varied a bit off the press, but even if they didn't, trimming usually doesn't decrease the height anyway; more common is that people trim the cover only, particularly on an early Silver Marvel book like Spidey #1 where almost every single copy has "overflash" on the top and bottom where the cover is bigger than the book.

GPA is showing that most people are paying around $5000-$6000 for unrestored copies of Spidey #1 in 6.0. The value of restored comics fluctuates widely...if it were mine, I'd hope for $3000-$4000 but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't move at that level. If unmotivated to sell, I'd let it sit indefinitely at that price level, but if I were motivated, I'd consider the $2000 to $3000 range. The only restored 6.0 in GPA is a $2300 sale in 2005.

So this is the new way to ask for GPA without being lambasted? hm

It is! Just ask for market value, and the helpful people around here will think "oh I'll check GPA!" on your behalf. :devil: In this case I shared it because I'm curious myself about market values of restored key books, so it was useful to me to look it up...otherwise, I wouldn't have shared a price and would have been posting a lambast myself. (tsk)

FF,

Thank you for your response. I will be looking for the 2 to 3K when I eventually sell it. Once I do get it back this week I will get in contact with Matt and see if he can arm wrestle the grader at CGC. : )

I certainly put more credence in Matt's opinion than a junior grader at CGC.

Regarding the proper ettiquette of the boards. I didn't see anything about asking for an opinion of value. If that is a rule, can you kindly point out the paragraph?

It seems to me that asking what people felt of a value of a book would be a big part of a forum like this. Why on earth would someone get lambasted?

It seems to me that asking what people felt of a value of a book would be a big part of a forum like this. Why on earth would someone get lambasted?

Because a lot of people pay $9.99 for that exact information, and another lot of people who don't pay $9.99 a month ask for it.

People who ask for GPA data often get sheepbasted because it is a paid service and the owner of GPA is a well-respected board member. I usually just click away from those threads.

I don't think your question should offend anyone. You just asked for opinions on the value of a comic.

FF,

Thank you for your response. I will be looking for the 2 to 3K when I eventually sell it. Once I do get it back this week I will get in contact with Matt and see if he can arm wrestle the grader at CGC. : )

Regarding the proper ettiquette of the boards. I didn't see anything about asking for an opinion of value. If that is a rule, can you kindly point out the paragraph?

Hey Scooter, a few questions and observations.

Did the CGC rep at the Wonder Con table say he thought it was trimmed when he looked at it, or did the grading staff at Sarasota peg it as Trimmed when it was graded/slabbed? In other words do the slabbed notes say CT and Trimmed when you call for, or look them up?..or is that just what you were told that day at Wonder Con at the CGC table?

Because while Matt and CGC may differ in opinion about if the edge was trimmed or not.(scary as it may be, it can sometimes come down to a judgement call) Your book was graded by 2 people and then passed on to be finalized (by Haspel most likely).

So it isn't "Matts word against a Juinor grader at CGC", it is more a case of Matt seeing something and the graders at CGC seeing another. Maybe even being in disagreement themselves.

Regardless, if the book is already slabbed. I would leave it that way and not mess entertaining a possible Sig Series. Let the new owner deal with the added cost and hassle of that... if that is their bag. You could turn away dozens of potential buyers because Stan scribbled his name accross the cover.

Put it up for sale in a large venue, and depending on the week/month/year it will sell for where the market is at that current week/month/year. Prices can fluctuate greatly depending on bidding wars, how your copy presents for its grade, PQ, how many copies are for sale etc..etc..

While you may have unfortunately been burned by undisclosed resto in 82, I imagine you can still turn a tidy profit.

Ze-man,

The CGC rep at Wondercon mentioned nothing about trimming. He only looked at it for a minute, so the trimming wasn't noticed until the book was being graded in Fla.

I called CGC yesterday to see if the book was done being graded and being shipped back to me. I asked the rep on the phone if he could give me the grade. He told me App 6.0 with C/T and trimmed and that the restoration was (A) amateur.

When Matt Nelson proscanned it his notes on the order sheet was C/T FC, APP 6.0 Slt (P). So Matt and CGC view 2 things differently, 1) trimming and 2) restoration A and P.

I will inquire with Matt again once I get the book back, but really what am I going to do? I'm going to take it in the shorts and sell it for the most I can get for it. I agree about not getting it signed. Although an option, I don't feel like chasing Stan Lee down for 6 months to a year.

I do plan on putting it up for sale on Comic Link and hoping for the best.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and questions. I'm new to the forum and still finding my way around.

I will stay positive. It's just a good thing I bought the book in 1982 for a 1982 price.

Regards,

Scott

FF,

Hey Scooter, a few questions and observations.

Did the CGC rep at the Wonder Con table say he thought it was trimmed when he looked at it, or did the grading staff at Sarasota peg it as Trimmed when it was graded/slabbed? In other words do the slabbed notes say CT and Trimmed when you call for, or look them up?..or is that just what you were told that day at Wonder Con at the CGC table?

Because while Matt and CGC may differ in opinion about if the edge was trimmed or not.(scary as it may be, it can sometimes come down to a judgement call) Your book was graded by 2 people and then passed on to be finalized (by Haspel most likely).

So it isn't "Matts word against a Juinor grader at CGC", it is more a case of Matt seeing something and the graders at CGC seeing another. Maybe even being in disagreement themselves.

In CGC's early years, the restoration check wasn't done by the graders, it was done separately by Chris Friesan, a restoration expert, or by Steve Borock (Mark Haspel now). I'm sure by this point someone else is backing Friesan up--Paul Litch is last I heard as Friesan trained him on restoration detection for years--and I can't say for sure the restoration check is still separate, but I have no reason to believe it isn't.

In my experience, CGC doesn't call something a trim without explicit evidence...but lacking evidence, they will let books pass through as untrimmed that might actually have been trimmed because they have no explicit evidence to be sure, or they'll just miss the trim, as they're extremely difficult--or sometimes impossible--to detect. I can definitely say that there's no way Friesan or Litch would have called your book trimmed simply due to a perceived lack of art at the top or bottom due to a printing cut that was too high or too low--they saw something else to think it was trimmed. Could be the pattern or angle of the cut, could be the coloration of the edges being different than the rest of the page.