• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closed

192 posts in this topic

Ok...

For starters,Ken clearly states in his listings that he offers a FULL 90 DAY REFUND if a book is PGX graded and de-slabbed and sent to CGC and found to have RESTO.So why would TREY ask for a 10 day guarantee :screwy:

Second,Ken has been so kind as to enlighten us with Treys actual first email,after Trey's follow-up emails as he didn't feel like dealing with him,over a grade dispute if the book came back a lower CGC grade as Trey eluded to.

Dear monsterscollectibles.com,

I am very interested in this book. However,since it is in a PGX holder I am alittle concerned as many Golden Age books that are PGX graded when submitted to CGC come back restored and or normally a point to a point and half lower. This topic has been discussed extensivly on the CGC boards which I am a member

Can you guarntee that the book will recieve a CGC blue label? Secondly I dont like to haggle over prices so what is the very best rock bottom price you are willing to accept for this book

Thank you for your time

Trey

- silver-agebuyer1975

and Ken's reply:

Hello, I Always guarantee that anything I sell in a Universal PGX holder will come back in a Universal CGC holder or I will refund, no problem. I am certain this book is unrestored. However, I could care less what CGC grades the book. If you are worried about what CGC's opinion of grade on this book is, then it's probably not the copy for you. You should probably wait for a copy that is already CGC graded. So, if you intend to buy the book, crack it and have it regraded by CGC – then argue value if it gets graded less in order to get a refund, let’s not go down that road.

I would sell the book for $1800 shipped if paid by check/MO.

Thanks

Ok...

For starters,Ken clearly states in his listings that he offers a FULL 90 DAY REFUND if a book is PGX graded and de-slabbed and sent to CGC and found to have RESTO.So why would TREY ask for a 10 day guarantee :screwy:

Second,Ken has been so kind as to enlighten us with Treys actual first email,after Trey's follow-up emails as he didn't feel like dealing with him,over a grade dispute if the book came back a lower CGC grade as Trey eluded to.

I am very interested in this book. However,since it is in a PGX holder I am alittle concerned as many Golden Age books that are PGX graded when submitted to CGC come back restored and or normally a point to a point and half lower. This topic has been discussed extensivly on the CGC boards which I am a member

Can you guarntee that the book will recieve a CGC blue label? Secondly I dont like to haggle over prices so what is the very best rock bottom price you are willing to accept for this book

Thank you for your time

Trey

- silver-agebuyer1975

and Ken's reply:

Hello, I Always guarantee that anything I sell in a Universal PGX holder will come back in a Universal CGC holder or I will refund, no problem. I am certain this book is unrestored. However, I could care less what CGC grades the book. If you are worried about what CGC's opinion of grade on this book is, then it's probably not the copy for you. You should probably wait for a copy that is already CGC graded. So, if you intend to buy the book, crack it and have it regraded by CGC – then argue value if it gets graded less in order to get a refund, let’s not go down that road.

Thanks

So the plot thickens, Trey as usual in his ineptitude is providing entertainment.

But perhaps Ken also reads these boards and knows about the OP history here?

Ok...

Thank you for your time

Trey

- silver-agebuyer1975

and Ken's reply:

Thanks

Wow, if that's the original conversation it paints a much different picture.

Although you'd have to assume that something else triggered the blocking, because at that point the seller was trying to work a deal. Anyone want to provide more emails?

Yeah, I'd say the plot thickens. :popcorn:

If the seller was one of us and the buyer was someone from ebay making these demands how many of us would be quick to block them as a bidder.

Look at how many BLOCK THIS BIDDER threads there have been in the past

I probably would have, especially given Trey's spelling.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

lol sorry guys that is one of my weak points I am not the best speller :sorry:

You should be using Firefox then and not Explorer. It will highlight misspelled words and with a right-click provide a list of suggested correct words.

Now if only it would turn my massive run on sentences into period delimited, bite sized statements.

If the seller was one of us and the buyer was someone from ebay making these demands how many of us would be quick to block them as a bidder.

Look at how many BLOCK THIS BIDDER threads there have been in the past

I probably would have, especially given Trey's spelling.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!! :banana:

lol sorry guys that is one of my weak points I am not the best speller :sorry:

You should be using Firefox then and not Explorer. It will highlight misspelled words and with a right-click provide a list of suggested correct words.

Now if only it would turn my massive run on sentences into period delimited, bite sized statements.

As will Opera.

Do you assume the same about anyone selling a nice book raw?

No, I assume that what I actually get grade-wise & restoration-wise can be a crapshoot - unless I'm buying from someone that I know has a proven track-record in both those areas.

One other reason to use PGX is that they are tremendously cheaper than CGC. Perhaps you get what you pay for, but their prices are more in line with what I think this type of service "should" cost. If you're a dealer working on tight margins and have a lot of books to grade, I can understand wanting to save on some up front grading fees even if it impacts liquidity down the road. Cap 3 is probably a bad example, although PGX charges $22 to grade a book like that and CGC charges $54. Not a negligible amount, but yeah, you're right, the CGC slab is going to fetch more than $32 more. I've got a really nice Hulk 2 I'd like to send in and I know it's not restored as I got it out of a legit OA collection, it sure sux I have to pay an extra $32 in order to not be accused of trying to hide resto I know isn't there.

So? I could have my neighbor's son look at all my books, and give his estimate as to the grade and whether it's restored or not - I'm sure that's going to be pretty cheap as well. And "Jim's Grading Service" would probably carry the same weight in the collector market as PGX does now.

But what about some $150 VF SA book you are pretty sure has no resto. PGX charges $14 and CGC charges $32. In volume that adds up and in terms of grading (rather than resto check) is there a real difference on that kind of book? Seems like we see plenty of head scratchers from both companies.

Yes, there is a real difference. One's a real grading company, trusted by collectors everywhere - the other one is some dude who's printing up labels in his garage.

Do we know for a fact that this seller sent it in to PGX or does he also buy them in the aftermarket (because, honestly, you can get them at a decent discount due to all the issues raised here)? I've heard of PGX missing resto, true, but who is checking CGC as in who is cracking blue label books out and having a resto check? Clearly CGC misses some stuff too and finds stuff sometimes that may or may not be there. I wouldn't send a $1900 book in to PGX either, that's true, but I understand the seller's perspective on the whole proposition, there's risk to this proposition which isn't going to be there with some other buyer. Someone else is going to be interested in the Cap 3, even PGXed, probably not at full-price, but there won't be risk of a return (outside of 10 days) in that scenario.

You mean someone else that isn't aware of PGX's reputation, and therefore will actually believe that the book is guaranteed restoration-free and in the listed condition? Yep, it's always a good business model to take advantage of the ill-informed :thumbsup:

Ok...

Thank you for your time

Trey

- silver-agebuyer1975

and Ken's reply:

Thanks

Wow, if that's the original conversation it paints a much different picture.

Although you'd have to assume that something else triggered the blocking, because at that point the seller was trying to work a deal. Anyone want to provide more emails?

Yeah, I'd say the plot thickens. :popcorn:

Apparently Ken did not want to do business with him after follow-up emails.

Ken said he stopped replying to Trey,as explained in the email from Ken to me,this message is refering to the emails i already posted:

Hi Scott,

Below is the email he sent me through ebay and my response to it. As you can see, there was no time constraints put on the guarantee of restoration. In fact, my ebay listings are quite clear that I gladly offer a 90 day policy if CGC finds resto. Why would I state privately that it’s only 10days? This person is insane and when I received subsequent emails from him, I decided I did not want to do business with him at all and blocked him, just like I have many others. I thought that was the end. Apparently not… however, it appears other cgc members have called him on his ridiculous behavior, even with the entire complaint he has being a –Lie- which he fabricated.

Best,

Ken

"This person is insane and when I received subsequent emails from him, I decided I did not want to do business with him at all and blocked him, just like I have many others. I thought that was the end. Apparently not… however, it appears other cgc members have called him on his ridiculous behavior, even with the entire complaint he has being a –Lie- which he fabricated."

Says it all really.

But maybe it wasn't Trey at all that tried to buy the book from Ken. Perhaps it was his brother, the one that manages the shop. You know, the one who is not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Oh wait, that was his brother from another crazy made up story.

Edit: For fun I decided to go back and scan that crazy thread. It is interesting that Trey ended up buying the Cap #3 that Roy posted in the thread.

The seller is not showing the following e-mails I sent him saying the grade didnt matter , He is hiding the rest of the e-mails that shows I was not concerned with the grade . Nor is he showing the e-mails of where he said he couldn't wait the time it took CGC to grade a book. The seller also admits he ignored all my pms and e- mails and just blocked me :makepoint: . So he really has no idea of what I sent him. I still say he has a bad attitude annd even if he was to unblock me I still wouldnt buy anything from him. I would rather deal with someone. Like Roy or Rick or Dale or Jamie and several others I have bought GA and SA books from on these boards

That being said it is a moot point now because I don't even look at the books he has for sale. He is the one who lost out on a large transaction and any further transactions with a seller who is good for the money when it comes to buying books. He chose to ignore me, So I chose to ignore him . That is his right just as it is my right to voice my oppionion and Ignore his sales. So really the issue is settled anyone who doesn't ask questions on a book of that value is just :screwy:

:sumo:

Caught your edit.

The seller is staying that he was giving an unconditional 90 day guarantee that the book was unrestored. Just didn't want to give a promise on grade.

Don't know if you read that or not.

The seller is staying that he was giving an unconditional 90 day guarantee that the book was unrestored. Just didn't want to give a promise on grade.

Don't know if you read that or not.

Yea I just did. And to that (and myself) I say doh!