• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You did what? A pedigree love story.

241 posts in this topic

Picture it, a typical September day in 2009. Feeling a little bored at the end of the day, I decided to peruse GPA and do a little research. So, I'm flipping through the X-men listings and come across the following listing:

X-Men #8 ( 8.0 ) Northland Pedigree (1) $268 (1) $268 $268 Aug-2009

"When did that sell and how did I miss it?", was the first thing that went through my mind. So, I checked Pedigree, Comic Link, Metropolis, Comic Connect and even eBay, nothing. Think that was odd, I decided to PM George and ask him from where the sale originated. He was kind enough to let me know that the sale came from eBay and even provided a link.

It became immediately clear as to why I missed the auction. There was no mention of the Northland pedigree in the title or in the description, but there it was, big as life in the auction photographs:

northlandxmen8fc.jpg

northlandxmen8bc.jpg

Since about a month had passed, I was less than optimistic about being able to acquire the book. I e-mailed the eBay seller and patient waited for a response. It didn't arrive.

"If I could only find out the identity of the buyer, then I could send them an e-mail," I thought to myself. So, using crafty eBay tricks taught to me by the resident CGC message board Kung Fu Panada (greggy, for those who don't know) I was able to discern the purchaser and send them an e-mail.

I waited as patiently for a response as joeypost waits for CGC to grade books.

Since about a month had passed, I was less than optimistic about being able to acquire the book. I e-mailed the eBay seller and patient waited for a response. It didn't arrive.

"If I could only find out the identity of the buyer, then I could send them an e-mail," I thought to myself. So, using crafty eBay tricks taught to me by the resident CGC message board Kung Fu Panada (greggy, for those who don't know) I was able to discern the purchaser and send them an e-mail.

:mad:

Success! I receive an e-mail from the person who won the auction.

I explain that I am particularly fond of Northland pedigree X-Men books and ask if they would be interested in flipping the book for a small but worthwhile profit. To my delight, the seller says, "Yes." But wait for it... "There is only one catch. I have cracked the book out and thrown away both the label and the CGC case."

"You did what," was my response.

They explained that they thought the book was much nicer than the given grade and cracked it out and thrown away the label and the slab. "Oh, great," I thought, "another pedigree flushed down the toilet."

Anyway, we continued to exchange e-mails and I decided that label or no label, it was still a Northland and I asked for front and back cover scans to prove that it was the same book.

xmen8nothlandfc.jpg

xmen8nothlandbcarrow.jpg

:mad:

:foryou:

I just told Harshen to push the Joeypost books back another week. He needs to detox. :baiting: