• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOS! Children of the 70's & 80's - Help Identify these please!

42 posts in this topic

I have been struggling for about a decade, trying to find two books from my youth. The trouble is, I do not remember the title, author or publisher, so it has been REALLY hard. I have scoured ebay, abe, amazon, used book stores, you name it to find these without luck. I have done a sketch of how I remember each cover, but the details could be off, I haven't seen either one in over 20 years.

The 1st is a paperback I bought around 1981 from the book mobile that came to our school each year. It was paperback sized, and I remember one story was called "Silky". I remember this book as being terrifying! Again, the title may not be correct in my sketch.

The 2nd was a Monster Activity book of sorts, Magazine sized. It had 2 color printing inside, I remember a board game on a 2 page spread, and a page about how to tell if someone is a werewolf most vividly. The cover was some mix of purple, green & orange. I believe this was from the late 70's, as I was much younger when I had this one. Title may be totally different, but the general image is close.

Anyone with any leads, hints, or even better - scans, please let me know! :wishluck:

SOS.jpg

Hi Shiverbones,

I'm probably way off, but the artwork on the second one brings back strong associative memories of Dynamite magazine from the 70s (remember the count stuff?).

dynamite+monster+mag.jpg

That is really cool to see again, I'll have to get some of those! Not it, but certainly a welcome trip down memory lane!

Get this one here... I'm working on the other one. :gossip:

"Haunted Houses" is a 126-page anthology of 25 supernatural tales published by Scholastic Book Services. The stories are told as true, each with its unique historical and geographical background, mainly in the British Isles. Each is also embellished with details from the author's vivid imagination: "There were whole suckling pigs, stuffed pheasants, thrush pies, and venison roasts. These and other mouth-watering dishes were spread out on handwoven linen tablecloths and served on gold and silver plates. As for the kegs of ale and crystal decanters of wines and brandies, their contents too were served in goblets of silver and gold." In the same story, we also have "...two, hideous grinning skulls. They were incredibly filthy looking--covered with green mold, vermin crawling from the eye sockets, and matted with wild, maggot-infested hair." It's definitely enough to take away your appetite, in spite of the gorgeous table settings.

The ghosts in this book are not silent. They scream, cackle maniacally, utter terrible curses and grim prophecies, and hammer away in the basement. They emerge from locked closets, attics, gigantic coffins, and coaches drawn by headless horses. They stalk grimly into wedding feasts, and give off horrible stenches. (This author scatters adjectives and adverbs with a lavish hand.)

The 25 stories are: "The Legend of the Screaming Skulls)," "The Lady in the Closet," "Silky," "The Phantom of Jedburgh Castle," "The Ghosts of the Boleyns," "The Mystery House of Horror," "The Phantom Redhead of the Old Parish Jail," "The Ghost with the Missing Shoe," "The MacKenzie Ghosts," "The House of the Lonely Ghosts," "The Room of the Murderous Phantoms," "The Invasion of the Fox Spirits," "Horror by the Sea," "The Coffin in the Empty Room," "The Tragic Ghost of Cambridge University," "The Noisy Ghost of Barbey," "The House with the Living Ghost," "The Little Weeping Ghost," "The Unsolved Mystery," "The Screaming Skull of Belliscombe House," "The Ghostly Party," "The Curse of Mouse Tower," "The Ghostly Beautician," "The Cold Dead Hand," "The Ghost of Powis Castle," "The Four-Legged Ghosts of Ballechin House," "A Blood-drinking Ghost," and "The Girl with the Beckoning Eyes."

"Haunted Houses" is a 126-page anthology of 25 supernatural tales published by Scholastic Book Services. The stories are told as true, each with its unique historical and geographical background, mainly in the British Isles. Each is also embellished with details from the author's vivid imagination: "There were whole suckling pigs, stuffed pheasants, thrush pies, and venison roasts. These and other mouth-watering dishes were spread out on handwoven linen tablecloths and served on gold and silver plates. As for the kegs of ale and crystal decanters of wines and brandies, their contents too were served in goblets of silver and gold." In the same story, we also have "...two, hideous grinning skulls. They were incredibly filthy looking--covered with green mold, vermin crawling from the eye sockets, and matted with wild, maggot-infested hair." It's definitely enough to take away your appetite, in spite of the gorgeous table settings.

The ghosts in this book are not silent. They scream, cackle maniacally, utter terrible curses and grim prophecies, and hammer away in the basement. They emerge from locked closets, attics, gigantic coffins, and coaches drawn by headless horses. They stalk grimly into wedding feasts, and give off horrible stenches. (This author scatters adjectives and adverbs with a lavish hand.)

The 25 stories are: "The Legend of the Screaming Skulls)," "The Lady in the Closet," "Silky," "The Phantom of Jedburgh Castle," "The Ghosts of the Boleyns," "The Mystery House of Horror," "The Phantom Redhead of the Old Parish Jail," "The Ghost with the Missing Shoe," "The MacKenzie Ghosts," "The House of the Lonely Ghosts," "The Room of the Murderous Phantoms," "The Invasion of the Fox Spirits," "Horror by the Sea," "The Coffin in the Empty Room," "The Tragic Ghost of Cambridge University," "The Noisy Ghost of Barbey," "The House with the Living Ghost," "The Little Weeping Ghost," "The Unsolved Mystery," "The Screaming Skull of Belliscombe House," "The Ghostly Party," "The Curse of Mouse Tower," "The Ghostly Beautician," "The Cold Dead Hand," "The Ghost of Powis Castle," "The Four-Legged Ghosts of Ballechin House," "A Blood-drinking Ghost," and "The Girl with the Beckoning Eyes."

DICEY!!!!!! (worship) I can't stop smiling! That is IT! I remember most of those stories, and the actual prose they quote! WOW! I am stunned, it took you mere seconds, and I have been searching for YEARS! You are THE MAN!!!!

DICEY!!!!!! (worship) I can't stop smiling! That is IT! I remember most of those stories, and the actual prose they quote! WOW! I am stunned, it took you mere seconds, and I have been searching for YEARS! You are THE MAN!!!!

Who loves you? :whee:

Who loves you? :whee:

I am on :cloud9: big time!

I found you a copy....$8 shipped.

Haunted House on AbeBooks

I just confirmed it with an image of the cover found on ebay

Pretty close to my memory

Pretty damn close. I'm getting close to time to leave for work. I'll look more later tonight.

The other one might take a little searching.

I found you a copy....$8 shipped.

Haunted House on AbeBooks

Thanks Chris, I ordered one and will probably buy a 2nd for back up! I think what it was, I always remembered the title as ghosts, or Hauntings, but when doing the sketch today, for some reason I wrote "Haunted Houses" and that was the key.

Good luck, Matt! I have a similar quest for a Tell-A-Tale book from my youth. Would love to see the cover of it again!

Do you have any details on that book? Maybe I could help (shrug)

It has colorful round weird faces on the cover- I'm thinking they were balloon faces, but not too sure. Pretty sure it's from the early to mid 1960's.