• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am starting to feel the love for Romita Spidey

99 posts in this topic

I agree with the above guy saying, off topic, that McFarlane's Hulk was really refreshing. His pre 340 Hulk stuff was not that great, but with 340 the age of him inking his own work was apon us. Hulk 340 really changed the game artistically (well Arthur Adam's was doing very similar stuff during this time).

Ditko's covers were nothing compared to Romita's and I don't think that can be argued at all. Romita was a perfectionist (he says so himself), where as Ditko spent ALOT less time thinking and redrawing.

Thanks for that bit of information.

90% of drawing is erasing. If Romita drew with that much precision off the cuff... that would just be depressing. ( As in the complimentary: "That guy is so good it bums me out and makes me not want to draw." see also: Sargent, John Singer)

That he was a self proclaimed perfectionist just makes me appreciate his work even more.

I agree with the above guy saying, off topic, that McFarlane's Hulk was really refreshing. His pre 340 Hulk stuff was not that great, but with 340 the age of him inking his own work was apon us. Hulk 340 really changed the game artistically (well Arthur Adam's was doing very similar stuff during this time).

Ditko's covers were nothing compared to Romita's and I don't think that can be argued at all. Romita was a perfectionist (he says so himself), where as Ditko spent ALOT less time thinking and redrawing.

90% of drawing is erasing. If Romita drew with that much precision off the cuff... that would just be depressing. ( As in the complimentary: "That guy is so good it bums me out and makes me not want to draw." see also: Sargent, John Singer)

That he was a self proclaimed perfectionist just makes me appreciate his work even more.

Yeah I got that info from one of my Romita books that had him interviewed in it. On the flipside thou... Jack Kirby says that you should try to never erase (unless its absolutely necessary), but these two guys come at it from different ways of thought. Jack was just looking for the right composition (which came to him naturally after time) and of course the BIG action lines. Romita's story was that he felt internally pressured after Ditko and spent hours and hours of time on each page and would redraw it over and over.

I am much more a Romita fan than Kirby (as I like pretty lines and his great faces), but in drawing (I've been actively studying anatomy for 5 years) I tend to side with Kirby's philosophy, but in the end want to draw more like Romita. I never really erase, but it comes only with practice and practice.

Yeah I got that info from one of my Romita books that had him interviewed in it. On the flipside thou... Jack Kirby says that you should try to never erase (unless its absolutely necessary), but these two guys come at it from different ways of thought. Jack was just looking for the right composition (which came to him naturally after time) and of course the BIG action lines. Romita's story was that he felt internally pressured after Ditko and spent hours and hours of time on each page and would redraw it over and over.

I am much more a Romita fan than Kirby (as I like pretty lines and his great faces), but in drawing (I've been actively studying anatomy for 5 years) I tend to side with Kirby's philosophy, but in the end want to draw more like Romita. I never really erase, but it comes only with practice and practice.

Very cool man. (thumbs u

The Kirby deal with erasing... Interesting, Makes sense. Kirby's working in a refined/simplified in it's structure style. He wouldn't need to do a lot of erasing. I'd read somewhere that Kirby told Syd Shores, who in turn told Gene Colan, to "Always go with your first instinct." (In an interview in a Gene Colan sketchbook I think. I'll have to dig it up.) I always assumed he was talking about composition/narrative. He was probably talking about all aspects of drawing.

Getting caught up in the beauty of the line. I dig that. (That's why Dave Stevens is so amazing.) For me, unless I'm drawing from life, well, even then, I'm always erasing, I'll even erase the entire surface of the blank piece of paper before I lay pencil to it. (knocks the tooth off. and gives a better quality of line.)

Back on topic: I'd love to see some of Romita's finished pencil work. Does anyone have some to share? :wishluck:

Ditko had some cool covers- #8 being one of my favorites.

I've always loved the cover to ASM #20. #2 and #5 would also make my list of great Ditko Spidey covers. It is almost easier to name the so-so Ditko covers IMHO (#7, 19, 22, 36, to name some of the less impressive). This may border on sacrilege, but the cover to #1 isn't one of his better covers. If that cover were on any other book than the #1 it would be much less highly regarded.

I feel the same way about these covers. I'd add that I really like #23 for the dynamic scene, and one reason I've always liked #11 is how it shows Doc Ock somewhat suspended by his arms (very similar to a spider). When I first read through those early Spidey's, I always thought it was cool how he used his arms to maneuver/climb/etc. vs just to grab/fight . . . makes those arms seem a bit creepier. :)

#23 is my favorite Ditko cover. I think Spidey looks the best on that one.

Well we're not just talking about covers...I thought we're talking about the whole book... :baiting:

As to comparing just the covers and "arguing" who's are better...I'd "argue" that Ditko's are superior...so see, you're wrong...I'm "arguing" about it with you... :makepoint::devil:

Well we're not just talking about covers...I thought we're talking about the whole book... :baiting:

As to comparing just the covers and "arguing" who's are better...I'd "argue" that Ditko's are superior...so see, you're wrong...I'm "arguing" about it with you... :makepoint::devil:

Thpheftt(raspberry) Ditko's Gwen looks like a man in drag, what would he have made Mary Jane look like?

Romita's women are prettier. :makepoint:

Hmmm, could it be a coincidence that Ditko only got to draw MJ with her face shadowed? We got to see her pretty quickly after Romita took over...

lolhm

May well be something in that.

Lee and Ditko were not getting on - maybe Lee wanted MJ and Ditko preferred Gwen. (shrug)

Hmmm, could it be a coincidence that Ditko only got to draw MJ with her face shadowed? We got to see her pretty quickly after Romita took over...

lolhm

Lee and Ditko were not getting on - maybe Lee wanted MJ and Ditko preferred Gwen. (shrug)

The dispute was actually over the identity of the Green Goblin. From what I have read, Stan wanted Norman Osborn as GG, while Ditko hated that idea and wanted Gobby to be someone unknown to Peter. Exit Ditko. The MJ was just a bonus.

lolhm

The dispute was actually over the identity of the Green Goblin. From what I have read, Stan wanted Norman Osborn as GG, while Ditko hated that idea and wanted Gobby to be someone unknown to Peter. Exit Ditko. The MJ was just a bonus.

Too bad Ditko didn't get his way, then we never would have had that Norman Osborn/Gewn Stacy hookup revisionist wildly_fanciful_statement. :(

It sure seemed like a running gag to me; Peter’s reticence at meeting Mary Jane despite Aunt May’s insistence, while the reader is privy to the fact that MJ is beautiful, based on Betty Brant’s and Liz Allen’s reactions when they see her. The payoff is that the reader never gets to “see” Mary Jane either!!

Steve Ditko was brilliant at plotting these sorts of scenarios throughout his run on Spider-Man. Ditko may have spent less time redrawing than Romita, but I’m pretty sure all that plotting he did took a lot of thinking.

lolhm

It's gotta be true cause you read it on the internet right? lol

ASM was a top-selling mag at the time, Ditko wanted to get paid and have equal billing as Stan as he felt (and still feels) like he was getting the shaft. Stan had control and they couldn't get past it, that's it my friendly fellow forumites.

Nothing as sinister or involved as most of us wish. Just good old ego and greed...

I thought Ditko's women looked ok.

Obviously not like Romita's though.

Ditko drew the nicest set of gams in the SA....although Wayne Boring and Jim Mooney also threw a nice curve on Supergirl :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

lolhm

ASM was a top-selling mag at the time, Ditko wanted to get paid and have equal billing as Stan as he felt (and still feels) like he was getting the shaft. Stan had control and they couldn't get past it, that's it my friendly fellow forumites.

Nothing as sinister or involved as most of us wish. Just good old ego and greed...

No I think there were many reasons he left.

Wanting equal billing, more money, GG's reveal, opposing political views to Stan, maybe MJ/GS too.

Jonathan Ross did an excellent documentary 'In Search of Steve Ditko'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Steve_Ditko

lolhm

No I think there were many reasons he left.

Wanting equal billing, more money, GG's reveal, opposing political views to Stan, maybe MJ/GS too.

Jonathan Ross did an excellent documentary 'In Search of Steve Ditko'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Steve_Ditko

Believe what you want my friend. But that doc did nothing to give legs to the theory that Ditko left because of the identity of GG.

Stan and Steve simply did not get along at the end.

I believe someone else said it best (Mark Evanier I think):

Stan was too much of a liberal for Ditko and too conservative for Kirby.

:bump:

1. 85% of what makes Spider-man great was done in AF 15 and ASM 1-40. Ditko doesn't get ENOUGH credit for his part in creating one of the greatest superheroes in the history of comics.

2. But Romita Sr.'s art became THE definitive look of the character. In fact, Romita Sr.'s art really became the look of Marvel Comics. The more Marvel licensed products, the more they used Romita's art, NOT Kirby.

His ASM run on covers started with #39 and with the exception of a few by others here and there, lasted into the 200's. Amazing. I love Ditko AND I love Romita!

3. Ross Andru's ASM run is under-rated. Some will disagree, but I liked it alot.

4. I only liked Gil Kane's Spidey when Romita inked him.

5. McFarlane was a great cover artist. I've tried re-reading those stories and they kinda blow. Does Marvel even reprint that stuff anymore?

And finally here's an interesting article on Ditko which touches on his leaving ASM. Conjecture? Sure. But it's all we have.

Anyone who is a fan of Ditko/Spidey should read this! Interesting insight!

Ditko Shrugged

Its hard to put one of these guys over the other. They both kicked royal butt for their day. They both left their mark on Spidey and had classic comics and covers and their own distinctive styles. I love both their works really. These are great comics. I also thought Andru is very underrated and drew a fantastic Spider-Man.

I find it depressing that McFarlane and Bagley even make it into the discussion here. I think they are okay artists, but I don't think they rate with the legends of Spider-man. They had decent runs and I'm sure plenty of fans and I'm sure they still do. But I'm fine leaving them out of this. Ditko/Romita/Andru/Kane are where its at IMHO.