• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is this a FR 1.0??

14 posts in this topic

Book could also have detatched/loose pages, or missing/ripped pieces inside. All defects are not apparent from the outside of a comic book. grin.gif

If I was bidding I would try top contact Heritage to obtain more extensive grading notes.

I was thinking maybe brittle pages, but since there is no chipping, I am wondering if that might not be true. It doesn't look from the scan like there's a spine split, and doesn't Heritage usually disclose something like that (or missing/loose pages, for that matter). There is also a lot of creasing on the cover, but a 1.0 seems a little harsh to me on this book. Also, unless the colors are scratched off, the book can still grade Good even with substantial creasing, right?

The pages are probably very brittle and the spine may have a fairly substantial split...also the cover does have quite a bit of color degradation and creasing.... confused-smiley-013.gif

From the cover scan it looks to me like it's about the right grade. Even without a clipped coupon or split spine.

Sure, no one defect that's noticeable is that bad. But, the volume of so many defects really lowers this one fast. If the spine is not split, it's right on the verge. I counted at least 20 creases on the front cover alone. And all with some color breaks.

Sure, I've seen worse looking comics graded 1.0, but I'd still put this one in the same group.

It still doesn't look as bad as the Amazing Spider-Man #1 GD- 1.8 in their next auction.

From the cover scan it looks to me like it's about the right grade. Even without a clipped coupon or split spine.

Sure, no one defect that's noticeable is that bad. But, the volume of so many defects really lowers this one fast. If the spine is not split, it's right on the verge. I counted at least 20 creases on the front cover alone. And all with some color breaks.

Sure, I've seen worse looking comics graded 1.0, but I'd still put this one in the same group.

Why is this book graded in FR 1.0? Maybe brittle pages? Maybe a non-story page missing? Certainly not from cover wear. Funny that Heritage doesn't say why it got such a low grade.

Link to ASM #6 FR 1.0

I would have to agree with the grade, it seems right on the money. The cover first had fading and then turned that yellow brown, multiple creases and color breaks, severely rounded corners, the right corner has insect or vermin damage ( it goes through the pages, the pages are tan or worse, and I would bet this it has a musty odor. The back speak for itself.

Well I'll throw myself up for ridicule but I don't see anything that would cause a Fair - except one thing - and I bet Aich is right on the money with this one: brittle pages. The f/b covers are just NOT displaying enough damage for a Fair. Sorry but they really aren't. Apologies but I don't see it. I beg your forgiveness but I really fail to ::THWACK - get ON with it!)

OK - as I was saying my money is on brittleness. The cover and glimpses of the inner pages, especially based on a Heritage scan, fairly screams brittle. So I go with brittle, hold the peanuts.

I totally agree with you. I figure it's gotta be brittle pages, because I have never seen such a nice cover on a Fair that didn't have brittle, stanky pages.

Well I'll throw myself up for ridicule but I don't see anything that would cause a Fair - except one thing - and I bet Aich is right on the money with this one: brittle pages. The f/b covers are just NOT displaying enough damage for a Fair. Sorry but they really aren't. Apologies but I don't see it. I beg your forgiveness but I really fail to ::THWACK - get ON with it!)

OK - as I was saying my money is on brittleness. The cover and glimpses of the inner pages, especially based on a Heritage scan, fairly screams brittle. So I go with brittle, hold the peanuts.

Maybe Pinup Page cut out has something to do with it

of course, the cut out pin up page has tons to do with it!!!! when combined with the books overall appearance - it probably all makes sense. i guess this is also the kind of book that could have gotten a "qualified" good/very good (assuming the pages aren't brittle) because of the missing page?!?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That was a late addition to the description. It wasn't there when I originally posted the link. And yes, that'll do it! Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe Pinup Page cut out has something to do with it