• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake WINGS #67 Produced For 1987 Spielberg Film

20 posts in this topic

Not actually Golden Age but of Golden Age interest.

Mock-up/fake WINGS #67 produced by D.C. Comics as set prop for 1987 Steven Spielberg film EMPIRE OF THE SUN, starring John Malkovich and Christian (Batman) Bales.

Original art for front cover. Inside is guts of Adventures Of Superman #432. In the middle of that are added four pages of original art in crude Golden Age style for "ACK-ACK ANDY And BINGO." Anyone else seen a copy of this rare comic from D.C. (the company that published ACTION #1)?

96476.jpg.ee9c9d68d53c7adfd8ed8cc2a83b1f2f.jpg

Was it offered for sale? In DC's possession?

This copy came from D.C. Editor Bob Rozakis. He awarded it to a reader who won one of his "29 Point Trivia" contests. I got the comic from that reader. It came with a handwritten note by Rozakis on D.C. stationery - "Here's another 29 Point Trivia prize - a comic we produced for the movie 'Empire Of The Sun.'"

This copy came from D.C. Editor Bob Rozakis. He awarded it to a reader who won one of his "29 Point Trivia" contests. I got the comic from that reader. It came with a handwritten note by Rozakis on D.C. stationery - "Here's another 29 Point Trivia prize - a comic we produced for the movie 'Empire Of The Sun.'"

Wow you personally own that know? Cool!

That book is awesome. Critics were not kind to it, but the movie is one of my all-time favorites. Visually astonishing with great actors and a good story.

I agree with you. It was one of my favorites too. (thumbs u

Wow you personally own that know? Cool!

Indeed! (thumbs u

Did it show up in the movie? - I don't remember.

Just viewed this movie again this weekend. As several have commented, it is vastly underrated - a fantastic timeless film.

This comic prop does indeed show up several times. Got a couple of screenshots.

First, before the Japanese attack, Jamie/Jim reads it in the back of the car as his Chinese driver and maid drive him home from school.

Second, after the Japanese attack and Jim is separated from his parents, it shows up the first time he meets John Malkovich's character Basie. Basie searches Jim and pulls the comic from his pocket.

103015.jpg.d3e93be3cc41ca24f48866d9e3e5aafb.jpg

103016.jpg.805135fa62bd2234742c40515cb5cd3e.jpg

103017.jpg.3a61ff1e979d02b3ec75765f73a79631.jpg

That book is awesome. Critics were not kind to it, but the movie is one of my all-time favorites. Visually astonishing with great actors and a good story.

It's absolutely one of my favorite Spielberg movies. (thumbs u

I didn't even realize Jim was played by Christian Bale. doh!

It's absolutely one of my favorite Spielberg movies. (thumbs u

I didn't even realize Jim was played by Christian Bale. doh!

I believe it's his first movie

I stumbled upon a copy of this comic today. It is in VF condition, and is exactly as described -- Wings Comics 67 Mar 10c on cover, with inside book being Adventures of Superman 432 + additional pages containing a short fake Golden Age war story. The artist is not really trying to emulate Golden Age war art per se, but keeps it simple and clean. It looks like Tommy Lee Edwards. That's just a guess. I don't know who the artist for the cover and four additional pages might be.

The back cover, unlike the cover of the comics shown in the screen capture from EMPIRE OF THE SUN, is a modern cover -- Chips Ahoy cookies ad.

There is nothing inside the book that indicates that it's a special print run. The inside front cover is a ad for M&M candy; the inside back cover is a DC house ad for subscription service.

I have no idea what to do with this book. The ONLY reference I found acknowledging the existence of this book was from a Google search that turned up this thread on the Collectors Society Message Boards, from 2009.

Please advise! Thank you.

Mickey

This copy came from D.C. Editor Bob Rozakis. He awarded it to a reader who won one of his "29 Point Trivia" contests

I have no idea what to do with this book. The ONLY reference I found acknowledging the existence of this book was from a Google search that turned up this thread on the Collectors Society Message Boards, from 2009.

Please advise! Thank you.

Bob Rozakis blogs about various subjects including comics here:

http://bobrozakis.blogspot.com/

(edit - and facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/bob.rozakis?fref=ts )

Perhaps he'd be able to explain the details of this comic further.