• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Metropolis Market Report & more.....

28 posts in this topic

Market Report

Read Metropolis COO Vincent Zurzolo’s insights and review of the current state of the hobby. The latest Metropolis Market Report has been posted at: http://pages.tias.com/2779/InventoryPage/1689625/1.html

Feature of the Month

Do you want to learn more about romance comics? Read about the history of Romance Comics in the feature section at: http://metropoliscomics.com/

Did you miss the last feature of the month? View over a dozen articles about the history of comics at: http://www.metropoliscomics.com/archivemaster.html

In the Press

Information is power! Read over two dozen articles about comics published in national newspapers and websites at:

http://www.tias.com/stores/metropolis/press.html

Feature Gallery

View over 300 actual scans of vintage comics for sale at:

http://pages.metropoliscomics.com/365/InventoryPage/1662332/1.html

The Comic Zone

Want more information about the hobby? Check out “The Comic Zone” online radio show hosted by Metropolis COO Vincent Zurzolo. If you missed last week’s show, you missed a great one including an interview with sculptor Randy Bowen and a tribute to the life of DC editor Julie Schwartz. Listen to the archive at:

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=1130

2004 is starting off where 2003 left off and then some. Sales on Golden Age keys in all grades, restored and unrestored, are at an all time high....

This is the first line of Vincents new market report. So I guess reports of the PLOD killing restored books hasnt affected Metopolis at all (assuming Metro sold slabbed restored books. Maybe th esolution is ti just break them out. Or consogn them to Metro who seems to have little problem moving them..)

2004 is starting off where 2003 left off and then some. Sales on Golden Age keys in all grades, restored and unrestored, are at an all time high....

This is the first line of Vincents new market report.

Actually, the report opens with:

"Dear Collectors,

How about that Super Bowl! What a great game…what a strange half time show…"

But don't worry fan-boys, that's the extent of the non-comic book market report this time 'round, which is a far cry from what followed these great opening lines of the previous three "market" reports:

Dear Collectors,

During my childhood I received so many wonderful gifts for Christmas. I am very grateful for everything my parents and family gave me over the years...

Dear Comic Lovers,

I was not around for much of November as my wife and I traveled to the Orient. We visited Tokyo for a few days and then spent about 2 1/2 weeks in Thailand...

Dear Valued Collectors,

I have just boarded the plane, albeit two hours late, and am looking forward to getting back to the Big Apple. Lin, Ed and I are weary after spending three days at the first Las Vegas Comic Convention. The fun started when we touched down Thursday...

(Sorry man, but your market reports frequently read a whole lot more like Christmas letters or "Weekend with Vinnie" political/ethical/moral position papers than they do "Comic Book Market" reports. However, I'm sure you're well aware of that... confused-smiley-013.gif)

Critics of my market reports-

I totally understand that some you would like it to be more comics and less personal but I do get a lot of positive feedback from collectors who would like to know a little more about the person they are doing business with.

If any of you have any questions about the market that I don't touch upon in my market reports please email the questions to me at vz@metropoliscomics.com

One of the forumites above mentioned something about the restored market-it is doing better than it was a year or so ago. In my opinion this is a good sign for the entire market. Remember when you are buying a restored book to find out exactly what has been done to the book as there is a tremendous difference in market perception between a book that has been cleaned and pressed and a book that has been color touched, trimmed and had pieces replaced.

For those of you out there who really don't want to know anything about my vacations or holidays you can always skip the paragraph- they usually are in the beginning of my market reports- and move onto the comic sections.

Not a problem, as long as you don't decide to start a collection of Pacific Island Fertility Totems and start adding 2,500 words on your latest acquisitions with every report, ala you know who! thumbsup2.gif27_laughing.gif

I do not read you know whos market report but I do like his native american pottery collection. I started collecting Zuni fetishes recently and think Native American art is truly beautiful. I promise I will not go on about them in my market reports at all.

V

PS- I like Chuck and have had only good dealings with him. Very laid back and mellow, knows what he is all about.

I know this is a loaded question.

I am not a farmer as I live in the Downtown Brooklyn but my wife and I are members of the oldest Coop in the country. To shop at the Coop you must be a member, to be a member you must work 2 3/4 hours a month at the Coop. I work in receiving-basically shelving prodice and other supermarket products. The advantage of shopping at the Coop are several-

1. 90% of the produce is organic.

2. A lot of the produce is grown on local farms- so you are supporting your community.

3. There are recycling drives every two weeks in which you can bring items that the city doesn't recycle.

4. You feel like part of a community.

5 From an economic standpoint it makes a lot of sense- products are only marked up 20% over cost- most supermarkets mark items up at least 50% and for organic produce it is even more. They are able to do this because 80% of the workforce are members (in other words free).

I hope I didn't give more info than you wanted- awww who am I kidding I am really into the Coop- it is an awesome idea. i am very granola crunchy for a comic dealer in NYC...

V

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Sounds like a cool set up, Vincent. I don't know of anything like that out here (SF Bay Area), but it would be great if there were such a thing. As it stands, I have to go to a store called "Whole Foods" (also known as "Whole Paycheck" to most of the locals who shop there) for a good selection of organic produce. It's great that you've got a place like that where you can get good stuff on the cheap, and have a good time participating in the place as well. thumbsup2.gif

I know this is a loaded question.

I am not a farmer as I live in the Downtown Brooklyn but my wife and I are members of the oldest Coop in the country. To shop at the Coop you must be a member, to be a member you must work 2 3/4 hours a month at the Coop. I work in receiving-basically shelving prodice and other supermarket products. The advantage of shopping at the Coop are several-

1. 90% of the produce is organic.

2. A lot of the produce is grown on local farms- so you are supporting your community.

3. There are recycling drives every two weeks in which you can bring items that the city doesn't recycle.

4. You feel like part of a community.

5 From an economic standpoint it makes a lot of sense- products are only marked up 20% over cost- most supermarkets mark items up at least 50% and for organic produce it is even more. They are able to do this because 80% of the workforce are members (in other words free).

I hope I didn't give more info than you wanted- awww who am I kidding I am really into the Coop- it is an awesome idea. i am very granola crunchy for a comic dealer in NYC...

V

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Sounds like a cool set up, Vincent. I don't know of anything like that out here (SF Bay Area), but it would be great if there were such a thing. As it stands, I have to go to a store called "Whole Foods" (also known as "Whole Paycheck" to most of the locals who shop there) for a good selection of organic produce. It's great that you've got a place like that where you can get good stuff on the cheap, and have a good time participating in the place as well. thumbsup2.gif

OT- Other Places to buy organic food in the Bay Area:

The Berkeley Bowl (in Berkeley obviously)

Trader Joe

Berkeley Natural Grocery

Monterey Market

Various farmer's markets

For bulk organics, Multiple Organics in Point Richmond. (They sell a lot of the raw organic nuts, oils, and sugars that go into already prepared organic products (like peanut butter, organic cashews, etc.) They're more of a distributor though.