• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Trivia Question...to which I don't know the answer.

8 posts in this topic

Winner gets me coming over to their house to wax their No-Prize.

One of the key features of the Marvel Universe is that it's set on "real" Earth. The heroes don't hang out in Metropolis or Gotham City, they're New Yorkers. Some even live in specific neighborhoods (Dr. Strange lives in Greenwich Village, for example).

In what Silver Age Marvel book was this concept introduced? In other words, what issue (FF #1 or later) makes the first reference to New York City, thereby establishing the "reality" of the Marvel Universe?

Good point, but because BM quickly established Gotham City as his home base, and Superman Metropolis (by way of Smallville), and the Flash (was it) Central City, and GL Harbor City (if I'm remembering right), the GA DC universe existed in some weird, sanitized subreality.

The fact that SA Marvel stories were pegged in recognizable reality, which helped enhance the (for the time) gritty nature of the stories. Iron Man's first story was set in Vietnam, even. Granted, it was the John Wayne "Green Berets" version of Vietnam, but had he been a DC character at the same time, the first panel caption would have read "Somewhere in Asia, behind the Iron Curtain..."

Didn't Spidey attend Mid-Town High? Not exactly real world sort of thing there. If he had attended Forest Hills High,like he should have-his classmates would have

included Simon and Garfunkel,and two of the original Ramones!

Still looking for ESU