• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of a restored 6.0 CGC ASM#1

62 posts in this topic

The CGC rep at Wondercon mentioned nothing about trimming. He only looked at it for a minute, so the trimming wasn't noticed until the book was being graded in Fla.

Unfortunately that's to be expected. Only a handful of people at CGC can reliably detect restoration, and even if the rep you talked with had been one of them, they likely would have looked at grade and not minor restoration. The current employees that CGC advertises as "restoration detection experts" on their web site are Mark Haspel, Chris Friesan, and Paul Litch. I think five years ago they were touting Paul Litch as a "junior" restoration detection expert, although I might be remembering that wrong.

FF,

Points well taken. I will also note that Matt only observed the book for maybe 5 minutes. I'm certain that the guys at CGC looked at it a lot longer than that when they were grading it.

A new question for the forum. Would it be worth pumping up my blood pressure and contacting the dealer that sold this to me 28 years ago? I see he is still in the industry. Not that he'd do anything, but to just let him know? What kills me is that in his ebay shop, he has 100 pct approval. Perhaps he doesn't alter books these days : )

Scott

In CGC's early years, the restoration check wasn't done by the graders, it was done separately by Chris Friesan, a restoration expert. I'm sure by this point someone else is backing him up--Paul Litch is last I heard as Friesan trained him on restoration detection for years--and I can't say for sure the restoration check is still separate, but I have no reason to believe it isn't.

You are of course correct. Friesan is now ,and has always been their main resto checker dood person. With Paul and others learning along the way.

I was just not sure if Scott was aware of the CGC grading process based on him being new to the scene , and his "juinor CGC grader "comment.

But that is what threads like this are for, to help a guy figure things out if possible and to let those of us who pretend to know prattle on! :blahblah:

FF,

Points well taken. I will also note that Matt only observed the book for maybe 5 minutes. I'm certain that the guys at CGC looked at it a lot longer than that when they were grading it.

A new question for the forum. Would it be worth pumping up my blood pressure and contacting the dealer that sold this to me 28 years ago? I see he is still in the industry. Not that he'd do anything, but to just let him know? What kills me is that in his ebay shop, he has 100 pct approval. Perhaps he doesn't alter books these days : )

Scott

I do not see ther harm in writing him about it. Not that he is expected or bound to do anything about it after all these years. But you never know.

You of course are obligated by unwritten Board rules to tell us who it was though. :D

Ze-Man,

I would love to tell you who it is. But I think I will contact him and give him a chance to explain himself. If he is snide or just doesn't respond, I will post the little fairies name.

Scott

(p.s. that last part is a tiny clue)

Ze-man,

My junior grader comment was just sarcasm. I would have never taken my books to be graded if I thought they were inexperienced.

Scott

No worries, sometimes it's hard to know when someone is being sarcastic around here unless you know them. No insult intended by my comment.

Later, and good luck with the sale.

I would love to tell you who it is. But I think I will contact him and give him a chance to explain himself. If he is snide or just doesn't respond, I will post the little fairies name.

:olol

Now who has a name like a fairy... hm

Also be careful not to smear the guy without being somewhat sure he sold you a book he definitely knew was restored. It could easily be that whoever sold you the book isn't the one who restored it...most key comics get flipped multiple times and it could have been sold to him already restored. And most dealers can barely grade, much less detect restoration.

It's just a good thing I bought the book in 1982 for a 1982 price.

Regards,

Scott

yowza...1982, I think you can write to the dealer but I don't expect much will happen. Heck, I can't even get a refund of a restored book 90 days later from an Ebay seller. As a few have mentioned, we have all been down this road at least once, and most unfortunately for many, more than once so it is sad but unavoidable for most of us years ago.

Hopefully, we can all learn from it and avoid repeating the mistakes and teach some noobs on how to avoid it in the future.

Etanick,

Yea, I was lucky on all my other purchases. I paid very careful attention in inspecting all books before I purchased them. Unfortunately the ASM was bought through an auction and I was in California and the establishment that I bought it from was on the east coast. I did inspect it after I saw it, but at the time. I didn't see anything "questionable" but I wasn't an expert on restoration detection either.

Thank goodness there is a CGC out there now. Buyers are protected alot more now. I'm sure there are still instances of books getting "missed" on restoration now too, but the odds are much better in a buyers' favor now.

Scott

Fantastic Thor, Silver and Torch,

Thank you for your responses. Since I have been "out of the loop" for 20 years or so from collecting, my second question isn't at restored book a restored book? Aren't values for a restored 6.0 universal, whether it be color touch, trimming, etc?

I just saw an apparent 6.0 on CGC with a list of 6K and a bid of 3K?

Thank you again for your courteous replies.

Scott

Take all bids on any site with a grain of salt. Sellers sometimes shill their books. :headbang: I would think GPA is a bit more accurate.

I think I will contact him and give him a chance to explain himself.

There's the real possibility the seller did not know at the time of sale. Frankly, in 1982, thorough restoration checks -- especially for tough to detect trimming -- was on almost no one's radar. Back then, it was "just a little dot of marker" or "a little glue." Unless it was a total chop cut, no one would even think about trimming. It just wasn't the issue it is today.

There's the real possibility the seller did not know at the time of sale. Frankly, in 1982, thorough restoration checks -- especially for tough to detect trimming -- was on almost no one's radar. Back then, it was "just a little dot of marker" or "a little glue." Unless it was a total chop cut, no one would even think about trimming. It just wasn't the issue it is today.

I agree. Given the historical context, it probably wasn't an "issue".

Nor did it have the same impact on $$$ :grin:

Nor did it have the same impact on $$$ :grin:

Tell me about it. I distinctly recall conversations with dealers in the 80s and even into the early 90s.

Me: "Hey this FF 24 has some ink on it."

Dealer: "Let me look at that. Oh yeah... a few dots on the spine.. I can take $10 off the price for that"

Me: "Sounds good, Sold."

lol