• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Ebay Store is Officially closed......

33 posts in this topic

I shut it all down. After 12 years buying and selling on ebay I closed down the old store. The new fee structure has put me out of business for good. I used to think they (ebay) were great, now I know for certain they really do suck! Store listing fees rose from 6 cents to 20 cents, too much of a price increase for me to handle. I could keep my little store open for $20.00 a month. The new prices: $55.00.

Has anyone else pulled their listings because of the fee hikes?

I shut it all down. After 12 years buying and selling on ebay I closed down the old store. The new fee structure has put me out of business for good. I used to think they (ebay) was great, now I know for certain they really do suck! Store listing fees rose from 6 cents to 20 cents, too much of a price increase for me to handle. I could keep my little store open for $20.00 a month. The new prices: $55.00.

Has anyone else pulled their listings because of the fee hikes?

I see a lot of people pulling thier comic post 1980 listings not really because of fee hikes but because of 1980 and up comics are not really selling well, how can anybody really make money on them on Ebay? Other then a few CGC 9.8`s, putting runs together or ASM/X-men/Batman/Walking Dead from that era there is not much interest, you have to practically give them away for anybody to even look at that stuff, then you have to worry about getting negatives if the books show up in 5 days instead of 4 or if you graded a vg+ instead of vg-. Looks like hardcover comic books editions and comic keys are the way to go now.

By the time you pay for listing the item, then ebay take their wedge of the final price, then paypal take their cut, you are not left with much of a profit, unless it is a big money item, i don't sell as much as i used to because of this, and as comicconnoisseur says, you practically end up giving books away in some cases.

Bunky ceased ebay about 8 months ago, the RE Listing Fees over and over agin to keep relisting unsold books kelled us.

Certainly does not make sense to do that, unless you can come up with a 90% sell through,

I think for higher priced items, like 100 or so, could still make sense to do ebay,

shame we can't open a store here on the boards. I would browse through peoples stores for some issues I need. We all put nice stuff in our sale threads but if it doesn't move after a day or two the threads about dead.

I would even pay to be able to open my own, maybe a preferred membership option just thinking out loud

>>shame we can't open a store here on the boards. I would browse through peoples stores for some issues I need. We all put nice stuff in our sale threads but if it doesn't move after a day or two the threads about dead.

I would even pay to be able to open my own, maybe a preferred membership option just thinking out loud<<

I was just thinking the same thing...

I've been doing work to revamp my online auction.store venture. I was considering just opening my own online store and leaving it at that. Perhaps if some interest could get generated and I could find a person or two with some PHP skills, I'd be willing to give this community sellers idea a shot.

I have a server and the software is set to go. Any interest? (shrug)

I could keep my little store open for $20.00 a month. The new prices: $55.00.

More than doubled? :o That's ridiculous.

I kept 200 items in the store. The cost to renew them was 3 cents a month. Basically $6.00 plus the cost of the store, total was around $20.00. The basic store cost increased to $15.95, I think, and 20 cents an item. 3 cents to 20 cents is a huge price increase.

I kept 200 items in the store. The cost to renew them was 3 cents a month. Basically $6.00 plus the cost of the store, total was around $20.00. The basic store cost increased to $15.95, I think, and 20 cents an item. 3 cents to 20 cents is a huge price increase.

Yep the new math is:

Basic Store $15.95/mo plus 20c/item/mo

Upgraded Store $49.95/mo plus 3c/item/mo.

The break point is 200 items, at which point it is cheaper to get the upgraded store.

Yep the new math is:

Basic Store $15.95/mo plus 20c/item/mo

Upgraded Store $49.95/mo plus 3c/item/mo.

The break point is 200 items, at which point it is cheaper to get the upgraded store.

We have this problem at work. These sit around the table and come up with pricing designed to make more money. In many cases the "new" pricing is not favorable to the end user, the customer, so they cancel their accounts. A few months later when the numbers come in, and profits are down, they all look stupid.

While it is a break even deal at 200 items and $50.00 a month, I cannot afford it. No matter how they show me the final numbers my store price increased from $20.00 to $50.00.

Imagine of they try that at Burger King tomorrow? Today's 1.00 item is now 2.50.... Customers will walk and walk away is what I did. I will list a few auctions at the standard 35 cent listing price, even with my store I ran some regular auctions, but they lost my $20.00 a month and all the final value and paypal fees associated with those transactions. I bet they lost $50.00 a month from me or more. That may not seem like much money to some of you but to ebay the lost revenues will eventually hit the balance sheet.

I hear you. The even money point is actually $55.95 - far more than small/hobby sellers are accustomed to paying. :(

You wonder at what point eBay will realize they can turn the screws no further. (shrug)

Imagine of they try that at Burger King tomorrow? Today's 1.00 item is now 2.50.... Customers will walk and walk away is what I did. I will list a few auctions at the standard 35 cent listing price, even with my store I ran some regular auctions, but they lost my $20.00 a month and all the final value and paypal fees associated with those transactions. I bet they lost $50.00 a month from me or more. That may not seem like much money to some of you but to ebay the lost revenues will eventually hit the balance sheet.

eBay is a little more cunning and insidious than that.

They cut the burger price to 75c.... bun optional at 10c. Ketchup 10c, pickle 10c, relish 10c. Then a napkin will be 2c, tray 2c etc etc

First thing, EBay no longer has Stores - they got rid of them in April and all you have left is a $15 Listing Fee Discount Plan (or more $$$ for plans with greater discounts), *not* a Store.

It works for some items, as traffic is MUCH higher with this discounting format, but slow-selling stuff is DOA and instead of 3-cents a month, you get jacked for 20-cents. If you previously listed hot items in your Store to save listing fees, the 20-cent standard BIN format may actually yield more money for you.

But it really doesn't work for anything under $20 or something that would be expected to sit several months before finally selling. Or about 99% of what is currently selling on EBay.

I gave it a few weeks and sold nothing. I used to sell more with the old store format. I ran a few auctions to drive traffic to the store, I had a few offers now and then, it worked for me. Now, at a $56.00 a month deal.... I am out.