• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First time submitting books to CGC -- wow -- PLOD runs rampant

14 posts in this topic

I bought most of my golden age material during the late 1980s, via mail order.

All through reputable dealers. There were no comic conventions near me, so

mail order was about the only option.

Just got through with my first submission to CGC, with 5 books that I considered

sort of the cream of my crop. The grading was as expected, but 4 of the books

came back as restored. Sheesh, 4 out of 5. FOUR OUT OF FIVE!

Two with slight restoration and 2 with moderate restoration.

What a bummer, man.

chong voice>

When I was buying these, restoration was just not an issue. No one

thought much about it.

But now, holy magic-marker, Batman!

I can't wait to find out that 80% of the rest of my books are restored!

Anyone else have this kind of first experience, that wasn't quite what

they expected?

Thanks for letting me vent,

gozer

-----

Marjorie, please. I enjoy ALL the meats of our cultural stew.

All through reputable dealers. There were no comic conventions near me, so

mail order was about the only option.

Just got through with my first submission to CGC, with 5 books that I considered

sort of the cream of my crop. The grading was as expected, but 4 of the books

came back as restored. Sheesh, 4 out of 5. FOUR OUT OF FIVE!

Two with slight restoration and 2 with moderate restoration.

Did some of these books come from Mark Wilson and World's Finest Comics. I heard that he was rather notorious for doing work on his books even though they may have already been in near perfect condition. I guess it was hard for him to resist since he was a natural restorer at heart.

It must be killing him that he can't touch any of the books that he has on his new PGC website. Or maybe he's found a way to open and reseal the CGC slabs without any form of detection! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

sorry to hear that . I wasnt buying golden age till about 10 years ago and have tried to be careful always examining each book with a blacklight but I'm sure I have some lurking. If you bought the books that long ago hopefully your ok as far as what you paid for them anyways with the big price increases the past 15-20 years

I know how you feel.

I had three Silver-Age Keys come back with very minor restoration. One, I kind of expected (knew I should have sent it back the day I bought it), but the other two I had no idea. 893frustrated.gif

Pretty much the reason I only buy CGC books now, unless the book isn't really worth too much (as in I will never have it CGC'd).

I do have to admit that 4 out 5 is pretty bad. 893whatthe.gif

Please tell us the Title, Issue, CGC grade and Restoration (and maybe post scans). If nothing else, you will learn to look more closely at books when you submit.

All through reputable dealers.

Or so you thought.

confused.gif

I'm really sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest of your books are ok. If these were the 'cream of the crop' then they were likely the biggest targets for resto. Hopefully the cheaper books are OK 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

One comic back in my first submission was a Fantastic Four #48. this came back at a lovely 4.5 with moderate resto 893whatthe.gif That was a real bummer, I never saw that coming!

Now I know why people say that investing in comics is bad. Imagine if you invested all your cash in the 80s and now they are worth less than what you paid for them, because of the PLOD 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Now I know why people say that investing in comics is bad. Imagine if you invested all your cash in the 80s and now they are worth less than what you paid for them, because of the PLOD

I would guess that many collectors who had nice collections from books purchased in the 80's and 90's (i.e. not original owner collections), saw very little gain in collection value with the advent of CGC.

Simply put:

1) Most books were probably overgraded. The NM that you paid guide and half for ten years ago is today's VF+.

2) Obviously, as shown, many books have been restored and therefore have lost significant value.

Plus, remember to sell the VF+ or better book for market value, you probably need to get the books CGC'd.

Example: Ten years ago you buy a Tales of Suspense #85 for $15.00 in NM. Now, you send the book to CGC, it's a NM- (not bad) and you sell it for $65.00. But it cost you $15 plus $30 (grading fee) for a total of $45. About a 4% return on your investment (assuming zero selling fees). 893whatthe.gif

Obviously, a few collectors did very well as they were the one's who really did buy the TRUE near mints and were able to avoid the restored books.

Yes,

I ran into the same thing, but only with some golden age books. I got plods aplenty from my early batmans and detectives. Ended up selling them all on ebay (some for losses to boot). One selling tool I recommend, however, is to crack the slab and sell the book raw on ebay with full disclosure of the restoration. You will realize a higher price than if you sold it still in the PLOD. Just my experience.

How about posting all five books, sans labels, and letting us try to figure out which one doesn't have any resto? Don't know how easy/effective that might be based on modest-sized scans, but might be an interesting experiment...?