• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed

192 posts in this topic

As many of you know I recently began collecting Golden Age Captain America Comics. I sold off most of my run of Early Amazing Spider-Mans#1-#15 to Brent (Quality comics) to fund this adventure . Once I had money in hand I started looking here on the boards and on comiclink and ebay for Slabbed Captain America numbers I was looking for.

The main one I wanted was a Captain America #3 which I eventually purchased here on the boards. However, when I first started looking the #3 wasn't availble for sale. Therefore I was looking for another single diget Cap. I found a Cap #5 PGX graded 5.0 with LT-OW pages on ebay from a seller ebayid monsterscollectibles.com It had a buy it now price of alittle over 1900.00. However no where in the description did it say anything about money back if not satisfied.

So I politely sent him a message asking if he would guarntee that the book would not come back from CGC as restored . I went on to explain that I did not want a "Grade" guarntee but only a full refund of the purchase price if CGC deemed it to have Restro. Furthermore, I also said I would pay for the CGC and eat the cost of that and shipping as well if it was restored. I thanked him for his time answering this question.

Two days later I get a response and the seller told me that he would not guarntee that the book would not come back from CGC as restored. He also added, that he would only offer a 10 day return if I wasn't happy with the book and that he didnt have time to wait for CGC to grade the book. (Which I offered to send it express). Then he went on about why PGX is better than CGC .

So I kindly wrote him back and offered to send the book to CGC express service for faster grading. I pointed out that I was a member of CGC boards and I had heard some people having problems with PGX books being sent to CGC and comming back restored. I also offered him his full asking price if he would just guarntee the book wasn't restored as deemed by CGC. Also, I had found that he had a All Winners #4 that was PGX graded as well that I was interested in. So I offered to buy that book as well. That made the total potential sale over 2500.00 All I asked for was for a guarntee that neither book was restored in the amount of time it would take for him to ship it to me, Me ship it to CGC doing the express tier and them to ship it back to me.

Well after two more days. I recieve a message back from the guy saying I was basically not interested in the books and I was wasting his time because he already said I would only have 10 days to return the item. He wasn't going to guarntee anything past 10 days.

Upon reading this, I went to my LCBS and asked him if he could detect restoration on the books for me if I went ahead and bought them from monsterscollectibles. He said he would do a free resto check for me.

Well I went back home and sent the guy another message saying I could get a restro check done by my LCBS dealer. However, I was not going to pay the asking price but rather I would make him the best offer option instead.

Well I waited about a week and never heard anything back from him so I decided to go ahead and use the best offer option and put in a very reasonable bid on the Cap #5 it was only $100 less than his asking price. Well when I clicked to submit the bid. It said I was not allowed to put bids or best offers on any of this sellers auctions. Now mind you my ebay seller id is silver-agebuyer1975 and I have over 400 transactions with a perfect (100%) feedback and was a powerseller at the time. :makepoint:

Way to go monstercollectibles you just missed out on making $2300.00 from a buyer that was going to get your stuff doh!

In the long run it turned out ok though because since I didn't buy those two books from him. I had the money to buy the Captain America Comics #3 later.

However, I think monstercollectibles did not handle themselves in a professional manner. Based on my experince I wouldn't recommend monstercollectibles to anyone based on the attitude they gave me .What is your oppinions, Do you feel I have a legitimate grip or am I overreacting . It just seems :screwy: to treat a potential buyer who is willing to spend 2k+ with you like that. Was I being unreasonable in asking for a few more days to get the book graded by CGC.

I've had nothing but great transaction with him here in Florida,as i've bought several of his PGX books to re-sub to CGC,all with positive grade bumps.

I believe he too is a board member,but may not be very active.

I bought a CGC book from him a few years ago... smooth transaction with no problems. He's definitely a PGX supporter (it is splashed all over his auctions) and not the chattiest fellow in the world. I agree it was silly for him to 'ban' you, but I'm not completely shocked either.

Personally I think you are over-reacting a bit saying he is a bad seller, but would personally be a bit mad and not buy anything from the seller as the purchase you were going to do was quit large. He offers a 10 day return policy, which is fair, and I can understand him not wanting to change that, especially for ebay sales with all the that goes on.

Bruce

Why, in the name of gods grey earth, after that exchange would you still try to hit the BIN on these comics?

Mind you, he may have been a doosh for blocking you but after all those red flags flying and, more importantly, not knowing if the books were restored or not, you still decided to try to buy them anyway??????

I'd say blocking you was over reacting, however, the books are his. He can do with them as he pleases. He has no obligation to sell to you or anyone else he doesn't want to do business with.

I can see how this might have been frustrating, but just let it go and move on.

Bear in mind that having the books get resto checked means they are being cracked out of slabs. So if he guarantees no restoration then he risks getting back unslabbed books that could potentially be damaged in return shipping.

Where's the "STFU and move on" option? To paraphrase our British friends, Christonabike. Buy it from somebody else. doh!

+1

Why, in the name of gods grey earth, after that exchange would you still try to hit the BIN on these comics?

Mind you, he may have been a doosh for blocking you but after all those red flags flying and, more importantly, not knowing if the books were restored or not, you still decided to try to buy them anyway??????

+1

To play the devil's advocate, I would put some of the blame on Ebay for this seller's defensive stance. I'm just stating this base on experience due to all these new buyer protection policies that ultimately screws the sellers. It's practically happening on an every day basis where more buyers are aware of what they can get away with and abuse the new protection policy. Sellers are now more alert in detecting problem buyers before-hand and take the defensive approach to block them off before they can place a bid. They rather risk losing that sale then losing the item and money altogether. Yes, there is now a major HUGE loophole where buyers can get their money back and keep the item at the same time. It's utterly ridiculous that Ebay has not lifted a finger to fix this yet. I'm not saying you're a problem buyer, but sellers are now getting more paranoid. Don't be surprise to see more of this happening. John Donahue has single-handedly brought Ebay down to the slumps.

If i had PGX books, I would not have done what you requested either. He is using PGX to get the minimum amount of certification for the minimum price. He almost certainly knows that the resto check is the worst part of PGX's "service." Why would he expose himself to being out the grading fees and then not have a sale when/if it comes back restored?

Anyone using PGX on vintage has at least a chance of doing so precisely because they want the resto possibility to be decided by PGX and not CGC. Take from that what you will.

If i had PGX books, I would not have done what you requested either. He is using PGX to get the minimum amount of certification for the minimum price. He almost certainly knows that the resto check is the worst part of PGX's "service." Why would he expose himself to being out the grading fees and then not have a sale when/if it comes back restored?

Anyone using PGX on vintage has at least a chance of doing so precisely because they want the resto possibility to be decided by PGX and not CGC. Take from that what you will.

Good point. (thumbs u

Ditto.

After the nonsense he gave you, I would never reward the seller with a sale.... even if I knew it was unrestored at that point.

Its not unprofessional to not want to deal with an anal retentive collector who has a lot of demands.

If he wants to deal with it great...but he doesn't have to. All he wants to do is sell books.

So STFU and move on and quit smearing the names of Ebay sellers who don't do what you want them to do.

Its not unprofessional to not want to deal with an anal retentive collector who has a lot of demands.

If he wants to deal with it great...but he doesn't have to. All he wants to do is sell books.

So STFU and move on and quit smearing the names of Ebay sellers who don't do what you want them to do.

(worship)

I'd hardly call a guarantee that a book is not restored "anal retentive" or a "lot of demands." doh!

Here is the kind of policy all dealers should strive for:

HighGradeComics.com has ALWAYS had a NO time limit guarantee that your money would be refunded in the event a book comes back restored. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC graded books as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by HighGradeComics.com that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by HighGradeComics.com in the past. No if and or buts.

:applause: