• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Costume Spider-man in Marvel Fanfare question

13 posts in this topic

1. What the hell was marvel fanfare all about?

2. if the series did consist of all new stories and not reprints like marvel tales, what issue was first black costume spider-man in?

3. what issue did series end and year?

Thanks for any replies-John

I don't think Spidey was in all of the issues. Just hit and miss.

Not sure when was the first black costume in this series.

The last issue was #60 Jan 1992

Marvel Fanfare featured different Marvel Super Heroes in either solo or team up stories. Among the the ones featured, were Iron Man, Captain America, X-Men, Hulk....well you get the idea. Even had somebody that looked kinda' like BlackHawk (from DC). Several of the stories lasted a few issues. Even featured a Weird World story for a few issues.

I recently looked at the publication figures, and I think around issue 12 - the average print run was just a little over 100,000 which was pretty pathetic considering it was an early 80's comic.

All I can tell you is I did quickly look through the first 33 issues (don't have the complete set) and there was no Black Spiderman costume on the cover.

Fanfare,was,I believe, the first Marvel monthly that was on Baxter paper. It was also a direct sales only comic.As a good deal of Marvels sales were from newstands,the fact that it sod over 100,000 copies was fairly remarkable.

It featured top artist doing stories of characters tey were not associated with.Barry Smith doing Thing,Perez doing the Black Widow,ect. It devolved fairly quickly into just another magazine,but its debut was quite well recieved.

At the time,I belive regular comics were still 60 cents but they may have been 75 cents. Fanfare was $1.25

Simple math- ten issues sold at 60 cents equals $3.00 in profit. Five issues sold at $1.25 equals $3.13. Less work,mo' money. Comic Guys dream.

Marvel Fanfare was pretty hit and miss. Sometimes the stories and artwork were dynamite, unfortunately most of the time it was mediocre at best. Some of the highlights I recall were the X-Men/Spidey stories in the first few issues, Perez doing the Black Widow, Barry Smith's Thing/Human Torch story in #15, Frank Miller's Captain America in #18, a Charles Vess Warriors Three story in the 30's somewhere and maybe a few other highlights that escape me at the moment. It didn't have enough momentum and went downhill fast toward the end

Still there was lots of great reading and the issues are cheap smile.gif

Dave H