• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #5 CGC 9.6 Double Cover!

54 posts in this topic

Did you guys see this:

Brave & the Bold #28 9.4

cloud9.gif

shocked.gif Unbelievable. Never thought this book would come up in a public sale. I take back all my doom and gloom in another thread about Heritage.

yeah, i didn't think it would ever be offered publicly either. what were the odds ? - there is only one and you would think that the owner would either keep it a loooooonnnnggggg time or sell privately -

now Wes, who is the owner ?

Um I'm impressed, but the first cover does not look like a 9.0 - more like a 7.0 or is it just me?

I aggree,, even though the inner cover is I am sure nicer.. once again. is the age of a comic a factor in its grading?, and since there are almost never NM/M examples of these floating around , so when one comes close, they give it a bit of a nudge upward vs. what a newer book in same condition might grade, I dunno, either way I still want it!!..

Zeman

Yes it's on their site. They now have 20 pages of listings. If you can't put a spectacular catalogue together for NY then you might as well close down.

So true!! I am really looking forward to this auction! 893applaud-thumb.gif

DAM

Its actually IMO a pretty generous grade, compared to 9.4 Marvel keys. The corners are a bit rough and rounded.

VERY minor rounding...those corners don't look out of the 9.4 range to me. What kind of radius would you assign to that rounding? Doesn't look any greater than 1/32" to me, with no associated creasing that I could find.

Isnt 1/32" more than you generally see on Marvel key 9.4s?

And its not just one corner.

If those are the major defects, then this looks in line with the 9.4s I've seen from any age. I can't find a single crease on the entire book...the spine is incredible. The Overstreet Grading Guide definitely allows defects as minor as 1/32" in the 9.4 grade. I'm not even sure the lower right corner is rounded...it looks like the assembly of the book isn't 100% well aligned and that the back corners don't quite match up to the front corners, giving it a "rounded" kind of a look when each individual front or back corner might be fairly sharp. Tough to tell for certain in the scan.

Half of me hates to say this, but if those corners are all that's keeping this book from a 9.6, then since I can't spot any creasing, this looks like a good candidate for a pressing upgrade.

Half of me hates to say this, but if those corners are all that's keeping this book from a 9.6, then since I can't spot any creasing, this looks like a good candidate for a pressing upgrade.

Whatcha mean? You can't get rid of rounded corners by pressing...can you? confused-smiley-013.gif

Whatcha mean? You can't get rid of rounded corners by pressing...can you? confused-smiley-013.gif

Possibly not...it depends on whether the corners are folded/pressed in slightly or they're simply gone due to wear. I can't tell which it is...can anyone else? confused-smiley-013.gif I tend to think they're not gone due to wear since the rest of the book is so pristine.

So Rick, is this your B&B 28 that you sold to Metropolis?

Tim,

Thankfully, no. My stomach was actually getting queasy when I first clicked on the link. I would have literally threw-up if it was mine. But my copy...I mean Metro's...has a small date at the top (in light pencil). Whew........

In all modesty, I feel my copy is well within range of this one. Plus, has anyone else noticed the two "stains" right smack dab in the middle of the cover? They're faint, but they are there. Is it due to bad scanning (ghost imaging)...inside cover print due to transparancy...or *cringe* an actaual stain?

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Rick

have you guys looked closely at the B&B28??

Its actually IMO a pretty generous grade, compared to 9.4 Marvel keys. The corners are a bit rough and rounded. I dont know that buying the label on this one is the right way to go....

eerrrr, are you just trying to dissuade the competition??? i've always believed that the DC's got the tougher grades. in any event a stunning copy of a true classic with little competition. mine's about a 3.0 blush.gif my JLA's are real nice but the 3 B&B's are hurtin'.................... frown.gif

Um I'm impressed, but the first cover does not look like a 9.0 - more like a 7.0 or is it just me?

Totally agree, the first cover of that double-cover Bats 5 is not even close to a 9.0. 7.0 seems about right. from the general soiling to the spine creases, overall cover wear and corner chips, this is not close to 9.0. The back cover looks like a 6.0, tops. Too bad we'll never get to see the second (9.6) cover!

Tim,

Thankfully, no. My stomach was actually getting queasy when I first clicked on the link. I would have literally threw-up if it was mine. But my copy...I mean Metro's...has a small date at the top (in light pencil). Whew........

In all modesty, I feel my copy is well within range of this one. Plus, has anyone else noticed the two "stains" right smack dab in the middle of the cover? They're faint, but they are there. Is it due to bad scanning (ghost imaging)...inside cover print due to transparancy...or *cringe* an actaual stain?

Rick

theres only one 9.4 in the census and th e9.0 that sold on eBay last summer.

So I assume that means your high grade copy hasnt been graded yet, if this isnt it, right?

have you guys looked closely at the B&B28??

Its actually IMO a pretty generous grade, compared to 9.4 Marvel keys. The corners are a bit rough and rounded. I dont know that buying the label on this one is the right way to go....

eerrrr, are you just trying to dissuade the competition??? i've always believed that the DC's got the tougher grades. in any event a stunning copy of a true classic with little competition. mine's about a 3.0 blush.gif my JLA's are real nice but the 3 B&B's are hurtin'.................... frown.gif

Dont be so cynical!!

(youre not bidding though, right???)

I really think it looks as soft around the corners as other HG 28s Ive seen, and just not as super sharp as 9.4 Marvels have to be. (Ive got 9.0 Marvels that look similar...) And if CGC grades DCs tougher, I guess I dont really have a problem since DCs ARE rarer in HG on these "earlier than FF#1 SA key books". The back looks clean and tight.....

My thre BBs arent as nice as I wished they were. But my 28 wasnt too bad. I think 'Ill post it later tonight and see what you guys think... Maybe I dont need such a radical upgrade!! (Wouldnt that be nice...)

Tim,

Rick

theres only one 9.4 in the census and th e9.0 that sold on eBay last summer.

So I assume that means your high grade copy hasnt been graded yet, if this isnt it, right?

Or that it is one of the lower graded copies... devil.gif Just kidding Rick, we kid cause we love. You obviously have a good eye for raw books, as witnessed by your very nice 9.6s. Why don't you just ask Metropolis whether it ever got graded?

BTW, thanks to everyone for beating the B&B 28 down. I encourage EVERYONE on this forum to continue to pore over the scan with a magnifying glass and note EVERY DEFECT, no matter how minor, and broadcast it at the top of your lungs and on as many threads as possible. This book is clearly a 9.2 at best, so everyone looking for a 9.4 B&B 28 should pass on this one and wait until a TRUE 9.4 appears. Someone's got to protect all the spendthrift buy-the-label types out there!

okay.. here's the "super high-grade" BB28 I bought about 10 years ago that I said I was going to post. (God I hate scannong books...takes too long especially getting the file sizes small enough to post w/o losing all quality. I think I need some lessons!!)

Anyway, I think the front looks pretty good. Its got some very small and slight color breaks on the spine; not really folds, very light. Th etop has a littel overhang with some folding. Also, someone mentioned the two stains on the covers between GL and Aquaman - - those are actually Bob Cousy and Joe Louis' heads from the ad on the inside front cover!! They seem to only show up in scans...

The back will go up next. It has some problems at the top: small rips but no pieces out: thats just the scan.

396578-postBB28f2.jpg.2b4198a64db5693943e52636b26d7f8d.jpg